Monicker

Minor General Questions that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

I've been thinking about it... what's Lana's deal with singing national anthem?

I get it fits into her Americana theme....

I've always been curious about those lyrics:

Maybe we could go to Coney Island/Maybe I could sing the national anthem

and, of course

I sing the National Anthem/While I'm standing/Over your body/Hold you like a python...

I sorta get it, but at the same time - not.

What is the significance to her singing the national anthem (especially in Mermaid Motel)?

i am nothing and should be everything

and, of course

I sing the National Anthem/While I'm standing/Over your body/Hold you like a python...

What is the significance to her singing the national anthem (especially in Mermaid Motel)?

it's pretty meaningless in the context of those lyrics. i think it's just a part of her whole ~americana~ thing

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

and, of course

Her uses of the concept "National Anthem", while Americana-ish, doesn't show a fixed meaning across songs, imo. Her lyrics, like the visual aspects of her videos, might be re-used for different reasons.

I've always taken "National Anthem" (her song) to be her authentically singing about the inauthenticity she was (later) accused of -- when detractors took the song to be about her values (ugh). While I'm sure she's familiar with the lifestyle (at least in her mind), I don't think she was praising the lifestyle. 

"Mermaid Motel" shows it as a random act of patriotism in a song that is not about patriotism; so I'm guessing it's a minor part of the song.

You might also add "Oh Say Can You See" (from AKA) which samples a bit of the "The Star-Spangled Banner" lyric (its first line). Though the two songs share a lot of "star" imagery, LDR's song seems to be about her wanderlust and nocturnal habits.

@@Horror Pop mm are you talking about "Freaks are called freaks and are treated as they are treated - in the main, abominably - because they are human beings who cause to echo, deep within us, our most profound terrors and desires." it's a james baldwin quote and ya it's amazing. her twitter only had the bolded part tho

tumblr_pinn5thM7y1y0ns5so1_400.gif

This may sound like a strange question, but what is that bubble/round thing in the Y&B video? I mean during the second verse, when Lana's singing on the piano... I've been trying to figure what the hell that thing was since the video came out. Any thoughts?

ZmJh1LG.jpg

This may sound like a strange question, but what is that bubble/round thing in the Y&B video? I mean during the second verse, when Lana's singing on the piano... I've been trying to figure what the hell that thing was since the video came out. Any thoughts?

I always assumed it was an image that was super imposed over her singing, like a double exposure photograph. I could be wrong though.

I am a shark,  beware of my bark

This is a bit of a weird question, but could someone link me to the photos of all of Lana's old Facebook posts? I mean the ones like this:

tumblr_n13dt3nkVw1rab19lo1_500.png

They make me laugh so much, I just wanted to see what other ones there are. Thank you!

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

This is a bit of a weird question, but could someone link me to the photos of all of Lana's old Facebook posts? I mean the ones like this:

They make me laugh so much, I just wanted to see what other ones there are. Thank you!

OMG, I would love it too <3

OMG, I would love it too <3

I don't think we really openly share this stuff because it's very personal and it's already bad enough everyone knows her Facebook account, sorry.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I don't think we really openly share this stuff because it's very personal and it's already bad enough everyone knows her Facebook account, sorry.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude! I just find her old posts like this hilarious and wondered if there were more.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

According to this early blog post it was also available for purchase on Napster. Also, I think I remember people on LDR.FM discussing it having been available on some French site, or am I thinking of something else?

I remember I ripped all the songs from the album on Napster back in the day   :defeated:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Is there a topic anywhere which states which album each of the unreleased songs was intended for? I know we don't know the majority of them, but for example we know that Damn You was for BtD. Is there information anywhere which states which album the others were meant to be for? Thank yoi!

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

What are other  upbeat Lana songs like Live or Die, Butterflies part 2, Go Go Dancer, Hit and Run, Jealous Girl, Serial Killer...?

What are other upbeat Lana songs like Live or Die, Butterflies part 2, Go Go Dancer, Hit and Run, Jealous Girl, Serial Killer...?

Making Out

Ghetto Baby

Match Made In Heaven

Delicious

St. Tropez

Summer of Sam

Hot Hot Hot

Big Bad Wolf

Behind Closed Doors

Meet Me In The Pale Moonlight

Scarface

Lift Your Eyes