Venice Jesus Whore

What do you think Lana's backstory is?

Do you think she's just some intelligent girl who made up a persona? Or did she actually deal with abusive relationships, drugs, addiction, dependency, etc.? Or somewhere in the middle?

It's so hard for me to figure out when she's telling the truth since she contradicts herself so much and even changes her story, and her life before being famous is so unknown, so what do you guys think is true?

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

I think it's a mix, she said herself in the past that she tends to exaggerate things in her lyrics

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

Elizabeth Grant is a once in a generation unique talent. Out of which Lana was born,(Born to Die) got bored and left NY to take a road trip (Paradise) and arrive in California

where she found heaven (radio airplay, hit album), and hell that comes with fame (Ultraviolence)  and out of that had the internal duel between Elizabeth and Lana that was (Honeymoon).

Elizabeth won the battle and has decided to live with Lana.

I believe the sadness Lana kept indicating was the realization that money power and fame was not what she thought it was, and in the end, was quite meaningless

and out of that came happiness (Lust for Life)

YAYO is the connection between all, and as such shows that 100% of the songs lyrics music and style is hers and her circle of compatriots.

I do believe it took her Billboard Trailblazer award to realize that she was and is a major force.

And will say it again- Lana is in territory that in the past only males resided. Which male writers and critics and record companies have never come across.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

i've never believed for a second she has ever done any hard drugs or had serious alcohol related problems (that required actual treatment).

she is a very intelligent girl from an average upper-middle class family.

i believe she absorbed everyone's life story around her and created the perfect broken persona.

utwU6cX.gif

I think there's something good about not knowing for sure.

She shrouds herself with mystery and that's part of what makes her so interesting.

I don't think she was as wild as her songs indicate, I don't know if she would be so open to share if she were.

BVT4uKe.jpg   
8/1/13 . 8/2/13 . 5/16/14 . 10/4/14 . 10/11/14 . 5/30/15 . 7/28/16 . 5/20/17 . 1/11/18 . 2/11/18

Elizabeth Grant is a once in a generation unique talent. Out of which Lana was born,(Born to Die) got bored and left NY to take a road trip (Paradise) and arrive in California

where she found heaven (radio airplay, hit album), and hell that comes with fame (Ultraviolence)  and out of that had the internal duel between Elizabeth and Lana that was (Honeymoon).

Elizabeth won the battle and has decided to live with Lana.

I believe the sadness Lana kept indicating was the realization that money power and fame was not what she thought it was, and in the end, was quite meaningless

and out of that came happiness (Lust for Life)

YAYO is the connection between all, and as such shows that 100% of the songs lyrics music and style is hers and her circle of compatriots.

I do believe it took her Billboard Trailblazer award to realize that she was and is a major force.

And will say it again- Lana is in territory that in the past only males resided. Which male writers and critics and record companies have never come across.

JbUHrJ6.gif

didn't she say in interviews lately that she's done with abusive relationships and feels very uneasy about 'he hit me and it felt like a kiss' because back then, that was all she knew.

of course i assume a lot of it is also persona. 

All the roses are red, and Jupiter too 

I think her drinking addiction was true and that it led her to go to a boarding school (inspiration for Carmen and This Is What Makes Us Girls?), and I think the road trips her family made when she was a kid inspired her to Ride (both the monologue and the song). Video Games id based on something real too and Born To Die is about the very thought that we all will pass away one day.

I think the whole Ultraviolence album is based on past relationships (did the friend Jim in the old trailer park interview actually hit her?? :( ), people who have used drugs or her past with drugs too... basically just looking back on her past in New York/Brooklyn, old toxic relationships, mean critics and so on.

I could go on, but I think there's parts of her real life in every album although she most likely exaggerates a lot in the lyrics as well. I can't actually tell if she ever had a "daddy" or if she just liked the forbidden/taboo thought of it...

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I think it would be near impossible to ever know exactly how much of her music is a play-by-play of past experiences. I think that, emotionally, she has always told the truth about what she's been through, how things felt for her. You can hear it in the lyrics and in her voice. Even if the line between fiction and reality is sometimes blurred in her songs, I've never felt "cheated" listening to her, and that's really all I care about (and possibly all I really even want to know). 

she is definitely heavily inspired by Nabokov for her Lolita persona. The video for Little Girls is almost creepy when she's jumping the rope or something like a child. She is definitely romanticizing older men-younger girls relationship 

All the roses are red, and Jupiter too 

i think the fact that she keeps alot of her life private shows me that most of it isn't a persona. i think she does a lot of the 50's "daddy" stuff and kinky stuff as a persona, but I do believe she lived a life of alcohol and drug abuse (aren't there FB screenshots of drug use proof?), she probably did dance for money, she lived in NY and Jersey which is hella expensive and i don't think she's ever indicated anything other than doing "odd jobs off craigs list" (sounds sketch). and she sings too much about abusive relationships for me to not believe that isn't true.

she probably exaggerates to make the music more appealing but i do think most of it is extremely true.

as a musician who has to write lyrics - you write what you know, sure you make up stories, but you always put apart of yourself into those stories.

~INSTA1.gif