Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

259 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

Music To Watch Boys To and Body Electric were added to Lana's setlist. Finally she's mixing it up.

I'm in love with the green on the grass and the trees, the scent of my sidewalks perfumed by the rain/ I'm in love with the tunes that colored my youth/ and the smudges of autumn that spill through the pane/I'm in love, just in a different way/ and that's okay.

I'm gonna stop everyone right there and just ask that you acknowledge Lana's slayage.

She just outsold two big-name male artists and got her second #1 while one of her opponents literally tried cheating his way to the top. How's that for shattering this increasingly male-dominated music chart scene so far this year? Lana not once mentioned wanting to go #1, fuck she didn't even tweet a link for the album download until almost a week after release, she did no promo whatsoever (per usual), had no radio support whatsoever (once again, per usual), she made no TV or radio appearances and she STILL got that #1!

The fact that Lana is selling as much in her first week as massive, mainstream, radio-supported artists like Lorde and Katy are is truly something to praise. There is obviously something special about Lana and her music. I can't name any other artist who could get away with doing the bare minimum promotion-wise and still go #1. But it's because she puts in the time in the studio and she works so hard to make music that is so signature to her. She's so consistent in sound, aesthetic, and 2-year releases. I love Lana so much and I just wish her fans and the general public would acknowledge just how well she's doing for such a low-key artist. That's how powerful her music is. :legend:  :oprah3:

i agree w/ everyhing that you've said but I think that it's important to say 2 things: Lorde only have her aesthetics and her audience bc Lana brought this "alternative-ish" style/sound to the mainstream audience. Still, I think that Lorde's music is as radio friendly as Lana's and she doesn't promote herself too much (imo) 

i agree w/ everyhing that you've said but I think that it's important to say 2 things: Lorde only have her aesthetics and her audience bc Lana brought this "alternative-ish" style/sound to the mainstream audience. Still, I think that Lorde's music is as radio friendly as Lana's and she doesn't promote herself too much (imo)

I love Lorde to the moon in back, I own LordeNews on twitter where she follows me but to say her music isn't more radio friendly than Lana's just isn't true. The structure of her songs, the production, it's all very poppy and geared towards radioplay. MELODRAMA was promoted more as an album release and with fewer singles but Green Light and HD are literally dance numbers that Lana has never done. And Green Light was a moderate radio hit while Royals was #1 on radio for many weeks and Team did well too.

I'm in love with the green on the grass and the trees, the scent of my sidewalks perfumed by the rain/ I'm in love with the tunes that colored my youth/ and the smudges of autumn that spill through the pane/I'm in love, just in a different way/ and that's okay.

I love Lorde to the moon in back, I own LordeNews on twitter where she follows me but to say her music isn't more radio friendly than Lana's just isn't true. The structure of her songs, the production, it's all very poppy and geared towards radioplay. MELODRAMA was promoted more as an album release and with fewer singles but Green Light and HD are literally dance numbers that Lana has never done. And Green Light was a moderate radio hit while Royals was #1 on radio for many weeks and Team did well too.

Oh, I now I get what you've said. Well, but I still think that Lorde isn't pop as Katy lol :P

yea I'm not gonna deny n yet agree that Lorde has always been more radio and GP friendly than Lana, hell even the themes of her songs aren't as dark and mature as those of UV and HM; (most of PH was about friends and teenage psyche and issues; Melodrama revolves around a house party dealing with loneliness, obsession, and yolo factors. Uv is about nostalgia, death, crime, drugs, infidelity, etc. 

I'll give parts of Melo n PH to being alternative but overall Lorde is a pop artist- considered alternative for her (at then) darker and more counter-culture sound which is used a lot more; but Lana def paved the way for all these new alt/pop divas (lorde, ratsey, melanie) for them to bring aesthetic music and make their way to greatness

(lest we not forget how Lana was crucified to the innermost circle of hell and back for doing it tho) :creep: 

yea I'm not gonna deny n yet agree that Lorde has always been more radio and GP friendly than Lana, hell even the themes of her songs aren't as dark and mature as those of UV and HM; (most of PH was about friends and teenage psyche and issues; Melodrama revolves around a house party dealing with loneliness, obsession, and yolo factors. Uv is about nostalgia, death, crime, drugs, infidelity, etc. 

