Beautiful Loser

Born to Die - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

What are your favourite tracks from Born To Die?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Born To Die?

• Born to Die
    • Off to the Races
    • Blue Jeans
    • Video Games
    • Diet Mountain Dew
    • National Anthem
    • Dark Paradise
    • Radio
    • Carmen
    • Million Dollar Man
    • Summertime Sadness
    • This Is What Makes Us Girls
    • Without You
    • Lolita
    • Lucky Ones

Just came in here to say that Radio is THAT bitch

Radio has aged like fine wine...

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Scattered early Lana memories:

What a start! (kind of?)

I remember the first time I saw Lana mentioned was on some 'list of upcoming artists' back in 2011 or 2012 (I was reading the list because Haley Reinhart was on it, American Idol legend, one of the most kickass singers to grace the show) and that was back when 'Gangsta Nancy Sinatra' was her selling point. I can't remember if I listened to Video Games then or not but I remember the comments section wasn't too kind to her (she can't sing, she's got too much work done on her face, blah blah blah ignorant bullshit). 

Later, I was hunting around the iTunes new music release page (my primary way of discovering new artists back in the day) and I saw the double BtD and Blue Jeans single and I just went ahead and bought it, and listened while walking around downtown Pittsburgh. Video Games SENT me. The harp, the piano, the strings, that damn bell. It's one of more vivid music experience memories that I have. On the other hand I remember listening to Blue Jeans and liking it but questioning whether I thought some of the lyrics were a little too much (fresh to death and sick as cancer, for example, I was a bit more prudish and timid back then). 

The Born to Die music video gave me EVERYTHING when it came out. I felt so edgy for liking it, with her dead in his arms in the end of the video. I think it was this song and video that cemented her as an artist I was looking forward to continue following. 

I actually didn't love Off to the Races when it debuted, I thought it was kind of ugly. It's charm has revealed itself to me over the years though and I've come to love it. My one college friend (this album came out my junior year maybe?) would lose it every time I recited the line "sittin' sipping' on that black crystaaaaaaal YES". 

I even remember where I was specifically when the SNL moment occurred. Friend of a friends college dorm room, probably playing never have I ever, sitting in a circle, drinking Blue Wave and pink lemonade. I was so juiced when Danny Radcliffe introduced her. We all know what happened and that night I felt relieved that half the room wasn't paying enough attention to the tv to actually register the performance. lol.

Anyways I think this record, though different than anything else she's done, has aged quite nicely and I can still get down on Friday night to it. 

Favorites: Video Games, Summertime Sadness, Radio, Dark Paradise, Without You, Born to Die

Hot Take Least favorite: Million Dollar Man. Its not a bad song but her vocals sound so FUCKED up on the album. Like they tried to pitch correct it but because she's using a style of singing that elides and scoops and warbles a lot it just sounds so wrong. I skip it every time. 

Never understood the Born To Die hate even by her fans. Get’s boring hearing it’s ‘over produced’ (it isn’t it’s very well produced and has beautiful soundscaping) and ‘not genuine blah blah blah!’, it’s indie dream pop and is heavily influenced by Americana, it’s the whole idea of the album it’s a concept. She’s an artist and can channel whatever personality she pleases, if people want some basic bitch without any asthetic go listen to Adele.

Reveiwers are BIASED and heavily influenced by exsisting opinions, as soon as other artists started respecting Lana and she sold over 5 million and 10 million+ singles in the first year or so critics opinions gravitated. It became clear all the bullshit they spoke about to begin with was exactly that....bullshit. Now Born To Die is ranked frequently by the same critics and media outlets as one of the best albums of the decade and is still influential 8 years later.

It could have been easy for critics to slam Ultraviolence in the same way as BTD if opinions didn’t shift, They could have called it out for being another album about bad boyfriends, sadness and another rehash of Nirvana and grunge influences.

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

Happy 8th Birthday Born To Die! In light of everything that happened last night, I find it fitting that we can recognize this career changing, industry changing album. Lana's impact on music will never go unnoticed by those who matter, even if the scammys don't award her for it. I'm sure that this album is so special to so many of us, so I think it would be fun if we all shared our first encounters with this album.

