Sign in to follow this  
Elle

NEED OPINIONS: Revamping Gallery Section

Gallery Section  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should I revamp threads in the Gallery section?

• Yes
    • No

Hi everyone! I just wanted to grab a few opinions on something I've been considering doing.

I've noticed that many threads in the Gallery section are outdated - the pictures have expired from being posted on defunct sites such as Tinypic, are not in the highest quality available, all the pictures available haven't been posted, the OPs haven't been kept up to date, etc.

All around, they aren't well organized and can be difficult to look through if you're looking through specific pictures.

I was considering deleting all threads that aren't up to date and creating new ones with OPs I can continue to update as more photos become available, as I do with OPs I manage in the Shows/Latest News threads. 

Of course, I wanted opinions if everyone would be on board with me wiping these threads and making new ones. As the threads would be deleted and new ones would take their place, all of posts in the threads would be gone. (Although if I have ever commented in a thread, I would be able to change that to the OP and all posts made after that one would be preserved. Alternatively, I could lock the outdated threads rather than deleting them & move them to an "Old Threads" subsection under Gallery so all original comments could be preserved, though this may be confusing.)

With quarantine and all, I'd have plenty of time to revamp all of these threads within a few days.

Let me know if this is something you all would be interested in, or if I should just leave them as is.

Feel free to leave your thoughts below or vote in the poll.

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

You could just link each photographer's page to the fan wiki, someone's done a great job with it there.

If i were going to rework anything, I'd continue the interview section tbh.

That's what sort of inspired me to revamp everything, so that way we could have our own organized section on LanaBoards rather than off-linking to another fansite.

The interview section is more @@evilentity 's project, but that's another thing that would be nice to have progress made during this time if possible x

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I agree, it would be nice to have everything updated, I'm sure that there's plenty of users here that are really into organizing photoshoots, maybe they could help you out

8nl2OpX.png

Is there a reason you can't just edit the OP regardless of who made it?

I could do that, but many of the posts in the threads have those expired photos flooding throughout them - just scrolling through the pages, there's so many expired images that are just annoying to scroll through when it comes to a Gallery thread that's reliant on photos. That's why I felt it would be a better idea to just remake the threads completely to have a clean slate with them, and either delete or lock&move the other threads. Also, I do feel a bit weird about editing a large number of others' OPs x

i def think you should start fresh, but also instead of deleting the old threads, just locking them. there are things of value in there and i'm sure meaningful discussions, too. i honestly hate that photos are scattered across a thread. like if a thread for a photoshoot was started in 2013 and overtime we got more images from that shoot, we would post them on like page 5 instead of the OP. it's a bit much to go through all the discussion to find them. i think your idea is great!

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

i def think you should start fresh, but also instead of deleting the old threads, just locking them. there are things of value in there and i'm sure meaningful discussions, too. i honestly hate that photos are scattered across a thread. like if a thread for a photoshoot was started in 2013 and overtime we got more images from that shoot, we would post them on like page 5 instead of the OP. it's a bit much to go through all the discussion to find them. i think your idea is great!

I'm definitely open to creating an "Old Threads" section within Gallery to hold all of the old locked threads, sort of like the "Retired Pre-Release Threads" that holds all the old locked pre-release threads under Lana Thoughts.

But yes, just as you said, I definitely feel like the threads need a clean start with OPs that can be reliably updated whenever new photos become available rather than having to dig through pages to find a certain photo, especially now as most of the posts are just expired images x

I'm leery of burying discussions. Would prefer the approach of just editing the existing OPs. That's how we decided to handle it in the Interviews section. I guess if you make new threads make sure to link to the old one at the end of the new OP.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I'm leery of burying discussions. Would prefer the approach of just editing the existing OPs. That's how we decided to handle it in the Interviews section. I guess if you make new threads make sure to link to the old one at the end of the new OP.

Yeah, I think I'd take the approach I do with Post-Release threads.. have all of the updated information in the OP and a link at the end to the locked Pre-Release threads that are harboured in their own subsection to view previous discussion x

I vote for leaving them untouched tbh, I don't think a forum is the best format for displaying/classifying lots of images and this platform will never be able to do it as well as the wikia with tabs and notes on images. Plus it would be sad to delete the threads with comments reacting to the pics in real time as they were released. It's like losing a legacy  :poordat:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

If you revamp, I think it may be cool if there would be a thread or something in which we all could make our contribution (for HQ pics, forgotten outtakes and previews, etc). :)

. we get crazy every friday night .