Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Y'all forget that Norman Fucking Rockwell is a summer album set in an apocalyptic world. By having a xmas song in the middle of the album Lana is telling us that climate change became so severe that winter turned into summer, and now when they celebrate xmas there's no more snow or winter because it's fucking hot and California is in flames. It's all part of the storytelling keep up with it hoes 7itJuZl.gif

On top of that, the next album is called White Hot Forever which basically means extreme heath forever. She’s a storyteller. How to disappear’s production is genius, innovative, storytelling and way too ahead of its time. You can tell by the overall negative response for it. And that’s that on that!

qfrWuBl.png

K guys so I'm still processing but I have some thoughts I just wanna chime in with. I was shaken to my core the first few listens but I think I've calmed down enough so it's not just the excitement talking.

I was NOT READY for the entire final 1:30 of Cinnamon Girl. Like, I cannot handle it, it could have gone so wrong but it was just enough. Those swelling string synth shits try to pull teardrops from my eyes, and one of these days it'll happen.

Oh OK those drums in California that kick in right at the front around the 2nd verse (is that when?) shot me in the chest.

LOL I avoided most commentary on the pre-release thread but knew that everyone hated How To Disappear. I'd never heard even the live performance of it so I went in totally blind. Once I heard the chorus I was like "OMG, this is the one everyone hates???" It's cheap and reductive at times but also so cheeky and a bit clever, it made me laugh.

And ok this is lame, but I love Bartender especially because it makes me feel seen. I'm a recovering alcoholic who quit drinking almost 4 years ago, and even though I don't miss drinking, I miss the camaraderie I used to have at bars. And whenever I'm out with others, I get Coke with cherry syrup to drink. So like obviously the lines "Baby remember? I'm not drinking wine... but the cherry Coke you serve is fine," really got me. My girl gets it. <3

BABY REMEMBER  :defeated:

IM NOT DRINKING WINE  :defeated:

BUT THAT CHERRY COKE YOU SERVE IS FINE  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:

AND OUR LOVES SWEET ENOUGH ON THE VINE  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:

BART-T-TENDER BART-T-TENDER BART-T-TENDER  :defeated:  :defeated:

HA HA HA HA  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:

AND OUR LOVES SWEET ENOUGH ON THE VINE  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:

BART-T-TENDER BART-T-TENDER BART-T-TENDER  :defeated:  :defeated:

HA HA HA HA  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:

the melody  :defeated: best song on the album i think

K guys so I'm still processing but I have some thoughts I just wanna chime in with. I was shaken to my core the first few listens but I think I've calmed down enough so it's not just the excitement talking.

I was NOT READY for the entire final 1:30 of Cinnamon Girl. Like, I cannot handle it, it could have gone so wrong but it was just enough. Those swelling string synth shits try to pull teardrops from my eyes, and one of these days it'll happen.

Oh OK those drums in California that kick in right at the front around the 2nd verse (is that when?) shot me in the chest.

LOL I avoided most commentary on the pre-release thread but knew that everyone hated How To Disappear. I'd never heard even the live performance of it so I went in totally blind. Once I heard the chorus I was like "OMG, this is the one everyone hates???" It's cheap and reductive at times but also so cheeky and a bit clever, it made me laugh.

And ok this is lame, but I love Bartender especially because it makes me feel seen. I'm a recovering alcoholic who quit drinking almost 4 years ago, and even though I don't miss drinking, I miss the camaraderie I used to have at bars. And whenever I'm out with others, I get Coke with cherry syrup to drink. So like obviously the lines "Baby remember? I'm not drinking wine... but the cherry Coke you serve is fine," really got me. My girl gets it. <3

Exactly the last minute of cinnamon evokes emotion in a way I didn’t think jack was capable of...I just wish we’d gotten more of that.

“Happy Labor Day weekend folks.

And happy birthday Norman

you’re one day old today!

Thank you Jack for helping me make this album thank you Chuck for taking the photos and making a three-part beautiful video

thanks Rich for our awesome videos we just put out

and thank you to my lovely girls who are on the cover with me for this Alt cover. Thank you Rick Nowels for being u and for bartender and a bit of happiness is a butterfly.

Zach Dawes and Loren for California.

Andrew Watt for producing doin time. Louis Bell for additional production on fuck it.

Thanks Benny and Ed

Polydor and Interscope. Appreciate ya

it’s been fun putting stuff out as it comes and grateful to have it all out now”

http://instagram.com/p/B1zGo8pB96H/

LOL the shade she threw at interscope and polydor like her credits were real personal with all the other people and then she was like interscope and polydor appreciate ya lol

i just downloaded my official download and it has the single version of FIILY and no jack at the end of Hope

the single version just isnt as good

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

https://onlineparades.bandcamp.com/album/sure-jan

Just listened to this and it was another incredibly fun and cute interview. Her favourite chord is E minor

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

I love her so much. All of the interviews she's been doing about NFR make it even better - understanding where she's coming from. And finally, she seems very comfortable being herself and not playing up anything. It's soooo nice. Sigh <3

Finishing my first listen to the vinyl.

So many little surprises along the way, for a start i have the neon green version but when you hold it to the light there’s almost a marble effect to it i didn’t expect.

MAC and VB sound different for the better, it all seems clearer in the vinyl and i don’t know why, just sounds so much full and fresher with those 2 songs in particular...

Also forgot it has the more chilled FIILY and the spoken outro for HIADT which are nice touches to make the vinyl more worth it.