Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

LMAO she wasn't trolling she deleted those tweets.

Well, guess who's joining the clown club. It's Ajay the fucking bufoon :rip: 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

MAC+VB+HIAB  :creep:

I doubt it, i think we saw fragments of the first part (HiaB) in Venice Bitch and Mariner's videos, and some fragments of the second part (probably NFR) in album trailer.

Yeah my official trinity is How to Disappear, California and Venice Bitch

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

What happened here?

Ajay tweeted ''ready'' hinting at the NFR reaction being posted and shortly after she tweeted ''ALBUM OF THE FUCKING YEAR''-we all thought it was NFR...turns out she was actually listening to some Aurora album and clowned everybody, then deleted the tweets. Clownery. Full on clownery

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

It's like a combination of all her previous work. The layering vocals remind me a lot of her Lizzy Grant days ("Turn the radio on, dancing to a pop song"). The lyrics of the love songs are more like the Born To Die repertoire. The guitars and piano are a strong presence like in Ultraviolence, Blake kind of has his signature sound at this point. Honeymoon really set the tone for her singing style, of which I'm glad. Also some of LFL could have fit well in this in my opinion (13 Beaches, White Mustang) and she kept the theme of broading her perspective to the current events of the world or more specifically, the USA. But it's interesting she talks a lot about her country yet the album seems heavily influenced by Britpop, The Beatles and such.

Well, to sum it up it's a 10/10 lol. How To Disappear suprised me though. I prefer the live acapella version.

never thought i would say this because i have always been adamant that htd is my least favourite track on nfr but i actually really like it now  :flop:

i've listened from start to finish a couple of times and it really does sound kinda pretty   :yesnod:

Relistening to the album for the 4392058765803th time and these are my thoughts:

1. Norman Fucking Rockwell: A beautiful introduction to this album. She first meets this man and she's not in denial of all of his flaws. He's bad at his art, blames it on outside circumstances, thinks he's the shit, but she loves the way he makes her feel. When she mentions how he "colors" her blue, I get the impression blue is more positive on this album than in her previous ones. Blue is everything he does that makes her smile- physical affection. I love the instrumentation, it almost feels like someone beginning to paint a beautiful image on a blank canvas and it sets the stage for whats to come. 10/10 :thankyou:

2. Mariners Apartment Complex: They're getting to know each other more and she realizes his first impression of her is all wrong and not that different to how critics perceive her from her work. She's basically making it clear in this song that she's stronger than she seems to be. And who I've been is with you on these beaches. Your Venice Bitch, your die-hard, your weakness. Maybe I could save you from your sins. In the context of this album, this feels more personal, like a reflection of their closeness during their rendezvous. She doesn't mind being the solid foundation of the relationship, just as long as he understands the complex aspects of who she is. She makes mistakes, but she's always going to do her best. 10/10

3. Venice Bitch: This is the playful side of their relationship. She finds herself missing him when he's away. Despite their busy schedules, they make it work. Give me Hallmark. One dream, one life, one lover. She's still a romantic, despite the fact that the relationship is still casual on his end. Paint me happy in blue. Norman Rockwell. No hype under our covers. It's just me and you. BITCH. THESE. LINES. So what makes this guy different from her previous relationships is that not only is the sex amazing, but sometimes they just lie in bed just to lie there with each other or have deep talks with one another. So whenever he comes back into town, her life is colorful... full of get-togethers and intimate moments with him. 10/10 :lanahottie:

4. Fuck It I Love You: Speaking of colorful- I like to see everything in neon. Drink lime green, stay up 'til dawn. Maybe the way that I'm living is killing me. Lana is taking a moment to reflect on the way she lives life- fast and self-destructive. It's feels so good, but the high is short and she always gets hurt in the end. Despite knowing that this relationship might end the same way, she's giving in to her emotions. In NFR he fucked her so good that she almost said, "I love you", but now she's head-over-heels in love with him. She wants him to reciprocate those feelings, but deep down she knows he won't if she tells him how she really feels. I love how the drums and overall production fits the mood and meaning of the lyrics. 11/10 :sadcore3:

5. Doin' Time: Lana said in a recent interview she loves listening to Sublime during her long car rides from San Diego. How can people say this song doesn't fit?? This song is about a man who's smitten with a woman who doesn't love him back. Loving her feels like a prison sentence, but he can't help it. This song has California written all over it. I could imagine this is Lana singing along to this track as she’s driving, thinking of this man she's in the same predicament with. It's a bop and it fits. 10/10 :illumilana2:

