Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

what i don't understand.

lana knows she is not the greatest live performer of all time. and chuck can hold a camera, can't she?

since we have 18 tracks on the album and we have heard 3 or maybe 4, why doesn't she simply make a mini concert filmed by chuck in an intimate setting and uploads it on her vevo?

she could play, let's say 6 songs off the new album with her band and it would get her more attention than any live gigs for small radio statios or gigs in scandinavia or poland.

and this is something chuck can not screw up. 

minimal production, lots of views, great build up for an album that already feels dead on arrival!

make it happen, ben!

Chuck would find a way to screw it up  :facepalm:

How are you not able to sing your own songs?

It usually blows up whenever major news happens. When we get the preorder or tracklist, it'll blow up again.

sis is way off key during OTTR. somebody mentioned smoking might be affecting her voice? not sure what's going on but her vocals are lacking recently, maybe because she hasn't been touring this year like she has the last 3-4 years?

sis is way off key during OTTR. somebody mentioned smoking might be affecting her voice? not sure what's going on but her vocals are lacking recently, maybe because she hasn't been touring this year like she has the last 3-4 years?

she truly sang like SHIT but i think she was nervous as fuck because on the Live Thread on the audio Section you can hear how great she can be live. I think those freaking dancers distract her from doing a good vocal performance.

she truly sang like SHIT but i think she was nervous as fuck because on the Live Thread on the audio Section you can hear how great she can be live. I think those freaking dancers distract her from doing a good vocal performance.

i know she can sing live amazing but it definitely has to do with her confidence and rehearsing.

OH yeah I did notice too that the choreography distracts her from singing, I don't think she can do both very well. 

I wish she'd get rid of the dancers. I think the main reason for the dancers is for backup vocals, but they can be behind her not dancing and do vocals!

i know she can sing live amazing but it definitely has to do with her confidence and rehearsing.

OH yeah I did notice too that the choreography distracts her from singing, I don't think she can do both very well. 

I wish she'd get rid of the dancers. I think the main reason for the dancers is for backup vocals, but they can be behind her not dancing and do vocals!

I thought they don't sing at all?

LIZARD PEOPLE

They don't. There's this weird conception on here that the prerecorded lana vocals are the backup dancers singing. the mics aren't even wired.

oh for real?

They don't. There's this weird conception on here that the prerecorded lana vocals are the backup dancers singing. the mics aren't even wired.

they are literally useless then  :toofunny:

I'm so happy we are going to have 18 songs

This is going to be her longest record

I hope we get the tracklist on June or I will cast a spell and LFL will leak

When I asked my record store about the release date they told me that the record will be available for preorder on their website on June 20th so I suppose/hope it's possible  :party:

I don't agree with those who say that she cannot really sing. Her recorded vocals are not perfect but they are difficult to reproduce and sometimes are outright magical. I remember a piece written by a girl from a punk band about Ultraviolence. She listened to the album when she traveled with her band in a van. She tried to sing along but she gave up because of the difficulty of the songs. On stage, on the other hand, Lana suffers from something similar to dyslexia in reading, she just cannot find the right key sometimes, messes up the melody and everything just sounds off. Sometimes it's a technical issue but most of the time she just cannot sing properly. It was obvious from the beginning of her career that she has this problem but she never did anything to correct it. Her problems lies right here: she cannot perform properly so she hides most of the time from everything which involves singing in public besides festivals and her shows. Her festival appearances were hit or miss but she mixed a lot of recorded vocals with her live ones something that you cannot do in smaller venues because it's so obvious and disappointing. At the BBC show the whole LFL chorus was prerecorded practically and was cringey. All of her performances seem like an improvisation sometimes but mostly not in a good way. I gave up on Lana the performer, she puts so little effort in her shows that I had to chuckle when she was presented at the BBC show as a global superstar. The only thing that I have a little hope for is the album. But so far I didn't listened to Love or LFL for months and this is coming from someone  who, for years, was a Lana voice addict and listened almost daily to her music.