I'll give parts of Melo n PH to being alternative but overall Lorde is a pop artist- considered alternative for her (at then) darker and more counter-culture sound which is used a lot more; but Lana def paved the way for all these new alt/pop divas (lorde, ratsey, melanie) for them to bring aesthetic music and make their way to greatness

(lest we not forget how Lana was crucified to the innermost circle of hell and back for doing it tho) :creep:

Lorde and most "alt" female artists, I honestly believe, wouldn't exist or be even nearly as successful if it wasn't for Lana's innovative trail blazing way back in 2011/2012. Think about it. Why has Lana received such a polarizing reaction? Why did she get so much hate and these women to follow have been praised? Because Lana was the martyr. She was the first to do it. She shook the male-dominated alternative genre to its core and brought a new, fresh sound to music, one that melted catchy pop with dark lyrics and dark underlying instrumentals... it's so common now, thanks to Lana, but back in 2011, the idea of a left-of-center female artist having such a strong aesthetic and signature appearance seemed so odd and unfamiliar. Whether these new female artists wanna admit it or not, Lana has, at least subconsciously, influenced hundreds of alt/tumblr/mainly female artists that have followed her.

Examples:

Lorde, BANKS, FKA twigs, Billie Eilish, Melanie Martinez, Troye Sivan (tbh), Halsey (obviously), Ryn Weaver, Allie X

Lorde and most "alt" female artists, I honestly believe, wouldn't exist or be even nearly as successful if it wasn't for Lana's innovative trail blazing way back in 2011/2012. Think about it. Why has Lana received such a polarizing reaction? Why did she get so much hate and these women to follow have been praised? Because Lana was the martyr. She was the first to do it. She shook the male-dominated alternative genre to its core and brought a new, fresh sound to music, one that melted catchy pop with dark lyrics and dark underlying instrumentals... it's so common now, thanks to Lana, but back in 2011, the idea of a left-of-center female artist having such a strong aesthetic and signature appearance seemed so odd and unfamiliar. Whether these new female artists wanna admit it or not, Lana has, at least subconsciously, influenced hundreds of alt/tumblr/mainly female artists that have followed her.

Examples:

Lorde, BANKS, FKA twigs, Billie Eilish, Melanie Martinez, Troye Sivan (tbh), Halsey (obviously), Ryn Weaver, Allie X

I agree w/ you a 100%

My sister and I have our own house together and it's brutally hot out and my room is in the basement so she's sleeping with me and goes "can you play Lana's new album, it relaxes me so much..." and this is the fifth time she's begged me to play it. Also, so many of my cousins and friends have been texting me telling me how much they love the album. I could cry I'm so proud. :crying4:

i just wanted to publicly thank @@Stargirl for being such a kind, graceful, giving, incredible user and woman on this site for (without asking) helping w/ my goals of adding my user onto my signature; if she doesn't win kindest and most friendly and pure user at the lipsters I will fucking riot. You all better love and respect and know the privelege we have to have someone of this stature and character here, i appreciate this girl so goddamn much. 

1:02-1:31

@@ilovetati-

Billboard didn't officially post the Hot 100 singles chart either, which might actually be more important a clue as to what's going on than the album chart (which appears??? to be what those other numbers said as they have at least been in other articles which are getting its numbers from somewhere (as they showed detail data on the entire Top 10 

The singles chart might??? include or not include many of MM's songs based on streaming, and NOT affect the digital sales chart which was published, as those are actually paid figures and MM got all his streams from bots and are mostly unpaid. How many songs on MM's album? That is a lot of chart places they have to account for, and for every song MM gets on the charts, someone else is displaced.

The entire charts are suppose to update on line every Tuesday between 6am and 8am in the morning eastern time. (except on holidays when it is Wed.) so that is a few hours away.

Time will tell.

They cannot delay forever, as the following weeks chart stats start coming in Friday, and this weeks printed issue hits the stands Friday afternoon in NYC

Most weeks, they already know who the #1 will be. This week is highly unusual.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp