Subversive

LDR5 - Pre-Pre-Release Annual Meltdown and Discussion Thread

tl;dr version

The mod staff unanimously agrees:

WE DO NOT WANT THE ALBUM, OR INFORMATION ABOUT IT OBTAINED IN QUESTIONABLE WAYS, TO LEAK HERE FIRST.

...but it's not really about "the safety of Lana" (nor should it be), it's about the safety of the forum, and our concerns that details seem to be leaking out, and our belief that Lana's management is taking that seriously and watching the community closely.

----- 

Going to post this here as well -

Hi everyone: for the safety of Lana and her new project, if you have any "exclusive information" about the new record, please do not tease/share it on the forums - THIS INCLUDES DMS. Keep it to yourself. I do not want LanaBoards to be the source of any information that may upset Lana and discourage her about her new album. She will tell us the information when she is ready. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Lots of love! x

Nothing personal against @@Elle or the rest of the moderating staff, and I'm not trying to be a dick here (though probably succeeding), but I have some issues with the way this is worded (which have been partially echoed by other members like @@Atom Heart) that I tried to resolve privately, have not been addressed to my satisfaction, and I feel strongly about them, so I'm airing publicly much of what I said privately:

It's not that I necessarily disagree with the basic idea, but I kinda hate the way you framed it. As I've long advocated (these issues have come up before, see this whole thread) it's important to protect ourselves from legal threats, but I'd really hate to see us give way to censorship in doing so. I think the purpose of the forum is to more or less be a free and open forum for Lana fans to discuss whatever they want about Lana and her music, regardless of whether Lana or her management approves. I don't think it's the job of the forum to protect "the safety of Lana [or] her new project". I don't think it's the job of the forum to not "upset Lana and discourage her about her new album". I don't think Lana, her management, or their feelings, should get a veto over what people can say here or what information they can post (aside from DL links, etc.). Now, it may be regrettable when those things happen, and maybe something we should discourage, but I don't think that's something that we should enforce. As long as it hasn't been obtained in a shady way, if information leaks out, it's Lana and her management's problem, not ours. And fans should be able to talk about it. And Lana can feel how she wants about it.

But if I'm going to get overruled here, for the love of God, can we at least get rid of all the language about "the safety of Lana", etc.? That strikes me as very disingenuous. It's really about the safety of the forum. And if it is sincere, then I have even more of a problem with it, because it smacks of servile self-censorship.

"This includes DMs" so you read DMs? :eartha: isn't the point of this thread to share info and discuss?

I don't have all day to sit around & read everyone's personal DMs :lel: I have a job! I made this point after someone had posted asking for YAIL to be sent to them through the DMs about five posts before I made mine.

Mods don't have the ability to do this, and to my knowledge, I don't believe the admin does either. (Though I was always paranoid about this during the reign of King Tiarnan :creep: . And please let us know if that is possible @@Elle!) We have had an existing policy against trading in PMs which has understandably led people to speculate that we must have some ability to read PMs if we're talking about regulating them, but what that's really about is if someone reports to us that they were approached via PM about trading, or sends us a screenshot.

The point of this thread is to share info and discuss, as long as the info did not originate illegally. If a title was accidentally legally registered early, discuss. If Lana speaks about something, discuss. If Chuck seems like she's listening to a possible new Lana song in her instagram story, discuss! BUT, if the song, which at this point is illegally stolen property, is given to you, do not discuss. Do not tease, do not flaunt, do not act "exclusive." Please keep it to yourself. Only discuss what has been made public.. legally. I hope you all can understand why I ask this.

Now this way of saying it I agree with.

The great majority of Lana material (including music/photos/videos/etc.) have been sourced illegally and information pertaining to the new album is no different. Lana barely swoops in on social media to do anything but to release an album or wander around her house on IG videos. A person's Direct Messages have no reason to be policed if they want to talk about music they've obtained because that's where people do that anyway.   :pft:

My thoughts exactly. I don't enjoy coming to the forum and seeing users licking assholes for hoarders for edited versions of songs, but this is a thread entirely comprised of "OMG I HOPE IT COMES OUT SOON ADGJA;GNA;GNANGAGJ;FDIS;NRIGATEWOFV".  

No new songs but dozens/hundreds of leaks? Makes sense? If y'all (not you specifically) actually cared about Lana's privacy then you wouldn't  be posting about her leaks!   :candy:

Without endorsing any of the specific points here, the overall thrust is exactly right: This idea of not posting stuff "that may upset Lana" is completely incongruous with what this forum is or should be. It's frankly absurd.

