Photo

Ultraviolence (Post-release thread & poll)

• Please log in to reply
1102 replies to this topic

Poll: What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence? (720 member(s) have cast votes)

What are your favourite songs on Ultraviolence?

1. Cruel World (274 votes [7.06%])

Percentage of vote: 7.06%

2. Ultraviolence (285 votes [7.35%])

Percentage of vote: 7.35%

3. Shades Of Cool (302 votes [7.79%])

Percentage of vote: 7.79%

4. Voted Brooklyn Baby (356 votes [9.18%])

Percentage of vote: 9.18%

5. West Coast (338 votes [8.71%])

Percentage of vote: 8.71%

6. Sad Girl (209 votes [5.39%])

Percentage of vote: 5.39%

7. Pretty When You Cry (218 votes [5.62%])

Percentage of vote: 5.62%

8. Voted Money Power Glory (247 votes [6.37%])

Percentage of vote: 6.37%

9. Voted Fucked My Way Up To The Top (208 votes [5.36%])

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

10. Voted Old Money (315 votes [8.12%])

Percentage of vote: 8.12%

11. The Other Woman (116 votes [2.99%])

Percentage of vote: 2.99%

12. Voted Black Beauty (268 votes [6.91%])

Percentage of vote: 6.91%

13. Guns and Roses (76 votes [1.96%])

Percentage of vote: 1.96%

14. Voted Florida Kilos (333 votes [8.58%])

Percentage of vote: 8.58%

15. Is This Happiness (152 votes [3.92%])

Percentage of vote: 3.92%

16. Voted Flipside (182 votes [4.69%])

Percentage of vote: 4.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1081 OFFLINE   kitschesque

kitschesque

fake flower garden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Locationwaimea
  • Fan Since:april 2012
  • Time Online: 53d 6h 25m 49s

Posted 02 June 2018 - 10:51 PM

Has anyone ever noticed the voice in the background during the bridge of UV?

Do you mean the "wooo, wooo, wooo" melody?

I always sing it instead of quoting the bridge damn I love that album thanks for reminding me

• cashcomesquick and khris like this

tenor.gif  afraid of sharks, but not the dark

#1082 ONLINE   cashcomesquick

cashcomesquick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts
  • Time Online: 85d 11h 49m 11s

Posted 02 June 2018 - 11:07 PM

Also, on Florida Kilos, there’s her voice behind the actual voice at some points. She sings in a higher tone. Almost like the chldish voice of BTD.
  • Ariadne likes this

#1083 OFFLINE   urbannoize

urbannoize

Urban Noize Remixes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMiami, Fl
  • Time Online: 15d 9h 15m 53s

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:10 AM

Blake Stranathan, Lana’s Del Rey guitarist sharing some of the co-writing process of Ultraviolence with Lana in 2014 for strymon

Can you share what the co-writing process was like with Lana Del Rey on the new album Ultraviolence?

It was probably the best experience of my life so far. I was in New York visiting family, and Lana invited me down to Electric Lady Studios, which was always a dream of mine being a Hendrix nut. It was surreal being and working there. We wound up being there for 8 or 9 days with basically the entire place to ourselves. I had played guitar on a couple tracks that were pretty much finished, but one morning I came to the studio super early just to work out some tones and play in that amazing live room. As I was coming up with some progressions, Lana walked in and we came up with “Pretty When You Cry” on the spot. It was recorded through a Neve 8078 which just sounded unreal. None of it was planned which certainly added to the vibe. The same happened with “Cruel World”. I was actually watching a video of the ‘BigSky’ on my computer and showed it to her. She said, “Fuck! That sounds amazing. We need that.” (Laughs) So a couple of hours later, a runner went out and grabbed one. On the last day while Phil Joly, the engineer, was bouncing down a couple sessions, and she asked me if I wanted to play around with the new pedal in the live room. I played maybe a few chords and we immediately started writing ‘Cruel World’. We recorded it just guitar and vocal in one take, and then Dan Auerbach went on to produce the song not long after. Everything about the recording and writing process was super organic, plus the energy in that studio is very powerful. I came up with the guitars for ‘Flipside‘ at home in Los Angeles using the BigSky as well. I made a quick video clip and sent it to her phone. We wound up writing the song a couple days later at her house, and then recorded it at a studio later that night. Strymon definitely played a big role in shaping the sound of the record.

