PARADIXO

Born to Die Turns Half a Decade Old!

Sitting in my room right now, listening to each song. 

"Video Games" came on and I just started crying because I still love this song so much, even after all these years. It's probably my favourite song on this album just because of the fact that it was the first Lana song I've ever heard. I fell in love with her immediately. 

And now, even after five years, it still has that special atmosphere, I feel so safe and peaceful when I listen to it.  :crying4:

She wrote so many beautiful songs for this record and I'm so thankful for having been able to witness her grow and evolve musically. She's the only artist that makes me feel as excited as I get for Christmas when waiting for her to release a new record. 

I really love Lana.  :smile2:  

“Summertime Sadness”

giphy.gif

“I realized that she was a brilliant songwriter and a magical artist,” said Rick Nowels on the process of “Summertime Sadness” – “She writes the kind of music I want to listen to”.

The duo met in summer 2011 and they’ve composed some of the finest pieces in Lana Del Rey’s career. Most of the time, Lana writes the words and Nowels works on chord progressions. “I could hear the chords to songs from a young age, so I would always figure out how to play songs that I liked,” he says. In 2013, a remix by Cedric Gervais made the song globally popular, making “Summertime Sadness” Del Rey’s highest charting single to date. At first, she was okay with it. “I didn’t know I could dance to my music,” she said to NYLON. However, during a show in Las Vegas, Lana publicly expressed her negative feelings towards the remix.

Its music video, one of her most popular to date, features Lana and Jaime King as a suicidal couple. The storyline was controversial enough to gain attention from both critics and the general public. The focus, however, shouldn’t be the suicide itself – “It's about not being able to live without the one you love,” King explained.

One of her most beautiful songs ever. I know it's called Summertime Sadness, but it makes me happy haha. It's fascinating to me how she managed to write a song that is catchy enough to get stuck in your head, but that you still don't get tired of listening to. I'm glad that it was so successful all over Europe (the original, not that sh*tty remix America apparently needed to appreciate it) because, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, Summertime Sadness and later on Blue Jeans turned me into a Lana fan.  :flutter:

My favorite part is "Got my bad baby by my heavenly side/I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight", her vocals sound so beautiful there. Also, I think the extended radio mix should have replaced the album version; with that gorgeous outro, it would have been the perfect closing track for the album.  :creep:

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

11:22

"it's about nothing" i love this interview

I love this one so much, too! She laughs that laugh :omfg2: a lot in this one. So cute

And also the "massive d****" bit  :ohmy:  "Don't play dumb with me, buddy"

I'm surprised Lana posted for the fourth anniversary but not the fifth! I know I talk a lot of trash about this album but it's out of arrogance because I really love Ultraviolence. Video Games and Off To The Races changed the course of my destiny and Born To Die is one of the most unique albums ever made, I'm thankful for that

ZKcaooE.png

I was waiting for @PARADIXO to post the last song, Born To Die, but probs been busy all day.

Born To Die and its video is honestly iconic. It sucks that I was first introduced to the song by a remix but when I actually listened to it and watched the video in all of its glory, I fell in love. Actually. It was like the Bel Air scene of Tropico and I was being beamed up by Lana herself :troll: I'm being extra af but I love this song, this video, the aesthetics and... this album.

Happy half-a-decade birthday to Born To Die, the album that changed my life. It made me realize how much I love music and how much I can connect to just one artist. :heart: :blush:

tumblr_ov81kxfRAq1t0t62zo1_500.gif