Fluorine

Songs & Musicians Similar to Lana Recommendations Thread

Also, Sitar, as much as you love the rawness and mood of Get Drunk, you really should check out The Idler Wheel if you haven’t already. That goes too for everyone who’s been raving about Noir. I mean, The Idler Wheel is a gaping wound. It's also one of the angriest records.

Sounds like my kind of album :ohreallygirl:

$5 on Amazon MP3, suitable quality to hear it in? :hooker:

monicker, i absolutely agree with you, but was kahne>brion even an issue? it's no competition: jon brion slays! sorry david, you're truly excellent, but imo you're no match for the masterful instrumentation, as well as the emotional subtlety and nuances of jon's work. i think lizzy's AKA would've been amazing anyway (if her demos are anything to go by) without him. am i sacrilegous? :eek:

bear in mind that brion also produced fiona's "when the pawn" (my most favorite of her albums), elliott smith's unreleased 2001 version of "from a basement on a hill", rufus wainwright's first album, of montreal's "false priest", kanye west's "late registration" and countless others, including sky ferreira's upcoming full-length album (which gives me hope that with him, she might fullfil her potential). also, jon brion's has released albums of his own, such as 2001's "meaningless", which was pretty good. though i can't hear this at work to verify the quality of the video, this is a song of his that i like a lot:

anyway, we should get back to tha basics of this thread, right? :creep2:

Sounds like my kind of album :ohreallygirl:

$5 on Amazon MP3, suitable quality to hear it in? :hooker:

Do it. Be kind to it, too. Give it a good chance. You may have to warm up to it, but it is so rewarding. Just let is smash you over the head. And prepare to feel like a spear is being driven through your chest and ripping you open. And then, it’s beautiful, the last two songs are these little joyous strolls through the park. It’s so nice that she finally finds happiness in the end after that brutal journey. And it refutes the (i think totally stupid) argument that an artist needs to be sad and tortured to create their best work. In fact, she has said multiple times that she doesn’t like to/can’t make music when she is feeling depressed. That’s how i am too.

i think lizzy's AKA would've been amazing anyway (if her demos are anything to go by) without him. am i sacrilegous?

Oh, absolutely, me too.

also, jon brion's has released albums of his own, such as 2001's "meaningless", which was pretty good. though i can't hear this at work to verify the quality of the video, this is a song of his that i like a lot:

Ha, i've never been able to get into his singing, thus i can't get into Meaningless. But his film scores for Punch-Drunk Love, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I Heart Huckabees are amongst my very favorite music in recent years. I have the complete scores for P-DL and ESofSM if anyone wants them.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Ha, i've never been able to get into his singing, thus i can't get into Meaningless. But his film scores for Punch-Drunk Love, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and I Heart Huckabees are amongst my very favorite music in recent years. I have the complete scores for P-DL and ESofSM if anyone wants them.

i love his soundtracks, too! they are more than just music that accompanies scenes in a film...beyond that, which he does beautifully, they can be appreciated and enjoyed in themselves, as albums in their own right :)

I wish more "surf noir" artists existed, I love AKA and it seems so singular.

lol i actually found a band called 'surf noir' when searching for such a thing. no lyrics but the music is reallly cool

i suggest artists like julie london/ rosemary clooney who want something like lana! 2 of my faves

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

I'm a HUGE Fiona Apple fan, but I wouldn't say there are any comparisons at all to be made between her and Lana (except for the fact that the intro to Million Dollar Man sounds almost exactly like the intro to The Child is Gone). The only comparison I've been able to find (and it's been mentioned before in this thread) is that Lana sounds quite a bit like Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star vocally sometimes, but that's still a very superficial comparison. In terms of subject matter and aesthetic, Lana is totally unique.

tori_amos_signature_by_ghosttree-d34dy5d.png

bear in mind that brion also produced fiona's "when the pawn" (my most favorite of her albums), elliott smith's unreleased 2001 version of "from a basement on a hill", rufus wainwright's first album, of montreal's "false priest", kanye west's "late registration" and countless others, including sky ferreira's upcoming full-length album (which gives me hope that with him, she might fullfil her potential)

This is something I can't wait to hear. I really don't like the one song he did on Ghost, but I feel that in the long run, there's still hope for their work together.