https://www.strymon....ake-stranathan/

• Lucas B., cherryblossoms, californianfreak and 3 others like this

#1084 OFFLINE   Edelweiss

Edelweiss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Fan Since:2013
  • Time Online: 7d 9h 3m 1s

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:53 AM

In the last ~40 seconds of Ultraviolence, there's a subtle yelling that sounds like one of the samples from BTD. I think that it sounds like the Rick james sample. Anyone know if it is actually that? Or is it just yelling

#1085 ONLINE   WildMustang

WildMustang

motorcycle love divine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts
  • Time Online: 253d 1h 35m 17s

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:01 PM

has anyone noticed any difference between this version and the music video version? i see several people commenting on that 

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...

#1086 OFFLINE   Clampigirl

Clampigirl

Child of Yosemite Falls // Explorer of Hyrule

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Fan Since:Early 2013
  • Time Online: 113d 8h 28m 23s

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

Blake Stranathan, Lana’s Del Rey guitarist sharing some of the co-writing process of Ultraviolence with Lana in 2014 for strymon

Can you share what the co-writing process was like with Lana Del Rey on the new album Ultraviolence?

It was probably the best experience of my life so far. I was in New York visiting family, and Lana invited me down to Electric Lady Studios, which was always a dream of mine being a Hendrix nut. It was surreal being and working there. We wound up being there for 8 or 9 days with basically the entire place to ourselves. I had played guitar on a couple tracks that were pretty much finished, but one morning I came to the studio super early just to work out some tones and play in that amazing live room. As I was coming up with some progressions, Lana walked in and we came up with “Pretty When You Cry” on the spot. It was recorded through a Neve 8078 which just sounded unreal. None of it was planned which certainly added to the vibe. The same happened with “Cruel World”. I was actually watching a video of the ‘BigSky’ on my computer and showed it to her. She said, “Fuck! That sounds amazing. We need that.” (Laughs) So a couple of hours later, a runner went out and grabbed one. On the last day while Phil Joly, the engineer, was bouncing down a couple sessions, and she asked me if I wanted to play around with the new pedal in the live room. I played maybe a few chords and we immediately started writing ‘Cruel World’. We recorded it just guitar and vocal in one take, and then Dan Auerbach went on to produce the song not long after. Everything about the recording and writing process was super organic, plus the energy in that studio is very powerful. I came up with the guitars for ‘Flipside‘ at home in Los Angeles using the BigSky as well. I made a quick video clip and sent it to her phone. We wound up writing the song a couple days later at her house, and then recorded it at a studio later that night. Strymon definitely played a big role in shaping the sound of the record.

Thanks for sharing, I don't know much about guitars and equipment but I've always wondered what kind of things/brands they use for recording the songs. My brother has lots of electric guitars so I know they all sound different from each other... I've always been a bit curious I guess. :flutter:

• urbannoize and Ariadne like this

Y0QaetB.jpg

#1087 OFFLINE   urbannoize

urbannoize

Urban Noize Remixes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMiami, Fl
  • Time Online: 15d 9h 15m 53s

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for sharing, I don't know much about guitars and equipment but I've always wondered what kind of things/brands they use for recording the songs. My brother has lots of electric guitars so I know they all sound different from each other... I've always been a bit curious I guess. :flutter:

You're welcome. It was a pleasure reading and sharing. I really liking hearing about how records come together. Especially from some of my favorite artists like Lana

• Ariadne and Clampigirl like this

#1088 OFFLINE   West Coast

West Coast

your dirty elvis fantasy

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • Locationout back in the garden
  • Fan Since:June 2012
  • Time Online: 364d 7h 32m 43s

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

happy birthday to the album that changed my life

i love you forever, i love you forever

• Masochism, californianfreak, ivy and 4 others like this

fresh out of fucks forever

#1089 OFFLINE   SunChild

SunChild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Time Online: 58d 2h 57m 30s

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:27 PM

Happy anniversary UV thank you for instilling in me a life-long passion for music and for being the soundtrack to every summer of my life. Truly a timeless masterpiece
  • Ariadne, Moon River and Gangsta Queen like this

#1090 OFFLINE   GroupieLove

GroupieLove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Time Online: 4d 10h 24m 39s

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

Her best album :defeated:
I've just listened to it this morning for the first time in a long while, and bitch scalped my entire pubic hair :defeated:

My holy trinity:
-West Coast :defeated: :defeated: :defeated:
-Pretty When You Cry (underrated af tbh) :defeated: :defeated:
-Brooklyn Baby :defeated:

Honorable mentions: Flipside, Black Beauty, Old Money, Florida Kilos.