It was around Winter of 2013-2014, and I had left a tee shirt in my sister's room. I walked in and saw her watching the National Anthem music video, and I was instantly floured. And here we are now...

4ae7506946ad4a6aadd6cd3faf8b58fe.jpg

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

I was 13 back in Mid-December 2012 and my friend at the time asked me in MSN (:rip:) about my music taste. I was really ignorant and didn't know pretty much anything, I only liked 1-2 songs of an artist and that was it, so she was always mocking me because I liked songs and not artists or albums. I listened to mainstream pop, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, stuff like that. She asked me about Lana and I've never heard of her before, once again I said I didn't like her although I had no idea who she was. We kept talking and since Lana was the only artist I didn't know at all I googled her and watched a bunch of lyrics videos - I remember Kill Kill was among them, and so was Radio. I saw the Born to Die music video and that's when something sold it to me. I can't remember what it was, but there was just something in it that made me drawn to it, the image, the atmosphere, the beauty, I'm not sure. It was... different.

That same night I remember sending my friend a print screen. I was downloading EVERY Lana song. I've never done that with an artist before. And the rest is history.

BTD is probably the album I've listened to the most in my entire life. I have so many early teenage memories with each song - listening to National Anthem in a road by the beach on my way to the Aquarium, falling in love with Ride on a long sunset ride (mind the pun), crying while hearing Carmen, my friend singing TIWMUS when we both turned 16, thinking about BTD and remembering first crush. I made a presentation on Walt Whitman because of Body Electric, read Lolita because of the song. This album was a discovery of myself.

Happy birthday, Born To Die!

Webp-net-resizeimage.gif

Obsessing over Diet Mountain Dew atm. it is a bop.

BABY PUT ON HEART-SHAPED SUNGLASSES 'CUZ WE GONNA TAKE A RIDE    :lanahairflip:

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

Never understood the Born To Die hate even by her fans. Get’s boring hearing it’s ‘over produced’ (it isn’t it’s very well produced and has beautiful soundscaping) and ‘not genuine blah blah blah!’, it’s indie dream pop and is heavily influenced by Americana, it’s the whole idea of the album it’s a concept. She’s an artist and can channel whatever personality she pleases, if people want some basic bitch without any asthetic go listen to Adele.

Reveiwers are BIASED and heavily influenced by exsisting opinions, as soon as other artists started respecting Lana and she sold over 5 million and 10 million+ singles in the first year or so critics opinions gravitated. It became clear all the bullshit they spoke about to begin with was exactly that....bullshit. Now Born To Die is ranked frequently by the same critics and media outlets as one of the best albums of the decade and is still influential 8 years later.

It could have been easy for critics to slam Ultraviolence in the same way as BTD if opinions didn’t shift, They could have called it out for being another album about bad boyfriends, sadness and another rehash of Nirvana and grunge influences.

I think the production is great, but it’s still my least favorite album, even though I still like it. The cliched lyrics, Lana sounding heavily bored on Born To Die, and her singing in general sounding annoying with the different types of voices she tries to pull off. Nobody is saying she can’t channel personalities, but no ones saying it can’t be criticized

I think the production is great, but it’s still my least favorite album, even though I still like it. The cliched lyrics, Lana sounding heavily bored on Born To Die, and her singing in general sounding annoying with the different types of voices she tries to pull off. Nobody is saying she can’t channel personalities, but no ones saying it can’t be criticized

And on her other albums she dosn’t sound bored or has cliched lyrics? We can agree to disagree sis

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

As much as I enjoy the album, still coming back to it after so many years, I literally cannot stand the titular song, listening to it feels kind of embarrassing to me. Everything seems wrong with it, beginning with her voice and irritating background echos, ending with the music video. Anyone else?

original.gif

As much as I enjoy the album, still coming back to it after so many years, I literally cannot stand the titular song, listening to it feels kind of embarrassing to me. Everything seems wrong with it, beginning on her voice and irritating background echos, ending on the music video. Anyone else?

i agree heavily