Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

An album is a project that gets millions of dollars of industry money poured into it and takes as much as multiple years to produce properly. Yes, the two are comparable.

That's not her fault and it's not her management's fault. Radio is in its death throes and live performances only give a temporary boost. There is no point in spending money to promote music beyond what she is doing, for an artist in her position.

Uh, thousands of people work on a single Hollywood film's crew, each with important roles to play. And it takes a lot less effort to edit, master, etc. an album than it does an album. They are not comparable.

Are you telling me that Lana Del Rey does not control her own promotion?

"Radio is in its death throes" and yet other artists who've released singles this year are doing significantly better than her. Radio being in its death throes didn't seem to stop any of them.

Her inability to promote her music lies squarely at her feet.

Fucking Lady Gaga, who has been on a steady decline since Artpop, charted higher than her. That's just embarrassing.

giphy.gif

SGqDrx0.png

I'm crying guys this is hilarious

(brb looking up all the beach paparazzi pics)

i thought of No Frauds when i saw that tweet.

needed a PAP pap PAP pap ᵖᵃᵖ ᴾᴬᴾ ᴾᴬᴾ ᵖᵃᵖ PAP

giphy.gif

Stop creating drama please, I know it's sad that the album isn't coming on the 26th but we never had an official statement to begin with.

And now we have something official and a date. It's not really that far and this way we'll get to see LFL video before the release and we might get one or two singles 

In other news: I NEED ANNE TO BUY ME PARIS MATCH

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

Are you telling me that Lana Del Rey does not control her own promotion?

"Radio is in its death throes" and yet other artists who've released singles this year are doing significantly better than her. Radio being in its death throes didn't seem to stop any of them.

Her inability to promote her music lies squarely at her feet.

She has a promoter. She does not pick her own promotional opportunities. She makes the music and then sends it to the label. They decide how to promote it. She undoubtedly gets to okay the opportunities, but she's not the one seeking them out, for the most part.

Radio is dying. Period, point blank. It does not pay out like it used to and people are listening far less than they used to. Radio promoters are less open to taking risks because they want to focus on sure things. Lana Del Rey is not a sure thing on radio. That is why she is not being played.

Artists who released singles that pandered to radio paid for radio deals. They paid to be played on the air with the expectation that audiences would respond and continue to request their music over time, meaning the singles would have some stability. The problem is that radio is beginning to become less important than streaming. Every #1 single this year was highly reliant on streaming in addition to radio. Lana is not a streaming giant. That's another market where you can pay to play; pay to be added to popular curated playlists and your song gets more streams. Doesn't make sense to pay if you're not guaranteed to chart high and get a return on investment.

Lana is not a major pop act. She should not and will not promote like one. Get over it.

She has a promoter. She does not pick her own promotional opportunities. She makes the music and then sends it to the label. They decide how to promote it. She undoubtedly gets to okay the opportunities, but she's not the one seeking them out, for the most part.

Radio is dying. Period, point blank. It does not pay out like it used to and people are listening far less than they used to. Radio promoters are less open to taking risks because they want to focus on sure things. Lana Del Rey is not a sure thing on radio. That is why she is not being played.

Artists who released singles that pandered to radio paid for radio deals. They paid to be played on the air with the expectation that audiences would respond and continue to request their music over time, meaning the singles would have some stability. The problem is that radio is beginning to become less important than streaming. Every #1 single this year was highly reliant on streaming in addition to radio. Lana is not a streaming giant. That's another market where you can pay to play; pay to be added to popular curated playlists and your song gets more streams.

Lana is not a major pop act. She should not and will not promote like one. Get over it.

She's a multiplatinum selling artist. If that ain't a major pop act, then nobody is.

giphy.gif

She's a multiplatinum selling artist. If that ain't a major pop act, then nobody is.

Sheesh, that was an album released 5 years ago. Lana is not a major pop artist in 2017, she hasnt been since 2013

image.png

Her last single platinum album was in 2014. Her last multiplatinum album was 2012. Honeymoon went gold and that was it. It's now 2017 and album sales continue to decline, yet a few acts (Adele, Taylor Swift and such) are still going multiplatinum. No, she is not a major pop act compared to them.

Sheesh, that was an album released 5 years ago. Lana is not a major pop artist in 2017, she hasnt been since 2013

Then, by that standard, Lady Gaga isn't a major pop artist in 2017 and she's still doing better than Lana.

But I'm not expecting Lana to be a chart smasher. I don't even care if her album goes even fucking aluminum. But I do want this era to go better than it has been.

Releasing a song and then going silent for weeks without any info isn't a good thing (ofc she gave us C-WIMM, which is good, but prior to that, I mean).

giphy.gif

Is there a reason why we're 100% trusting Paris Match?

Because lol do you know Lana? It's highly plausible that this is how she would announce her album release date - through a fucking French magazine and then posting to Insta "oh yeah sorry gays the album isn't coming until July"

FzytWEW.png

Is there a reason why we're 100% trusting Paris Match?

Given this era, I'm only trusting it about 95%, but it's because they interviewed her.

Of course, Elle also interviewed Lana and they said this about it "In a candid interview to mark the release of her stunning new album 'Lust for Life'..."

So...anything is possible.

giphy.gif

Because lol do you know Lana? It's highly plausible that this is how she would announce her album release date - through a fucking French magazine and then posting to Insta "oh yeah sorry gays the album isn't coming until July"

Yep, I know Lana, and she's never given a precise date for anything that's been accurate  :P

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png