I don't agree with those who say that she cannot really sing. Her recorded vocals are not perfect but they are difficult to reproduce and sometimes are outright magical. I remember a piece written by a girl from a punk band about Ultraviolence. She listened to the album when she traveled with her band in a van. She tried to sing along but she gave up because of the difficulty of the songs. On stage, on the other hand, Lana suffers from something similar to dyslexia in reading, she just cannot find the right key sometimes, messes up the melody and everything just sounds off. Sometimes it's a technical issue but most of the time she just cannot sing properly. It was obvious from the beginning of her career that she has this problem but she never did anything to correct it. Her problems lies right here: she cannot perform properly so she hides most of the time from everything which involves singing in public besides festivals and her shows. Her festival appearances were hit or miss but she mixed a lot of recorded vocals with her live ones something that you cannot do in smaller venues because it's so obvious and disappointing. At the BBC show the whole LFL chorus was prerecorded practically and was cringey. All of her performances seem like an improvisation sometimes but mostly not in a good way. I gave up on Lana the performer, she puts so little effort in her shows that I had to chuckle when she was presented at the BBC show as a global superstar. The only thing that I have a little hope for is the album. But so far I didn't listened to Love or LFL for months and this is coming from someone who, for years, was a Lana voice addict and listened almost daily to her music.

I think this BBC performance was just a hiccup with the technical difficulties, Lana's voice was as beautiful as always last least and in the endless Summer tour.

https://youtu.be/qOdyBck1j2w

This is one of her best vocal performances and I don't know much about her music but in alot of her performances I found that imo she sings perfectly.

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

I think for me, thinking about her live shows, a problem I have with her back up dancers are not so much the actual dancers themselves (they seem cool irl), but what they represent. They were clearly brought in, as well as the choreography, to "spice up" her live shows and inject it more with energy (as well as to maybe try something new for the shows). I get that a lot of Lana's material is slower and that sometimes can be difficult to translate to the stage, especially for festivals. But, if we're being honest, shows don't need things like choreography or back up dancers in order to be interesting. Slower music doesn't have to equal a boring show. At the end of the day, it's up to the musicians and the performer to engage with their material, to tell the story of the song and translate the emotions, and that seems to be something Lana hasn't been totally willing to do for a while now. Sometimes she does, yes, but a lot of times it kind of feels like she's just going through the motions. And that's disappointing because she's already shown us that she's more than capable of putting on a show that feels alive and immediate and engaged (the iTunes Festival 2012  and her performances of Heart-Shaped Box being particular standouts, though there are many others).

I can understand one problem might be that most of her material is pretty dark/personal, and she probably doesn't want to go on night after night rehashing painful memories. And that could be another reason why she wants to put out Lust for Life--to sing songs at her shows that are a little more uplifting. 

I don't know, this is a total rant/ramble, I just wish there was a way she could bring back some of that bite that's been missing for a while now at her shows. Because, when she was really engaged, it was so magical.

I've been reflecting on her recent bbc performance (and how much I felt disappointed) and was reading through these pages about others commenting on it and I'm just wondering what's wrong. Obviously mixing was shit and there was clear nervousness in her face but even then she was off key for most of the set and I just feel bad, I've seen people say she's losing her voice and spark but yet this was her last year at the Freak Premiere

Like i don't get it, she sounds incredible, smooth, and lively with her voice and interaction with the fans. Has she aged quicker over 2016? Is it the venue sizes? (lowkey Auburn hair was gorgeous seeing her go back to that she looks so youthful with it dark brown is tired Lana please). Hell, even the more acoustic West Coast sounds so sweet and proves how her songs can transcend their initial production; I just hope LfL can see more of this and less of BBC types of vocals, I wouldn't even mind if she switched to smaller venues and arenas for her tour, it looks like her environment in which she thrives. 

(i.e. Chateau Marmont BtD live, her old bar performances during Lizzy Grant, etc.) I just want her to be comfortable and not have this wavering era flop like it's predicted to be  :crossed:

She's about 10x times better a singer now than she was during the btd era so I have no idea what all those stupid gays are talking about. It's like you have forgotten when she sounded like a dying whale for 70% of 2012. :rip:

im pretty sure at this point, that i cant live without the studio version of cherry. in other words, it must be realised. or leaked. 

lana im waiting for u so patiently but i cant keep going having a single in lq, thats just not right. 

168zksj.gif

She's about 10x times better a singer now than she was during the btd era so I have no idea what all those stupid gays are talking about. It's like you have forgotten when she sounded like a dying whale for 70% of 2012. :rip:

if you're talking abt the original million dollar man performances ima warn u.. dont  :hooker:

what i don't understand.

lana knows she is not the greatest live performer of all time. and chuck can hold a camera, can't she?

since we have 18 tracks on the album and we have heard 3 or maybe 4, why doesn't she simply make a mini concert filmed by chuck in an intimate setting and uploads it on her vevo?

she could play, let's say 6 songs off the new album with her band and it would get her more attention than any live gigs for small radio statios or gigs in scandinavia or poland.

and this is something chuck can not screw up.

minimal production, lots of views, great build up for an album that already feels dead on arrival!

make it happen, ben!

You should really be her manager

Cruel World is one of Lana's best songs but I'm glad we can finally put ha to rest once Cherry is officially released and Lana's tour commences. I like it much better as an opening, it's energetic and not draggy. Once again, nothing against Cruel World, its just time for its retirement.

SizzlingThornyIndigobunting-size_restric

I don't agree with those who say that she cannot really sing. Her recorded vocals are not perfect but they are difficult to reproduce and sometimes are outright magical. I remember a piece written by a girl from a punk band about Ultraviolence. She listened to the album when she traveled with her band in a van. She tried to sing along but she gave up because of the difficulty of the songs. On stage, on the other hand, Lana suffers from something similar to dyslexia in reading, she just cannot find the right key sometimes, messes up the melody and everything just sounds off. Sometimes it's a technical issue but most of the time she just cannot sing properly. It was obvious from the beginning of her career that she has this problem but she never did anything to correct it. Her problems lies right here: she cannot perform properly so she hides most of the time from everything which involves singing in public besides festivals and her shows. Her festival appearances were hit or miss but she mixed a lot of recorded vocals with her live ones something that you cannot do in smaller venues because it's so obvious and disappointing. At the BBC show the whole LFL chorus was prerecorded practically and was cringey. All of her performances seem like an improvisation sometimes but mostly not in a good way. I gave up on Lana the performer, she puts so little effort in her shows that I had to chuckle when she was presented at the BBC show as a global superstar. The only thing that I have a little hope for is the album. But so far I didn't listened to Love or LFL for months and this is coming from someone  who, for years, was a Lana voice addict and listened almost daily to her music.

I've been reflecting on her recent bbc performance (and how much I felt disappointed) and was reading through these pages about others commenting on it and I'm just wondering what's wrong. Obviously mixing was shit and there was clear nervousness in her face but even then she was off key for most of the set and I just feel bad, I've seen people say she's losing her voice and spark but yet this was her last year at the Freak Premiere

Like i don't get it, she sounds incredible, smooth, and lively with her voice and interaction with the fans. Has she aged quicker over 2016? Is it the venue sizes? (lowkey Auburn hair was gorgeous seeing her go back to that she looks so youthful with it dark brown is tired Lana please). Hell, even the more acoustic West Coast sounds so sweet and proves how her songs can transcend their initial production; I just hope LfL can see more of this and less of BBC types of vocals, I wouldn't even mind if she switched to smaller venues and arenas for her tour, it looks like her environment in which she thrives. 

(i.e. Chateau Marmont BtD live, her old bar performances during Lizzy Grant, etc.) I just want her to be comfortable and not have this wavering era flop like it's predicted to be  :crossed:

From Dazed interview 

"Randomly, in the last few years, I feel like I’ve grown up. Maybe I’ve just had time to think about everything, process everything. I’ve gotten to move on and think about how it feels now, singing songs I wrote ten years ago. It does feel different. I was almost reliving those feelings on stage until recently. It’s weird listening back to my stuff."

One of my all time favorite live performances (ironically her first time performing Carmen live)  because she really is reliving those feelings, you can see the emotion in her face and her voice. She doesn't hit every note right, but it is a powerful performance. 

I was at Lollapalooza last year and while the performance was amazing. You can notice a different. Of course 2012 show was a small cafe and Lolla is a huge festival.

I guess the point we're trying to get at, is there isn't much emotion in her performances anymore. Clearly the size of shows has something to do with it, but I think especially because she sings BTD songs mostly (most of which were written YEARS ago), she doesn't have (or doesn't wanna have) an emotional connection to the music anymore. Definitely going through the motions, signing the same 5-10 songs can get boring and monotonous.

As a fan though it's disappointing, I want energy and emotion in her performances. I do feel she is losing her spark in her live performances, her music videos, just no stage presence.

But her studio releases never disappoint me.

Just wish she would perform UV and HM

Every artist has "good" and "not-so-good" live performances. One "not-so-good" performance is not necessarily indicative of a long term decline. Her 2015 Endless Summer show at Woodlands, TX had some of her best live vocals ever.

fullsizeoutput-3494.png