Subversive

Lana Covers Dazed - Article Out Now

In the confirmation email they sent when you bought the magazine it said that its due date was the 16th of May. Does that mean it's gonna be shipping that day?

It says April 19th that they'd start mailing them out.

Someone should call them.

In the confirmation email they sent when you bought the magazine it said that its due date was the 16th of May. Does that mean it's gonna be shipping that day?

I never noticed that. Mine says the 13th of May. I'm hoping that is the expected arrival date and not the ship date. Mine's shipping to US so I can kind of get the delay I guess but still that is a while lol.

It says April 19th that they'd start mailing them out.

Someone should call them.

I know, but it says that the due date is May 16th and I don't understand what that means.

I never noticed that. Mine says the 13th of May. I'm hoping that is the expected arrival date and not the ship date. Mine's shipping to US so I can kind of get the delay I guess but still that is a while lol.

If we have to wait that long for it to arrive  :toofunny:  I'm from Spain and it's not that far away from the UK.

If we have to wait that long for it to arrive  :toofunny:  I'm from Spain and it's not that far away from the UK.

I was thinking that from your location. I can get the postage time to US but Spain idk lol. When did you order yours? I ordered mine the first day but still! Whatever I'll be patient, I'm just curious about the interview lol.

I was thinking that from your location. I can get the postage time to US but Spain idk lol. When did you order yours? I ordered mine the first day but still! Whatever I'll be patient, I'm just curious about the interview lol.

I ordered it the 16th and I don't get it either. And same! 

I'm writing up the interview rn btw!

Thanks ! If it's easier for you just check on Dazed's site what parts are already online so you can share the parts which were exclusive for the magazine

giphy.gif

When someone gets the magazine please post the full interview. The one posted online was shortened

I have the mag, should I post the full interview in this thread now??

Yes, please! :)

I'm writing up the interview rn btw!

Thank you!

Thanks ! If it's easier for you just check on Dazed's site what parts are already online so you can share the parts which were exclusive for the magazine

Yeah, depending on how they went about condensing, it might be easier to just add what they cut out to what's online rather than starting from scratch. Or tbh, scans would be great in the meantime.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I contacted them. I'll wait for a response. I might cancel. I'm not waiting a month.

Me either, it's ridiculous. I live not even 2 hours away from London so it's no excuse. Please let me know what they say :kiss:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Me either, it's ridiculous. I live not even 2 hours away from London so it's no excuse. Please let me know what they say :kiss:

I will! I want excellent shipping when I pay 10+ dollars. It's just not right.

This magazine is giving me serious anxiety. I'm so pissed we don't have it yet (those who preordered). I went into WHSmith just to look at it and almost had a full blown fight with the employee. He tried to tell me they didn't stock 'that magazine'. I was like I've JUST seen someone walk out of here with it. TELL ME WHERE IT IS. He says well which one you looking for and I say the one that came out today with Lana. He tries to tell me that a new one hasn't come out. I'm honestly trying hard not to punch him at this point. He's being super bitchy. I make him help me find it and there's one copy left and he says 'we have had this cover for a month'. BITCH NO YOU HAVEN'T WHY U LYIN FOR?! Sorry I'm super pissed I paid extra to 'pre order' when I could have paid half the price and had it today.  :crying4:

Finally circling back to this after the "Lust for Life" single interruption. I'll be curious to read the full print version, but I found even the "condensed" online version fascinating to read, just being a fly on the wall while these two great artists chat.

So, since I toured with you, I got kind of obsessed and went down this Lana rabbit hole and became – not like I’m wearing a flower crown, Lana, don’t get ideas – but I absolutely love it. I love it as much as I love PJ Harvey.

Welcome to this Lana rabbit hole LanaBoards, Courtney!

:welcome:

Please allow me to introduce you to @@trayertrash.

And ignore these old posts. I still think you did it. OK, not really, but all my friends did back in the day.

CL: I read that you spend a lot of time mastering and mixing. Is that true on this new record?

LDR: Oh my God, yeah, it’s killing me. It’s because I spend so much time with the engineers working on the reverb. Because I actually don’t love a glossy production. If I want a bit of that retro feel, like that spring reverb or that Elvis slap, sometimes if you send it to an outside mixer they might try and dry things up a bit and push them really hard on top of the mix so it sounds really pop. And Born to Die did have a slickness to it, but, in general, I have an aversion to things that sound glossy all over – you have to pick and choose. And some people say, ‘It’s not radio-ready if it isn’t super-shiny from top to bottom.’ But you know this. Whoever mixed your stuff is a genius. Who did it?

CL: Chris Lord-Alge and Tom Lord-Alge. Kurt was really big on mastering. He sat in every mastering session like a fiend. I never was big on mastering because it’s such a pain in the butt.

Oh man, where is @Monicker for all this conversation of Lana talking about mixing & mastering, or the amount of reverb put on her vocals?

That reminds me, an engineer (who I won't name) I contacted via Soundcloud awhile back who mixed some Lana tracks told me after the first mix he did for Lana "they said 'more reverb!!' and make it 'less posh'". Not completely sure who exactly he meant by "they", but he also told me those BTD demo tracks a certain manager sloppily leaked on Soundcloud were what "they" gave him for reference.

:benmawson:

Also, I am totally here for (as the kids say) her dissing BTD-style production. Cheers, Lana.

CL: Can I ask you about your time in New Jersey? Was that a soul-searching time?