6. Love Song: This is a song I really warmed up to, because now I get. It's very intimate and I get movie soundtrack vibes. She's completely in love and taking in their moment. The taste, the touch, the way we love. It all comes down to me, the sound of our love song. 10/10 :krylie:

7. Cinnamon Girl: From being a Venice Bitch, to a Cinnamon Girl, this is her most vulnerable side and she's finally showing it to him. He keeps trying to keep their relationship at an emotional distance, but she still tries to reach out to him. She's close to telling him how she really feels for him, and she's hoping he doesn't break her heart like the past men in her life. She wants him to be the first to not disappoint her. Love the beautiful outro, and it kind of signifies how this is the beginning of the end for them. 9/10 :xcry:

8. How to Disappear: With the new production and another member pointing out how short the chorus (or lack of chorus) this song has, this feels like an interlude. It's almost dreamy, because this is the point where Lana is reflecting how people cope with their personal demons. She doesn't want to go through self-destruction route. She wants to find it in a better place in her life, where she has a child and cats and is happy writing in her cozy new home. She also hopes he'll still be there in the future, because she'll always be there for him. But we all know how that ends... A hazy euphoric dream. I love it for what it is. 8/10 :noir:

9. California: I think at this point he isn't leaning toward settling down with her. She's frustrated, but wants him to come back and will do whatever it takes to keep him there. We'll do whatever you want, travel wherever how far, we'll hit up all the old places. We'll have a party, we'll dance 'til dawn. The UV-like production suits the desperation coming from her lyrics. Ugh, a masterpiece. 10/10 :sadcore2:

10. The Next Best American Record: Lana reflecting again about the good times they had. They were working constantly to put out the best art they could produce. And it was almost like a high for them. It feels like California PT. 2, but here she's sharing the blame because she has the same ambitions as him. She's also being more vocal of how she felt, but it's all for nothing because she knows the kind of person he is. She can't have her cake and eat it too. 7/10 :pft:

11. The Greatest: Lana singing about how much she misses the past. Familiar theme in her song-writing, but this time she's mostly lamenting on a different loss... contemplating if she's burnt out from everything- writing, singing, the fame, love, the culture, the horrible shit going on the world. The video made it feel almost apocalyptic. You grow a bit older and the world feels less colorful now. The greatest song on this album. I love everything about it. 12/10 :crai:

12. Bartender: Lana wants to escape for a while and she and her lover drive to a place where they're far away from the Hollywood lifestyle- the paparazzi, the tabloids, the people constantly talking in their ears. She yearns for those simple times and she's trying to replicate it, but then it ends on a sour note... (HIAB) I love the piano and her vocals on this track. 10/10

13. Happiness is a Butterfly: I was not excited for this track, and now here it is making me emotional... It's an amazing heartbreaking song. He's telling her their relationship is over, and of course she's crushed because he's the same as all the other men. This break-up feels different though, because DAMN- whoever this album is inspired by, he led her to write this beautiful album. Happiness is as fleeting for her as a butterfly, and she tries to find it in the music she writes and the moments she sings it to her fans. The structure of this song is so interesting to me, it's almost like I'm listening to the end portion of a play. 11/10 :bliss:

14. Hope is a Dangerous Thing...: I could write a long analysis, but I'll save that for later. She's the most famous woman on the iPad, and if she were calling from beyond the grave, she'd just want to say "Hi, Dad." I'm still not over that review mentioning that. I love the piano and how stripped down it is. The focus was meant to be on the lyrics, and that’s why it’s simple. This her most personal song. That's it for now. 10/10 :trisha: :wowcry: :lange: :prettyhurts:

I’m listening to the vinyl and “Fuck It I Love You” is the version from the leak, NOT the single/digital version. Idk if it has the extended version of “Hope Is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have- But I Have It” with the talking at the end yet because I’m only on my first listen of the vinyl. I just thought I’d give that update right away before I forgot. It’s the (canadian) standard vinyl if that means anything.

It also has the extended version of “hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have-but I have it” (I just finished listening to the vinyl)

Did any region’s physical copies have the digital versions of FIILY and HIADTFAWLMTHBIHI or have we come to the conclusion that that’s what they were, just the digital versions?

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Why did Interscope chose the title track NFR to promote post-release? (It was the only one mentioned by Apple Music's New Music Daily playlist and on its Hot song list). I mean it's good but why not use the hype from Cinnamon Girl to promote it further?