Monicker

Lana talks Cola on Triple J with Tom & Alex (short audio interview)

I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted or even mentioned here yet.

Audio: http://soundcloud.com/triple_j/lana-del-rey-talks-pepsi

Found here: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/tomandalex/

I can't believe how much these hosts are fixated on the lyric. They're like twelve year old boys. I'll take this moment to say that the overwhelming majority of the reaction to Cola has been so juvenile and tiring. It reminds me of being in class, like in COLLEGE, and the professor says something, for example, about "the penal system" and people start giggling under their breath. Obviously she's more explicit in Cola than this example, but the reaction to it still feels like that same sort of shit. OH MY GOD, THIS WOMAN IS TALKING ABOUT HER VULVA...HA HA HA PEPSI REFERENCES...LET'S NEVER LET THIS GO.

So, whatever, now we know: it's something Barrie told her.

I suspect that the line "Everyone around me [...] just thought it was really weird" sums up a lot about reactions to her in general.

Anyway, on to more important things...what about that Cola a cappella demo she did on GarageBand?? :O When's THAT gonna leak?

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

How do you tell your girlfriend her pussy tastes like pepsi cola?

You just tell her. How do you tell your girlfriend anything?

Oh come on, of course people are making a fuss about it, it's a hilariously explicit lyric.

I'm talking about the way people have latched on to it. The lyric is funny, "quirky," sure, but people have spazzed out about it. Why the fixation? This short audio interview is a perfect example. You have her on the phone on your show and could ask her anything, but you sit there like a child giggling about one explicit lyric that mentions her pussy?

This all made me think of something i think about often--this puzzling contradiction with how the US (and other western countries i imagine) is so sex-obsessed as a culture, how it’s everywhere we look and we accept this as part of the culture--it sells and is consistently used in marketing, movies, comedy, etc., every generation is sexualized at a younger age than the previous, sex is often used as a tool or a weapon--and yet we are still mostly so rigid about it when it is completely out in the open, and we continually deem it controversial and continue to validate it as taboo. One classic example is how even nudity takes precedence over graphic violence in rating a movie for more mature audiences.

Let’s think about a male pop singer singing, “My cock tastes like Pepsi Cola.” I’m going to venture to say that there wouldn't be nearly as much and as strong of a reaction to that because male pop stars being sexually explicit and even vulgar is normative (for many obvious reasons that we won't get into here). I think this is another case of patriarchy at work. When Lana Del Rey sings this line there's an exaggerated buzz around it, i suspect, because it’s a woman expressing herself in a sexually explicit manner (tee hee, look what she said), and also there's still this stupid mystique around cunnilingus and female genitalia in general.

Part of the reaction comes from the humor in the lyric, yes, but i think it's more than that.

^ Well, i guess it depends on what kind of relationship and level of intimacy/honesty/playfulness the two people have, no? That's a whole other discussion.

I told one of my exes that his dick tastes like honey, I'm gonna sit and wait for my song. tho

I have told some exes that they taste like guava, celery, and sweat. All 3 good in my opinion. :hooker:

Been imagining this exchange ever since I heard about this.

I'm not even stuck on how he told her that, but how the hell can a vagina taste like a fucking soda? Is it fizzy?

Ew don't tell me :crying:

Been imagining this exchange ever since I heard about this.

I'm not even stuck on how he told her that, but how the hell can a vagina taste like a fucking soda? Is it fizzy?

Ew don't tell me :crying:

I don't think that's her taste, that would be weird. I think Barry was drinking Pepsi and he passed the flav.. WHY ARE WE DISCUSSING THIS?

I don't think that's her taste, that would be weird. I think Barry was drinking Pepsi and he passed the flav.. WHY ARE WE DISCUSSING THIS?

My trashy neighbor dated this guy who did meth, and therefore didn't produce a lot of saliva nor the income for lube...so he used beer to lubricate their fucking. I will be disappointed if anything less happened with Lana and Barrie :creep:

My trashy neighbor dated this guy who did meth, and therefore didn't produce a lot of saliva nor the income for lube...so he used beer to lubricate their fucking. I will be disappointed if anything less happened with Lana and Barrie :creep:

LMAO