PARADIXO

Born to Die Turns Half a Decade Old!

I'm sorry, my post was getting to long so I'll just post another one for "This Is What Makes Us Girls" :hottie:

Okay, so regarding "TIWMUG". This is the song that took me the most time to appreciate. Apart from that one, I LOVED the whole album, every track, with no exception. But somehow, this track never appealed to me. So I deleted it from my music library and just stopped listening to it. 

And then, on a warm spring day, I put on my BTD CD in the car and listened to it from start to finish. I was about to skip the track when I decided to give it another go. So I did. And... I liked it. Not a big fan but I realized that there was a real narrative in the story. Listened to the album some more and then jumped forward to the track, listened to it another time, then again, then again. Next thing you know, I was jamming on the outro like nobody's business. 

Honestly, I get why people say it's overproduced, it does sound loud at the end and everything but like any other track on the record, I think that's precisely what makes it unique. The sound she had before, with those bass and strings was unique in its own right, just as this fusion of hip hop and orchestral strings is, so the more the better ! 

I find it interesting that she chose to close the album with "This is What Makes Us Girl", for the standard edition. Since I forgot about it for a long time, "Summertime Sadness" closed it (or "Lucky Ones", depending on the way you look at it). It must be quite significant to her, yet she never sand it live... I wonder why that is. Could it be that personal to her ? Or does she simply not like the song anymore ?  :whatever2:

Anyway, a track that I learned to appreciate and now officially thoroughly enjoy. 

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

I LOVE blue Jeans with all my heart. It was actually the first song I heard and it has a special place.

This is What Makes Us Girls... It's weird because for some reason when I had got the album, I thought there was only 11 songs so I didn't hear it for a while. And when I did, it gives me this feeling of just teenage fun. Which is why it reminds of a sadder version of Prom Song (Gone Wrong) Teenage Wasteland.

I'd like to say that the chorus in Blue Jeans made me feel something that I've felt only a few times in my life. Watching her singing this song on Saturday Night Live made me a fan... I already knew Video Games and Born to Die (which was a life-changing song and will forever be a favorite) but Blue Jeans was simply mind-altering. Wow.

Blue Jeans is such a dynamic song. I used to hate it but now I absolutely adore it. The refrain is just so powerful and ethereal, it's like a wave of emotions hitting me every time I listen to it. The urgency in her voice is beautiful.

VyIsfwC.jpg

I'd like to say that the chorus in Blue Jeans made me feel something that I've felt only a few times in my life. Watching her singing this song on Saturday Night Live made me a fan... I already knew Video Games and Born to Die (which was a life-changing song and will forever be a favorite) but Blue Jeans was simply mind-altering. Wow.

Because it's such an important part of her history, this should be here, I think:

It's been up a year, so maybe LDR is over being annoyed at the critical response to these performances. I certainly hope so. SNL was also ground zero on my fandom, though discovering her AKA stuff later was what sealed the deal. While many comments to this video are predictably negative, this may reflect a bias in the type of people, who choose to comment on youtube (note also the likes, which are oppositely trended to comments).  My own opinion about the critical response to Blue Jeans SNL is that they arise more from her defying expectations for how mainstream pop divas should sound (inarticulately expressed as she can't sing, etc). I also think to be objective, we should say SNL performances were "controversial" rather than "bad", because a lot of people (myself included) still like them. 

Since we're in topic, I can't say that the SNL performance was good but it was certantly good for her career. Even tho she already had had a quite succesful single in Europe (Video Games) she was still mostly unkown to the big crowds in the US and the whole backlash was a great way to draw attention to Born to Die which was about to be released.

I still believe to this day that without SNL, BTD would've remained relatively unknown and thanks to the controversy it was able to reach a greater audience.

:sadcore3:

With this i don't mean in any way that this tragic performance was in any way staged since until today Lana is still depressed because of it and won't perform live tv (and last thing: has anyone noticed how she only performed in NYC ONCE after SNL ? it's ike she was traumatized)

giphy.gif

I never listened to that snl performance

It wasn't extremely bad but when she said "please" I died a little Ahahahahahahahahahahah sorry Lana.

Does anyone know why it ended up like that? Stage fright, nervousness, drugs, alcohol?

It wasn't extremely bad but when she said "please" I died a little Ahahahahahahahahahahah sorry Lana.

Does anyone know why it ended up like that? Stage fright, nervousness, drugs, alcohol?

She was sick + extremely, extremely nervous.

I actually like that part and think it may have been one of her famous post-modern references:

\/
 o"    NO  PPPUHLEEEEEEZZZ!
>>

“Radio”

The happiest track on Born to Die is another collaboration with songwriter Justin Parker dedicated to those guys who told Del Rey she would never make it as a singer.

“How do you like me now?” :legend:

YAS I've been waiting! 

I've seen a lot of people lately dissing Radio but it's actually probably my favorite track on BtD... I listened to it on repeat when I finally moved out from home and moved to Philadelphia. When the Philly skyline came into view I immediately put it on. I knew this was gonna be my own paradise... "Now I'm in LA and it's paradise" only philly haha. And so far I've been right. Moving away was the best thing I ever did, never been happier in my life.

tumblr_oz83mp1hxO1wc2gv3o1_500.png