LDR: Oh, I don’t even know if I should have said to anyone that I was living in that trailer in New Jersey but, stupidly, I did this interview from the trailer, in 2008.

CL: I saw it!

LDR: It’s cringey, it’s cringey. (laughs)

CL: You look so cute, though.

LDR: I thought I was rockabilly. I was platinum. I thought I had made it in my own way.

CL: I understand completely.

Aw, come on Lizzy, I love that interview and that phase of your artistic development. :(

CL: But you have records about being a ‘Brooklyn Baby’. You can write about New York adeptly and I cannot. I tried to write a song about a tragic girl in New York, going down Bleecker Street – this girl couldn’t afford Bleecker Street, so the song made no sense, right? (laughs) I did my time there, but it chased me away. I couldn’t do it because I wouldn’t go solo. I had to have a band.

LDR: I wanted a band so badly. I feel like I wouldn’t have had some of the stage fright I had when I started playing bigger shows if (I had) a real group and we were in it together. I really wanted that camaraderie. I actually didn’t even find that until a couple of years ago, I would say. I’ve been with my band for six years and they’re great, but I wished I had people – I fantasised about Laurel Canyon.

Jives with other articles/interviews that talk about her really wanting to sign with 5 Points as a band, not a solo act. I sometimes imagine an alternate universe where Lana broke as Lizzy Grant and the Phenomena or The Rich Whores. And Trump isn't president.

Randomly, in the last few years, I feel like I’ve grown up. Maybe I’ve just had time to think about everything, process everything. I’ve gotten to move on and think about how it feels now, singing songs I wrote ten years ago. It does feel different. I was almost reliving those feelings on stage until recently. It’s weird listening back to my stuff.

As someone who has been perhaps the most critical of how she has responded to, well, just about everything, I have to say I've noticed this. She seems to have a newfound c'est la vie attitude toward leaks, the press, and other past career-related frustrations.

LDR: I’ve got some good low ones for you. You know what would be good, is that song, ‘Ride’. I don’t sing it in its right octave during the shows because it’s too low for me.

Lana explicitly acknowledging @@FROGGO's pet peeve.

CL: Well, I overuse the word ‘whore’.

LDR: You take ‘red’. I’ll trade for ‘whore’. I’m so lucky.

Courtney, you already own violet, you whore.

It doesn’t sound that retro, but I was listening to a lot of Shangri-Las and wanted to go back to a bigger, more mid-tempo, single-y sound.

You can do a lot worse than copping the Shangri-Las. I fully endorse this influence. And you can really hear it on the beginning of L4L.

CL: Do you have a singular producer or several producers?

LDR: Rick Nowels. He actually did stuff with Stevie Nicks a while ago. He works really well with women. I did the last few records with him. Even with Ultraviolence which I did with Dan (Auerbach), I did the record first with Rick, and then I went to Nashville and reworked the sound with Dan. So, yeah, Rick Nowels is amazing, and these two engineers – with all the records that I’ve worked on with Rick, they did a lot of the production as well. You would love these two guys. They’re just super-innovative. I wanted a bit of a sci-fi f lair for some of the stuff and they had some really cool production ideas. But yeah, that’s pretty much it.

Sorry to disappoint all the Rick haterz. Despite the collabs and what are essentially guest producers, for better or worse, this is Rick's baby. Yet again.

I mean, Max Martin –

CL: Wait, you wrote with Max Martin? You went to the compound?

LDR: Have you been there?

CL: No. I’ve always wanted to work with Max Martin.

LDR: So basically, ‘Lust for Life’ was the first song I wrote for the record, but it was kind of a Rubik’s Cube. I felt like it was a big song but... it wasn’t right. I don’t usually go back and re-edit things that much, because the songs end up sort of being what they are, but this one song I kept going back to. I really liked the title. I liked the verse. John Janick was like, ‘Why don’t we just go over and see what Max Martin thinks?’ So, I flew to Sweden and showed him the song. He said that he felt really strongly that the best part was the verse and that he wanted to hear it more than once, so I should think about making it the chorus. So I went back to Rick Nowels’ place the next day and I was like, ‘Let’s try and make the verse the chorus,’ and we did, and it sounded perfect. That’s when I felt like I really wanted to hear Abel sing the chorus, so he came down and rewrote a little bit of it. But then I was feeling like it was missing a little bit of the Shangri-Las element, so I went back for a fourth time and layered it up with harmonies. Now I’m finally happy with it.

I really feel like L4L suffers from too many cooks in the kitchen. It's a bit of a mishmash with no clear vision in pursuit of a more commercial sound.

I find it interesting that Courtney Love has always wanted to work with Max Martin. Surprising and yet entirely unsurprising. There's a lot that could be said about that. Although a lot of it might hew uncomfortably close to very gendered reading of her career.

Also interesting: No mention of Benny Blanco. Dust paid!

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I would call them but I'm in the US. Seriously annoyed it hasn't shipped. I spent like $20. I want to read the actual mag and see the pictures not peoples scans and transcriptions.

I'm going to email

I'm worried I'll read something exclusive on here and not in the mag, otherwise the entire purchase would have been for nothing..

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

I would call them but I'm in the US. Seriously annoyed it hasn't shipped. I spent like $20. I want to read the actual mag and see the pictures not peoples scans and transcriptions.

I'm going to email

I've emailed as well. I would call but I have a phobia of talking on the phone lol. I may call tomorrow though if they don't reply (or get my mum to call lol)