I'm talking about content like Black Beauty that leaked and nothing actually happened afterwards.

Nothing happened? She scrapped her entire album and started over. Black Beauty was supposed to be a single.

HDB is right. That's probably literally the worst example you could pick to make your point. But I think the Nowels leaks are a good example to illustrate what I think is and is not the appropriate role of the forum. In my personal capacity, I relentlessly warned people against leaking them beforehand and tongue-lashed people afterwards. But when I saw people start posting links to parts of Rick's site that I knew would almost certainly lead to the tracks leaking, I didn't use my mod powers to censor it. For one thing, it would've just drawn more attention to it and would ultimately have been futile. But her team fucked up, the files were publicly accessible, and therefore fair game to post, even if I didn't personally think it was wise to do so.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Sorry but what is the point of writing essays on - and discussing over stuff like that?

Eclipse comes to the forum, acts benelovent and gets a lot of ... well, let's not be rude and call it attention. Even from the admin and mods.

Then in the aftermath, people start to fight over which infos COULD be talked about, although I'm pretty sure noone actually has them, and make a big deal about it.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

^^^^^^

tumblr_inline_oj2nkzQGpl1rytjco_500.gif

Lmao OG mods be slayin'. Take me back to a time of reasonability (and no snowflakes).

I never got this whole "protect Lana" shtick; I noticed it when Eclipse freaked out over the YAIL registration, and now this? She isn't our child. She is a 21st century recording artist, who is signed to a major label... I would expect her to act with the same type of professionalism her peers do. Everyone is susceptible to informational leaks now, that's just the way it is.

VyIsfwC.jpg

man what is this? Admins are fighting and Admins can read our DMs. What a hot mess!

No one is fighting & no one reads DMs! Super thrilled this unnecessary mess is going on though.

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I've seen somewhere here that the new cover shows us A blonde Lana and describes some details, and I imagined it like a Laurel Canyon 70s vibe.

i hope it's fake, i really want to see a red haired lana again (like in pre-grammys and brit awards in 2016) in the new cover

also: i hope the album title is subversive

it's a great name

i won a underrated member lipster award im dog im nice don't come for me or i will eat u

Sorry but what is the point of writing essays on - and discussing over stuff like that?

Well, if you care that LanaBoards exists, and remains a mostly open discussion forum, these are pretty fundamental issues.

Lana's management has insinuated legal threats against this forum in the past, and they've had other fan sites shut down, so it's important we minimize that risk. At the same time, they've also tried to censor us beyond legitimate takedown requests, and we shouldn't give in to that or self-censorship.

man what is this? Admins are fighting and Admins can read our DMs. What a hot mess!

No one is fighting & no one reads DMs!

I know everyone likes to make everything out to be super dramatic, but this really isn't. We're all basically in agreement that we don't want the album to leak here, and we don't want people posting information about it from shady sources that might attract unwanted attention to the poster and the forum from Lana's management. I'm just quibbling with some of the wording because it sounded like it went against something I considered pretty fundamental to the forum. That's all.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

What does that means? Is that a YES or a NO?

??? What do you even mean I just stated that no one reads DMs lol. Also, who would even have the time to??

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

also: i hope the album title is subversive

it's a great name

Keeping with the times, seeing as how this is a followup to "Honeymoon",  doesn't it make sense that the next record will be called "Monotony"? 

And in less than a year, an EP called "Divorce Court"?

KaUp1u5.png

Keeping with the times, seeing as how this is a followup to "Honeymoon",  doesn't it make sense that the next record will be called "Monotony"? 

And in less that a year, an EP called "Divorce Court"?

HAHAHA IM IN TEARS OF JOY  :D  :D  :lmao:

i won a underrated member lipster award im dog im nice don't come for me or i will eat u

"No one reads DMs" is such a reductive answer. If you don't read DMs doesn't' mean you don't have the power to read them, that's what I'm asking!

Hmm i wonder why you appeared out of nowhere worried about whether or not Elle can read PMs..

oh that's right you're too busy trading Gods and Monsters, other song Stems and OTTRs mixes. Flaunting them, then getting mad bc people are attacking you that you will never leak them lol!!

Hmm i wonder why you appeared out of nowhere worried about whether or not Elle can read PMs..

oh that's right you're too busy trading Gods and Monsters, other song Stems and OTTRs mixes. Flaunting them, then getting mad bc people are attacking you that you will never leak them lol!!

Actually don't have G&M stems or any Lana song stems, I don't have anything Lana unleaked. And i've been here for a while it's just that I don't post too much.