Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

I kind of feel like the Lust For Life we'll be getting won't have the songs she's mentioned in interviews on it. It's just a guess though, based off of the tone of the songs she's shared with us. (Going from overt political songs to Cherry to Daisy Chain to White Mustang and Change doesn't really make sense to me)

Here's to hoping for a two disc album?  :hooker: but I feel like most of the songs have some kind of political undertone. Plus, this era has been really politically pushed with the Trump spell (promo?) and even in the album trailer/interviews she's said it's political. I feel like it'd be a waste of money and time if it wasn't somewhat political since that's the image she's been pushing. I feel like her record label has a real big distaste for her being "politically woke" though. Since the interviewer from that one magazine said her manager wasn't going to let her release "God Bless America" as a single because of its message. I think that also has to do with the album being pushed back cause we're getting these new songs that are OBVIOUSLY typical Lana songs (about heartbreak and the struggles of love), and maybe her label is trying to tone down the political awareness that the album has by adding these new songs like White Mustang, Cherry, and Daisy Chains?  

SizzlingThornyIndigobunting-size_restric

Whenever I hear random people (in real life) talking about Lana it's always about how "depressing" her songs are and how they want to commit suicide after listening. When Love came out, people were annoyed with it being on Spotify/AM playlists because it was such a downer. People just don't like her; she's a niche artist.

I so relate to this. People always tell me how sad and depressing her music is, when in reality they've only listened to maybe 2 songs lol. She's not that depressing, people just don't like to hear her so that's their excuse. If someone else was singing her songs, no one would call it depressing tbh, especially if it were a man.

Sorry to bring sex into this, but when do people call a man's music depressing? and does that prevent him from getting played on the radio (usually alternative stations)? For example, the weeknd is pretty depressing, along with Death Cab for Cutie, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Vance Joy and so on. These guys get played on the radio all the time, but when it comes to women it's less accepted for some reason. Not saying that depressing sounding songs from women never get played, but women get less airplay in general, especially on these alternative stations (where Lana should be on).

tumblr_ow8qt6vZl01w30flno1_1280.jpg

Also, Change seems to be another song about hearbreak, but did anyone think it could be about the Flint, MI water crisis? Thats the first thing I thought about when she started talking about something being in the water. 

SizzlingThornyIndigobunting-size_restric

well girls if the outtakes are THIS good then imagine how good the songs she decides to keep are gonna be  :flutter: :flutter:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

I so relate to this. People always tell me how sad and depressing her music is, when in reality they've only listened to maybe 2 songs lol. She's not that depressing, people just don't like to hear her so that's their excuse. If someone else was singing her songs, no one would call it depressing tbh, especially if it were a man.

Sorry to bring sex into this, but when do people call a man's music depressing? and does that prevent him from getting played on the radio (usually alternative stations)? For example, the weeknd is pretty depressing, along with Death Cab for Cutie, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Vance Joy and so on. These guys get played on the radio all the time, but when it comes to women it's less accepted for some reason. Not saying that depressing sounding songs from women never get played, but women get less airplay in general, especially on these alternative stations (where Lana should be on).

For example Sam Smith got a ton of success and literally all of his songs are about his man not giving a shit about him and loving someone else and sam begging to be with him

well girls if the outtakes are THIS good then imagine how good the songs she decides to keep are gonna be  :flutter: :flutter:

but she put Love on the album so... :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

But in all seriousness, you're probably right. Silver linings. :flutter:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Truth.

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

Not saying that depressing sounding songs from women never get played, but women get less airplay in general, especially on these alternative stations (where Lana should be on).

I did a google search to compare male and female alternative artists, this is what I got:

Alternative Male Artists:

HEhEHJ7.png

Alternative Female Artists

nYFba6I.png

I rarely hear most of these women on the radio where as the male artists are given more attention and respect. Both male and female alternative artists have a depressing sound to them, but I don't see men suffering from that. Alternative music is a weird genre.

Also, Change seems to be another song about hearbreak, but did anyone think it could be about the Flint, MI water crisis? Thats the first thing I thought about when she started talking about something being in the water. 

that's a good analogy , never thought about that! thanks

^ I'm not sure if I see Coldplay as "alternative" though...

Depends what year you're talking about. Earlier 2000s they were definitely alternative, and those songs still get a lot of airplay. Now they are more pop imo

^ I'm not sure if I see Coldplay as "alternative" though..

neither is sam smith. lana was successful during btd you can compare that to sam smith but everything that came afterwards or how she's handling her career is not comparable to most artists since she doesn't do anything to 1) stay successful 2) change the publics view about her.

Lana's probably had as much exposure in the last three years as sky ferreira and her latest album came out in 2013. 

i76mrxw.png 

Depends what year you're talking about. Earlier 2000s they were definitely alternative, and those songs still get a lot of airplay. Now they are more pop imo

I know, back in the day they had a different sound, but now... they're like... pop? I was referring to today's perspective. Still great though.  :)  I'm gonna see them in about two weeks from today.  :hooker:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I'm not sure if I see Coldplay as alternative though...

Yeah, the same counts for David Bowie, he made rock, glamrock, artrock, poprock and pop music. But I would definitely not consider him an alternative music artist, also, I think there's not a label to put Bowie under like alternative, because Bowie is Bowie. He's one of a kind.

I think that Lana does a mix of pop and alternative (I mean, she brings the alternative sound to the mainstream audience, imo) . I think that she's definitely is going more pop on LFL. But UV, HM, LGAKALDR and even some stuff on BTD/Paradise are alternative.

btw: I think that Lana wanna be an alternative icon, but I feel that her fucking managers don't let her do the shit that she really wants sometimes. I mean, I can't get over all the shit that her record label did to her in the UV era. 

edit: I do know that Lana needs money to make some of her videos and stuff, but I really don't like her label. I think that they're like a big wall that don't let her grow as much as she's capable of. For me, it seems like they only care about the money that she can make, not with the art that she can produce.