white gold

Does your family know about Lana?

Okay so I just wanted to share a random thought I had today and pose a question to y'all. 

I was reading this interview for the first time today and she directly compared UV's sound to The Eagles. My mom used to always play The Eagles in the car while growing up. Now when I visit home she always plays that satellite radio station "70's on 7" since that was the era she grew up in, and occasionally they play stuff like Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, etc. and it got me thinking. I already kind of thought this but never really shared it with anyone, but UV probably had me hooked because I was raised around that type of music and it's kind of familiar to me (though I definitely wasn't exposed to psychedelic type rock as a kid lol :toofunny:)

I have 3 older sisters who drove me around a lot when I was younger, and they played a lot of Tori Amos, Bob Dylan, Radiohead, Joni Mitchell, etc. They're particularly obsessed with Bob Dylan. I remember they would always tan in the backyard while listening to the Beatles too lol. Lana actually reminds me of my older sisters tbh, which is probably why I’m so obsessed with her (a lot of my siblings and I moved away from each other around the time BTD and UV came out, and I kind miss them a lot sometimes). Also the youngest one got into a lot of rap music when she was in high school (she smoked a lot of pot lmao) but my older sisters were not those kind of girlies.  :lanasrs:

Anyways, what I’m trying to say is that Lana’s music seems kind of like a natural midpoint of all these different artists. I mean, she’s an individual and isn’t exactly like any one of these artists, but it’s really cool how she pulls a lot from these genres I was exposed to as a kid. I’m really thankful to have her as an artist in this day and age, because there’s absolutely no one like her in this kind of space. The nostalgic feeling she evokes for me is really unique, which is why I always get super duper excited for her releases. 

I haven’t introduced her to any of my siblings or my mom. I remember playing “Blue Jeans” in the car while my mom was teaching me how to drive but she was too busy teaching me how to drive to comment on the music I was playing lmao. I'm honestly not sure how they would react, and I barely have an idea of what they listen to nowadays. There’s no natural way to bring her up at our family holidays tbh, but I would say she was my favorite artist if they ever asked me. 

Anyways, sharing the musical interests of my family was basically a roundabout way of asking y’all:
  • Does your family like Lana? Do they have an opinions on her? Do they know who she is?
  • Do you think any of the music your parents/siblings like passed onto you? Any of it related to Lana?

Honestly I've thought about bringing her up (when the opportunity presents itself--I don't want to be an annoying campaigning stan), but I know I would be so triggered if they trashed her or had some pre-conceived negative opinion on her. :rollin:

my dad hardcore stans Jimmy Buffett and didn't interact with me that much as a kid so there's that too  :rip:

My mom always sends me Lana related news (days after it actually happens, so I already know about it but It's a kind gesture) and my twin sister has a couple of songs by her on her phone. My brother, Alex, called me "Lana Del" for a bit LMFAO. My dad thinks I just have a crush on her which is why I have so many photos of her in my room  :deadbanana:

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

Interesting topic. I am older than most of you. (60, ouch) My family knows that I have seen Lana but they have no idea how big a fan I am. My family and friends have no idea about my YouTube channel of the Lana and Bob videos. My friends daughter who is 19 knows. She told me that some of her friends have seen them. I actually have a mild fear that someone I know will see one and then spread the word or post on Facebook. It's just that I don't have the energy to walk someone through the whole Lana saga. I am sure they would all love her voice but probably wouldn't get my enthusiasm. I've made over 30 videos and no one has bumped into them yet so I think I'm safe for a while.

I spoke to my mom about her once. My mom mostly listens to country and Top 50 upbeat songs like "Roar". edit: She's also a massive Bowie stan, was really upset when he passed. And when I was a kid she used to play No Doubt, Fleetwood Mac and Blink 182 in the car while we were driving, but she hasn't listened to any of those in atleast a decade.

When I went to see her in concert my dad had to drive me (I had no car at the time :toofunny: ) so I told him a bit about her, but I haven't mentioned her since. My Dad only listens to music pre-1900s (no that's not a joke).

Frankly I almost feel embarrassed to stan for her, anytime I'v brought her up to friends they make me feel like a moron for liking her (thinking back to my friend will saying "you don't seem like the type" and my other friend attacking me for her "unfeminist" lyrics...) There's a bit of solace in this forum being able to talk about her without judgment (mostly).

tumblr_oz83mp1hxO1wc2gv3o1_500.png

besides my brother, no one in my family knows of lana. i just don't share music with any of my family because they never like what i listen to. i don't even think my brother likes her, he just knows about her because of joe budden's mixtape. however, he doesn't complain when we listen to it in my car so maybe he secretly loves her

oh and to answer the second question, absolutely. i listen to the same hard rock my mom does, the same classic rock and country my dad does, and the hip hop my brother does. i wish i had the same affect on them

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

• Does your family like Lana? Do they have an opinions on her? Do they know who she is?

My brother and sister know her, and they both like her from what they know of her. My brother says she has a strong voice, and my sister likes her but only listens to Summertime Sadness. My sister thinks she's cool though, and when I showed her the tweet on the witchcraft rituals she was like "She's so cool!" (me and her are both witches so..). My dad was listening to the radio when Blue Jeans came on and he seemed to enjoy it cause he didn't turn it of lol :P

• Do you think any of the music your parents/siblings like passed onto you? Any of it related to Lana?

Absolutely! I grew up listening to Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, R.E.M, The Doors, Nirvana, David Bowie, Metallica, which was my dads music. And The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, ABBA, The Who, which was my mums music. My grandma also listens to Nina and Billie!

It's related to Lana because she likes basically all of them, and I can often hear their influence in her songs (even those she hasn't mentioned, like ABBA i can hear in her music sometimes), if she doesn't directly refer to them in her lyrics. 

Even if I didn't grow up listening to this music though, I'd still be fascinated by Lana, but I may not have the same appreciation for the music she's keeping close to us in this new decade. 

Maybe I should just play her covers when I'm doing things around the house, like Summer Wine, Some Things Last A Long Time, Please Dont Let Me Be Misunderstood, Blue Velvet, and then my parents will recognise the songs ;)

my mom thinks she's really pretty and she knows im a big fan. she doesnt know much about her music though and tbh i hope it stays that way. she would probably freak out because of the explicit lyrics (especially the daddy ones  :toofunny: )

Also the youngest one got into a lot of rap music 

@ me next time (lol)

--I wouldn't say my family likes her bc they dont listen to her lol, therefore they dont have an opinion of her. But they do know of her exisntece bc of my stanning

--My parents were born and raised on Spanish music or anything that played in Puertorican radio. My dad specifically was into American rock and pop-rock and later spanish rock  in his teens and young adult years so i think he would like a bit of UV.  My sister is 9 so she's too busy listening to Katy Perry and Top 40. One of my cousins heard a few songs from BTD  like 4 years ago and said Dark Paradise was ok-ish, that the music was too slow lol 

--but overall (my parents) theyre not into modern music but they do enjoy Adele, Bruno Mars and one or two every so Top 40 radio hits apart from Spanish music 

but he's an ignorant intolerant asšhole anyways so.. :hottie:

Just like mine lol

Mum knows about her but pays little attention. She doesn't mind me playing her full blast etc The only track she hates is FMWUTTT Which I can understand coming from her perspective

My sister Sammie hates her to bits and calls her depressing and boring. She has awful taste in music so her opinion is invalid lol But the other one, Sarah use to like Lana till she overplayed BTD/PD to death. Hopefully she will come back into the light one day

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

my mom thinks she's really pretty and she knows im a big fan. she doesnt know much about her music though and tbh i hope it stays that way. she would probably freak out because of the explicit lyrics (especially the daddy ones  :toofunny: )

Oh god same about the daddy thing. 

Once I was playing music in the car when my dad was driving, and Shades of Cool came on, and i left it on thinking he'd love the instrumental sound, but as soon as it got to "he calls for me and not for youuu" i changed tracks. I dont wanna be judged :')

Interesting topic. I am older than most of you. (60, ouch) My family knows that I have seen Lana but they have no idea how big a fan I am. My family and friends have no idea about my YouTube channel of the Lana and Bob videos. My friends daughter who is 19 knows. She told me that some of her friends have seen them. I actually have a mild fear that someone I know will see one and then spread the word or post on Facebook. It's just that I don't have the energy to walk someone through the whole Lana saga. I am sure they would all love her voice but probably wouldn't get my enthusiasm. I've made over 30 videos and no one has bumped into them yet so I think I'm safe for a while.

I'm not enthusiastic (or talented) enough to record covers, but I definitely share your sentiments with regard to walking someone through "the whole Lana saga". If a random acquaintance asks me if I like her, I'll just say "yeah... like way too much tbh" and spare them the struggle of enduring my super long rant about why she is one of my fav celebs of all time. They don't need to know me like that lol. My close friends have mostly been walked through the Lana saga out of curiosity. My super duper close friends share a similar appreciation as me, but are definitely not as obsessed. Although one of them tears up to Old Money every time he hears it, and one has "Te deseo, cariño, boy, it's you I desire" in his grindr profile. lol. 

I only share my Lana saga with my close friends because it truly is a "saga". I don't like giving a simple answer like "My fav album is UV, but I like all of her work." because I feel like Lana deserves more than that lol. If someones about to get sucked into the Lana saga with me, I always ask first, "Do you really wanna go there?" :toofunny: