NamiraWilhelm

What Are You Reading?

On 2/14/2024 at 11:12 PM, dollanganger said:

its been a sweet little series except for some points

Reveal hidden contents

me when the random animal abuse racism etc:nene:

but idrc about their children or how anne just doesnt feel like anne anymore..and now im on rainbow valley which is almost entirely about some random guy's kids??? what is her problem

All completely true :deadbanana: When I re-read the series I usually stop at book 3, those are definitely the most charming

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

I'm reading Joan Didion for the first time, specifically Slouching Towards Bethlehem which I've almost finished.. her writing is truly exquisite, I keep pausing and wondering how one can even construct sentences like that. I really want to read The White Album and Play It As It Lays next.

And the subject matter of the essays in this collection (and as far as I understand Joan Didion's work in general) is sooo interesting as a Lana fan;  California, Los Angeles,  Hollywood, the state of "The American Dream"...

I was curious to see if Lana has ever mentioned Joan Didion and it seems like she hasn't but when I searched the forums I found an old post from @Trash Magic about this photoshoot of Joan Didion maybe having inspired the Ultraviolence cover and I can really see it tbh

20DIDION-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp

joan-didion-appreciation-img01-164797697

img-holdingjoandidion_154139774659.jpg

4 hours ago, honeyslow said:

I'm reading Joan Didion for the first time, specifically Slouching Towards Bethlehem which I've almost finished.. her writing is truly exquisite, I keep pausing and wondering how one can even construct sentences like that. I really want to read The White Album and Play It As It Lays next.

And the subject matter of the essays in this collection (and as far as I understand Joan Didion's work in general) is sooo interesting as a Lana fan;  California, Los Angeles,  Hollywood, the state of "The American Dream"...

I was curious to see if Lana has ever mentioned Joan Didion and it seems like she hasn't but when I searched the forums I found an old post from @Trash Magic about this photoshoot of Joan Didion maybe having inspired the Ultraviolence cover and I can really see it tbh

her novel play it as it lays is EXTREMELY lana coded! lady on the edge of sanity, long aimless drives around los angles...

just started kelly link's new novel the book of love and it's already incredible, i love her so much.

aOaIzH2.gif

I just finished:

• The Plague by Albert Camus - hits differently after Covid, and Camus is a master of weaving philosophy into fiction in a great way for beginners
  • The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula le Guin - an incredibly short story that I couldn't stop thinking about all day
  • The Devil by Leo Tolstoy - a novella about obsession and addiction that's nowhere near as good as his longer works but still worth the read

Now I'm attempting to tackle The Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. I tried to read it last year but life got in the way! It's part of my "reading everything Lana ever mentioned" list ... 

I'm currently reading John by Cynthia Lennon. It's a very interesting, detailed biography about the life of Cynthia Lennon and her relationship with John Lennon, all the way from when they first met in 1957 until his assassination in 1980. The book is very honest and made me realize how much of a bad person John Lennon was :eyes: Overall it's a great book and I would recommend it if you're interested in anything Beatles related

2bfdb5f27c0411b17e7345642d0743ba99f47af0
 𝓟𝓾𝓽 𝓶𝓮 𝓸𝓷𝓽𝓸 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓫𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓴 𝓶𝓸𝓽𝓸𝓻𝓬𝔂𝓬𝓵𝓮

𝓕𝓲𝓯𝓽𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓫𝓪𝓫𝔂 𝓭𝓸𝓵𝓵 𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓼 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓶𝔂 '𝓘 𝓭𝓸' 

𝓘𝓽 𝓸𝓷𝓵𝔂 𝓽𝓪𝓴𝓮𝓼 𝓽𝔀𝓸 𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼 𝓽𝓸 𝓝𝓮𝓿𝓪𝓭𝓪

⋆.˚⭒⋆.˚─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───⋆.˚⭒⋆.˚ 

right now I'm reading "elvis and me" by Priscilla Presley and I am also finishing up "a little life" by hanya yanagihara. a book I really recommend that I finished recently is 'flowers for algernon' by Daniel Keyes, it was actually such a beautiful book and got me feeling all the feels. :ahh:

34 minutes ago, ultrabanisters said:

has anyone got any recommendations for something spooky, horror-ey but also kinda murder mystery thrillerey? :hooker:

I picked up Every Dead Thing by John Connolly, I haven't started it yet but I think it matches what you're looking for! I found this rec as I was searching for media that felt like True Detective season 1 lol

J7ydenn Lana Del Rey GIF - J7ydenn Lana Del Rey Honeymoon - Discover &  Share GIFs

dreaming away your life

2 minutes ago, Cult Leader said:

I picked up Every Dead Thing by John Connolly, I haven't started it yet but I think it matches what you're looking for! I found this rec as I was searching for media that felt like True Detective season 1 lol

thank you so much!! :kiss: 

ill give it a go :keyboard:

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

I just picked up You and the hunger games prequel yesterday! 

i went to the book store and was absolutely overwhelmed with the choices :bebe: I have no idea how I spent hours as a kid going through each isle and picking up like 5 or 6 at a time. The two books I ended up buying were both already on my radar

"Don’t forget me"

I just finished Wide Sargasso Sea, a post colonial, post modernism feminist response to Jane Eyre. Loved it personally although I can see why it has mixed reactions. 

I also recently read my first James Joyce, A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man. There were moments of brilliant prose but overall it dragged too much for me. I'll try more Joyce though. 

Before that, I read The Dispossessed by Ursula K Le Guin, a great exploration of anarchism, capitalism, etc in a science fiction setting.

I Who Have Never Known Men, a dystopian by Jacqueline Harpman, was also excellent. It will probably stay with me for a long time. 

The Crying of Lot 49 was my first time reading Pynchon and I thoroughly enjoyed it. What a trip! I'll re-read it later for sure. It's also such fun seeing how many people are inspired by it, including Radiohead, one of my favourite bands! I am now seeing W.A.S.T.E everywhere. 

Giovanni's Room was also my first James Baldwin, and I fell in love with his minimalist prose. What a great tragic story and so far ahead of its time. I will absolutely be reading more Baldwin. 

I could go on and on but ... 

I'm now reading The Word for World is Forest, a short story by Ursula Le Guin, and will then be moving onto The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea, my first Mishima, which I bought recently. 

On 2/24/2024 at 10:00 PM, cheaptrailertrashglm said:

the nightingale by kristen hannah ( i feel like i spelled all that wrong)

omg I love kristin hannah's books night road and the great alone

tbh she has some bad books too 😅angel falls, home again, fly away

I read the nightingale a while ago and it was a fun read and like I literally cried at the end

If you liked nightingale, I think you might like the great alone (: