Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club Merch & Media Drop

12 minutes ago, Dominikx4 said:

theres no specific japanese vinyl pressings for most releases these days. Most of the vinyl records sold in Japan are EU/US imports

11 minutes ago, Clampigirl said:

I was looking through Amazon JP and some other Japanese webshop and I couldn't find  COCC album with Japanese obi/paper slip on the picture examples, so I don't know what it'll look like when it's for sale. I highly doubt this version will be sold in Japan though since the translation is off.

Edit. What Dominik said.

I'm not very familiar with the whole process so excuse my ignorance on stuff like this. I just kinda had a feeling it was being sold and using the language as an aesthetic purpose which doesn't sit right with me. But the lack of information can't confirm nor deny that so I'll just hope its Japanese owned because it doesn't seem to be released as a Japanese product in Japan like what @Clampigirl said.

11 minutes ago, electra said:

probably not, as i said the company just seem to be quite weeb-y but idk. maybe they are japanese owned (or maybe a british person with japanese ancestry or heritage) and just based in the UK (which would make sense).

Yeah if its like being run and owned by people with Japanese ancestry then thats completely fine. Like I don't want to be that girl, but it did raise some questions for me :oprah:

Y0jLcfB.gif.˚₊‧.༻𓆩❤︎𓆪 My love's pourin' 𓆩‪‪❤︎𓆪༺.‧₊˚. yxuiMLe.gif
34h2wyS.gif

°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||Like a waterfall.||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||

1:32━━━━━♡────2:42

⇆ | ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ | ↺

1 minute ago, boom like that said:

Yeah if its like being run and owned by people with Japanese ancestry then thats completely fine. Like I don't want to be that girl, but it did raise some questions for me :oprah:

i don't think entire languages can be appropriated like that. the japanese also tend to be very appreciative of representation of their culture, unlike a lot of other cultures. japanese is also extremely commonly used in graphic design simply because the language looks lovely. i've definitely seen a lot of things in japanese for the sake of it. heck, i've done it in my own videos games with cityscapes. japanese is one of the very few languages that i believe is just used in graphic design for the sake of it, maybe next to english itself.

1 hour ago, electra said:

i don't think entire languages can be appropriated like that. the japanese also tend to be very appreciative of representation of their culture, unlike a lot of other cultures. japanese is also extremely commonly used in graphic design simply because the language looks lovely. i've definitely seen a lot of things in japanese for the sake of it. heck, i've done it in my own videos games with cityscapes. japanese is one of the very few languages that i believe is just used in graphic design for the sake of it, maybe next to english itself.

I mean yeah I can get that, but it still feels weird to me because I'm Japanese myself and its like a weird mixture of feelings if you can get that lol. Especially when theres profit to be made out of it and its incorrect/improper :bebe:

34h2wyS.gif

⇆ | ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ | ↺

Whhaaaat! How did people even find out about this?! Already sold out! Goddammit.

I think I'm gonna have to be an adult about this and be okay with that fact that I'll never own it, cause I'll be dammed if I'm paying £300 on ebay for a copy only slightly different to what I already own. 

8 minutes ago, boom like that said:

I mean yeah I can get that, but it still feels weird to me because I'm Japanese myself and its like a weird mixer of feelings if you can get that lol. Especially when theres profit to be made out of it and its incorrect/improper :bebe:

i wouldn't think too hard on it, if they screwed it up it might just be an accident. heck, they might even be japanese and not speak the language, or don't speak it well. the website is extremely non-descript about the business, which is annoying.  i'm trying to do some research now, but they're definitely scotland based.

Edited by electra
okay i looked it up and i found their names, and they're scottish, but i can't see any photos so idk we're lost now :^(

Respectfully, I don't think most Lana fans speak/read Japanese, so I'm not sure any of this is that deep. It's just nice to have a limited collectible from this era. I own another artist's vinyl (Yaeji) that came with a limited OBI and it looks really nice, even if it's just decorative.

Assai was clearly in partnership with Polydor for this, so it's real and authorized, even if the language is incorrect. People are buying it because it's a unique, hand-numbered collectible variant, not because they want to learn how to read the phrase "Chemtrails Over the Country Club" in Japanese off of it.

2 minutes ago, hydrangeas said:

Whhaaaat! How did people even find out about this?! Already sold out! Goddammit.

I think I'm gonna have to be an adult about this and be okay with that fact that I'll never own it, cause I'll be dammed if I'm paying £300 on ebay for a copy only slightly different to what I already own. 

theres at least one coming back in stock, i just canceled one of my copies, so keep looking

image.png

8 minutes ago, Poor Stacy said:

Respectfully, I don't think most Lana fans speak/read Japanese, so I'm not sure any of this is that deep. It's just nice to have a limited collectible from this era. I own another artist's vinyl that came with a limited OBI and it looks really nice, even if it's just decorative.

Assai was clearly in partnership with Polydor for this, so it's real and authorized, even if the language is incorrect. People are buying it because it's a unique, hand-numbered collectible variant, not because they want to learn how to read the phrase "Chemtrails Over the Country Club" in Japanese off of it.

putting this in spoilers because its not really about COCC anymore

Spoiler

its not even THAT wrong tbh. There are always discrepancies on how to spell certain English words in Japanese - The official transliteration for Lana Del Rey is "Rana Deru Rei", and they used "Rana Derru Rei", which when pronounced sounds more like an L sound rather than an R.

But yeah idk what happened with "Kemitoreiru" instead of "Kemutoreiru", since the U sound is frequently dropped and usually used to spell single consonant sounds. Might be a typo, I hope theyre fixing it for the actual release :toofunny: 

In the end, they couldve just consulted japanese Wikipedia for the spelling but its whatever. It seems to be licensed by Polydor, and thats enough for me to be interested in buying it, but i can totally see why people wanna skip this one.

image.png

1 minute ago, Dominikx4 said:

In the end, they couldve just consulted japanese Wikipedia for the spelling but its whatever. It seems to be licensed by Polydor, and thats enough for me to be interested in buying it, but i can totally see why people wanna skip this one.

i have a feeling they gave this chain a small amount of the indie exclusive, the store turned around to interscope and said "hey! can we customise this and make a little obi? and number it?" and interscope were probably like "yes fuck it anything for sales" and now we're here

It certainly is a new variant. That's for a fact. And getting it at a face value is a good add to a collection, but reselling this/buying this for a crazy price is very meaningless. After all it is the absolute same yellow vinyl (Not same this cause it is all "yellow", it is the same indie yellow vinyls but with a sketchy OBI strip only for an aesthetic lol) The product itself is exactly identical. If people are trying to buy this release for a fortune, I really wouldn't recommend it.. That is like getting identically pressed CD's from different record stores for a different sticker.

+ Yup. The catalog number is the same as indie yellow. If you are not a die-hard collector, it really doesn't worth buying unless there are people who would buy this for an insane resale price later on.

2 minutes ago, yourboy said:

It certainly is a new variant. That's for a fact. And getting it at a face value is a good add to a collection, but reselling this/buying this for a crazy price is very meaningless. After all it is the absolute same yellow vinyl (Not same this cause it is all "yellow", it is the same indie yellow vinyls but with a sketchy OBI strip only for an aesthetic lol) The product itself is exactly identical. If people are trying to buy this release for a fortune, I really wouldn't recommend it.. That is like getting identically pressed CD's from different record stores for a different sticker.

at base level, these are the facts!

I guess what I'm feeling isn't due to spelling errors but multiple other things aswell but I don't want to derail the thread more than I have (not my question for the culture moment :pout:)

34h2wyS.gif

⇆ | ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ | ↺

TameimpalaAssaiEd._800x652.jpg?v=1608205

I found this on google, the obi looks pretty cute IMO.

And when checking on discogs, this version is valued at max. €120, compared to the 'standard' cream vinyl at max. €57

3 hours ago, Clampigirl said:

I can read Japanese. Her name is spelled ラナ・デル・レイ on Japanese Wiki (and Universal Japan) and it's spelled like ラナデルレイ on this album's cover - small difference but yeah, that's something to take into consideration. The dots (・) are usually/have to be used for foreign names, like Lana's, and I have to use them to spell my name in Japanese too. Note that her name was spelled like Wiki's (with dots and without ッ) on the Ultraviolence JP edition.

As for the spelling of Chemtrails over the country club... It's spelled like ケムトレイルズ・オーヴァー・ザ・カントリー・クラブ on Universal Japan's website so the spelling on this vinyl's obi is incorrect.

Thank you for bringing this up. I'd be think twice before buying this version.

For those who don't see the differences:

Hide contents

Green for correct spelling, red for incorrect spelling.

ラナ・デル・レイ

Lana・Deru・Rei

ラナデルッレイ

LanaDeruRrei

ケムトレイルズ・オーヴァー・ザ・カントリー・クラブ

Kemutoreiruzu oovaa za kantorii kurabu

ケミトレイズオーバーゼカントリークラブ

Kemitoreizu oovaa ze kantorii kurabu

I find Japanese fascinating (I don't mean this as a fetishization or anything else but appreciation), I'm learning German at the moment but once I'm fluent I'd really love to start learning it

2 hours ago, electra said:

actually this just appears to be common to this individual webstore. they seem to have a thing with their limited editions where they create obi strips - it's not just a lana thing. if the translation is bad...well, i mean,  its a UK produced vinyl, and i guess the company are just a bit weeb-y and like doing japanese editions. i can understand why they would chose to do japanese designs on an aesthetical level.

its still a different variant unfortunately. i know some people are salty about this version but this is literally no different to walmart putting a sticker on the front of their picture disc or sound of vinyl putting a card sleeve around theirs. saying "it's fake" is a bit rude rather than "this is just an independent stores way of making their product unique to them".

if all the other retailers can have custom stickers and strips what's so bad about this? people just particularly seem to be salty that its hand-numbered. the people on reddit need to stop putting this version down bc they didn't get one :creep:

Hide contents

it's literally also no different to how people collect different CD's just for the stickers and packing differences. at the end of the day, its just preference tho. i really don't think there's as much harm done as the people on reddit seem to be continuously saying.

Yes, I get your point and I apologize, I didn't want to sound rude, but at the same time I cannot help at finding this a bit problematic even, it's like if they decide to do it in Spanish, I mean, I'm Spanish and I wouldn't find it offensive, but it would be very weird to me to see an item with tags, labels, etc. in my language saying that it's a "Spanish edition", but in fact it hasn't been manufactured or even sold in Spain... that's what I meant.

But anyway, at the end of the day, even if there are minor mistakes, it's true that you guys will own a limited, rare item, which is what us collectors are all about :)

On 4/10/2021 at 9:30 AM, TrashMagiq said:

the incest admiring... country album’s coming i fear

Just now, mezzanine said:

I find Japanese fascinating (I don't mean this as a fetishization or anything else but appreciation), I'm learning German at the moment but once I'm fluent I'd really love to start learning it

Yes, I get your point and I apologize, I didn't want to sound rude, but at the same time I cannot help at finding this a bit problematic even, it's like if they decide to do it in Spanish, I mean, I'm Spanish and I wouldn't find it offensive, but it would be very weird to me to see an item with tags, labels, etc. in my language saying that it's a "Spanish edition", but in fact it hasn't been manufactured or even sold in Spain... that's what I meant.

But anyway, at the end of the day, even if there's minor mistakes, it's true that you guys will own a limited, rare item, which is what us collectors are all about :)

no its chill! i guess each to their own with their opinions on this one. it's a cute little thing that hopefully people won't charge stupid prices for. over $500 is insane. i can see maximum maybe £100-£150 like any limited version but i think you're just taking advantage of people if its anymore than that :/ i also thought we were over more editions of this album but unfortunately not :facepalm: it's just getting to the point where her label as lowkey taking the piss

3 minutes ago, electra said:

no its chill! i guess each to their own with their opinions on this one. it's a cute little thing that hopefully people won't charge stupid prices for. over $500 is insane. i can see maximum maybe £100-£150 like any limited version but i think you're just taking advantage of people if its anymore than that :/ i also thought we were over more editions of this album but unfortunately not :facepalm: it's just getting to the point where her label as lowkey taking the piss

Totally! ugh don't get me started about prices, I have PTSD from SOPHIE and the fact that H&P have had to make a repressing statement of the NMTS EP which probably was 10-14€ because people are selling it for 200€ taking advantage of her death :toofunny: the fan/collector world is ruthless

On 4/10/2021 at 9:30 AM, TrashMagiq said:

the incest admiring... country album’s coming i fear

1 minute ago, mezzanine said:

Totally! ugh don't get me started about prices, I have PTSD from SOPHIE and the fact that H&P have had to make a repressing statement of the NMTS EP which probably was 10-14€ because people are selling it for 200€ taking advantage of her death :toofunny: the fan/collector world is ruthless

uhhh this! the climate of collecting is actually, currently, extremely difficult and this is a big part of why.