All in all, the whole album SLAYS. A timeless masterpiece.
  • SunChild and Ariadne like this

#1091 OFFLINE   Ariadne

Ariadne

Kinda daydreaming about death, kinda wanna die

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationSouth of No North
  • Time Online: 17d 22h 56m 3s

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

She's a true artist! I love ha

• urbannoize likes this

tumblr_n9t9baKLaK1sj5r1lo1_500.gif

#1092 ONLINE   Masochism

Masochism

el mal querer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,555 posts
  • Time Online: 146d 20h 38m 1s

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

she really did that with Uv didn't she 

• How To Disappear, californianfreak, Ariadne and 2 others like this

#1093 OFFLINE   Ariadne

Ariadne

Kinda daydreaming about death, kinda wanna die

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationSouth of No North
  • Time Online: 17d 22h 56m 3s

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:45 PM

Happy Birthday UV! This album speaks to my soul!

Songs that embody me: Brooklyn Baby, Ultraviolence, Old Money, Shades of Blue.

tumblr_n9t9baKLaK1sj5r1lo1_500.gif

#1094 OFFLINE   GroupieLove

GroupieLove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Time Online: 4d 10h 24m 39s

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:49 PM

Happy Birthday UV! This album speaks to my soul!

Songs that embody me: Brooklyn Baby, Ultraviolence, Old Money, Shades of Blue.

Shades of Cool, sis !
I totally forgot about that song :defeated: Definitely in my top 5 !

#1095 OFFLINE   Downtown Baby Doll

Downtown Baby Doll

i can do that for ya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 675 posts
  • LocationIn a pillow town
  • Fan Since:2012
  • Time Online: 14d 6h 59m 26s

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:17 PM

Happy birthday Ultraviolence, a truly iconic era and some of Lana's very best work. I remember listening to the album for the first time while laying on the floor before going out and listening to Cruel World like  :hair:

• Gangsta Queen likes this

Honest  Capable  Beautiful  Stable

#1096 OFFLINE   AphroditeBaby

AphroditeBaby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Time Online: 7d 13h 43m 34s

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:48 PM

This album changed my life, whew. It had such an impact when it came out, I was in the perfect (or worst?) head space for this album, every song just hit me like a brick wall and scalped me. I loved BTD, played every song on it to death, it was still fresh in my mind (I got into Lana in late 2012, early 2013 post Paradise), and I expected similar sounds with UV, but I wasn't ready. God bless Dan Auerbach for transforming this record ultimately. So much crying, so much replaying of every single song, so much swaying around in my bed room, at one point I was just like on the floor. I'm getting emotional thinking back to that day.

:defeated:

• Limelight, Lucas B., californianfreak and 1 other like this

#1097 OFFLINE   How To Disappear

How To Disappear

everything, whatever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  • LocationDown on the West Coast...
  • Fan Since:July 2014
  • Time Online: 24d 11h 43m 28s

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:04 AM

hi magnum opus!

not really my fave record of hers anymore, as honeymoon has become my soul album...but i still recognize talent/legacy when i hear it  :hooker:

• DLT, ivy and Downtown Baby Doll like this

giphy.gif

#1098 OFFLINE   vodkaa

vodkaa

DN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationWest Coast
  • Time Online: 25d 8h 23m 49s

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:08 PM

We got a lost queen of Saigon here

• DLT likes this

hv1kxw.jpg                                                                                                                                                                

#1099 OFFLINE   Bartender

Bartender

Latex box with a bow, give me a kiss & start to choke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Time Online: 142d 22h 45m 35s

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:46 AM

Literally me
  • Clampigirl likes this

giphy.gif