This was one of those things where the truth took a long time to form because her fans didn't want to accept that, as amazing as the original sessions for Extraordinary Machine are, she wasn't happy with them. People love to pit the "Artist" against the big, bad record company and turn everything into a matter of artistry vs. business, but that's not what was going on at all with this situation (and i think a lot of her fans still don't want to accept the truth). She didn't feel the music/sound/direction was her (which i sensed from the very first listen--that record has Jon Brion's thumbprint all over it) because, as she admitted later, she didn't know what she wanted. She just knew that when the sessions were over what turned out wasn't what she wanted. It's even well known that she didn't even really feel like making the record and that Jon Brion had to sort of push her to do it. It wasn't until she stepped away from it for a while that she finally got a clear picture of what she wanted, so she herself chose to go in another direction with a different producer. I feel like i'm in the minority in that i actually like both versions. I mean, the Elizondo version doesn't hold a candle to Jon Brion's production, but i still think it's really solid and quite inventive in its own right. I'm thankful we have both, such radically different sounding versions of the same album.

Ooh, thanks for this. I have read Wikipedia's explanation several times, but it didn't do the situation justice. :)

Coincidentally, this reminds me of how I feel about Regina's last release...also involving Elizondo. :creep: I know she was really proud of it, but from what I can tell, many, many fans feel like it doesn't live up to her past releases, except for perhaps Far. But that's not his fault; that's just a matter of accepting what the artist wishes to produce, and understanding that she's never gonna go back to the brilliance of 11:11, Songs, or even Soviet Kitsch.

Do you like WWSFTCS, Monicker? Wrong thread, perhaps, but I'd be interested to hear how you feel about it. :hooker:

This is something I can't wait to hear. I really don't like the one song he did on Ghost, but I feel that in the long run, there's still hope for their work together.

Ooh, thanks for this. I have read Wikipedia's explanation several times, but it didn't do the situation justice. :)

Coincidentally, this reminds me of how I feel about Regina's last release...also involving Elizondo. :creep: I know she was really proud of it, but from what I can tell, many, many fans feel like it doesn't live up to her past releases, except for perhaps Far. But that's not his fault; that's just a matter of accepting what the artist wishes to produce, and understanding that she's never gonna go back to the brilliance of 11:11, Songs, or even Soviet Kitsch.

God, look at this. I was searching for info on Fiona's new song, Dull Tool, to see if my suspicion that it's a Jon Brion production was correct, and i came across this Slate article that is still, more than seven years later, perpetuating the myth that Extraordinary Machine was delayed by the record company: "Musically, it’s a sequel to Apple’s previous albums with Brion—their last collaboration was infamously delayed by the label for years and never released in its original form." This kind of stuff really bugs me. Some myths never die, i guess. Especially when the myth centers around the romantic notion of an unjust struggle between the Artist and the Record Busine$$. There's this knee jerk reaction to side with the Artist and assume they're being manipulated and kicked around by the guys in suits. A lot of people can't or don't want to wrap their head around the idea of the big, bad major label giving the artist total freedom, endless resources, and all the time in the world to do exactly as the artist pleases, only to make the decision to shelve their own work. It's easier to create a villain to deflect blame from one's hero.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Over here in Germany they call Lana 'Chris Isaak's stepdaughter' and that her music would sound like Chris' song 'Wicked Game'. As a Chris Isaak fan I don't think they have much in common as musicians, but it's a matter of opinion, I guess. I love them both ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over here in Germany they call Lana 'Chris Isaak's stepdaughter' and that her music would sound like Chris' song 'Wicked Game'. As a Chris Isaak fan I don't think they have much in common as musicians, but it's a matter of opinion, I guess. I love them both ...

Oh Yes Chris Isaak ! I am such a huge fan.

And you all did know that Lana is a huge fan of him too ? She said in an interview that she listens everytime to Wicked Game.

I can't stop think about the similarities between Wicked Game and Blue Jeans. The water , the song . 

Its like Blue Jeans is a modern version of this classic.