NamiraWilhelm

What Are You Reading?

On 2/14/2024 at 11:12 PM, dollanganger said:

its been a sweet little series except for some points

Reveal hidden contents

me when the random animal abuse racism etc:nene:

but idrc about their children or how anne just doesnt feel like anne anymore..and now im on rainbow valley which is almost entirely about some random guy's kids??? what is her problem

All completely true :deadbanana: When I re-read the series I usually stop at book 3, those are definitely the most charming

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

I'm reading Joan Didion for the first time, specifically Slouching Towards Bethlehem which I've almost finished.. her writing is truly exquisite, I keep pausing and wondering how one can even construct sentences like that. I really want to read The White Album and Play It As It Lays next.

And the subject matter of the essays in this collection (and as far as I understand Joan Didion's work in general) is sooo interesting as a Lana fan;  California, Los Angeles,  Hollywood, the state of "The American Dream"...

I was curious to see if Lana has ever mentioned Joan Didion and it seems like she hasn't but when I searched the forums I found an old post from @Trash Magic about this photoshoot of Joan Didion maybe having inspired the Ultraviolence cover and I can really see it tbh

20DIDION-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

joan-didion-appreciation-img01-164797697

img-holdingjoandidion_154139774659.jpg

4 hours ago, honeyslow said:

I'm reading Joan Didion for the first time, specifically Slouching Towards Bethlehem which I've almost finished.. her writing is truly exquisite, I keep pausing and wondering how one can even construct sentences like that. I really want to read The White Album and Play It As It Lays next.

And the subject matter of the essays in this collection (and as far as I understand Joan Didion's work in general) is sooo interesting as a Lana fan;  California, Los Angeles,  Hollywood, the state of "The American Dream"...

I was curious to see if Lana has ever mentioned Joan Didion and it seems like she hasn't but when I searched the forums I found an old post from @Trash Magic about this photoshoot of Joan Didion maybe having inspired the Ultraviolence cover and I can really see it tbh

her novel play it as it lays is EXTREMELY lana coded! lady on the edge of sanity, long aimless drives around los angles...

just started kelly link's new novel the book of love and it's already incredible, i love her so much.

aOaIzH2.gif

I just finished:

• The Plague by Albert Camus - hits differently after Covid, and Camus is a master of weaving philosophy into fiction in a great way for beginners
  • The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula le Guin - an incredibly short story that I couldn't stop thinking about all day
  • The Devil by Leo Tolstoy - a novella about obsession and addiction that's nowhere near as good as his longer works but still worth the read

Now I'm attempting to tackle The Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. I tried to read it last year but life got in the way! It's part of my "reading everything Lana ever mentioned" list ... 

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

I'm currently reading John by Cynthia Lennon. It's a very interesting, detailed biography about the life of Cynthia Lennon and her relationship with John Lennon, all the way from when they first met in 1957 until his assassination in 1980. The book is very honest and made me realize how much of a bad person John Lennon was :eyes: Overall it's a great book and I would recommend it if you're interested in anything Beatles related

𝓕𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓱 𝓯𝓻𝓸𝓶 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓼𝓱𝓸𝓻𝓮

𝓑𝓵𝓸𝓷𝓭 𝓱𝓪𝓲𝓻 𝓲𝓼 𝔀𝓲𝓭𝓮

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓸𝓬𝓮𝓪𝓷 𝓶𝓪𝓴𝓮𝓼 𝓶𝓮 𝓬𝓻𝔂

༝ ˚ 。⋆ 𓇼 ⋆。 ˚ ༝

right now I'm reading "elvis and me" by Priscilla Presley and I am also finishing up "a little life" by hanya yanagihara. a book I really recommend that I finished recently is 'flowers for algernon' by Daniel Keyes, it was actually such a beautiful book and got me feeling all the feels. :ahh: