Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Ok you're actually bringing up something very interesting!

I always thought as TFJ, EH and FROOT as complementary to each other and every record was the "natural" consequence of the former. Like, during TFJ she was so above pop music that she managed to sneak in in every interview how she loathed Dr Luke and she thought he did crappy music, then came EH which subverts everything and it makes so much sense! Marina's words have never been coherent or actually sensible, we know she's always just saying the first thing that pops in her mind and she changes idea like the wind blows. Then came FROOT, which saw a newfound, happy at last, Marina, maybe a little bit watered down (cause the melodies kind of are) but definitely Marina, from the heart-wrenching ballad Happy to the iconic anthem Froot, Ellie's diss track, the faux-deep instagram influencer-borne Savages, etc... everything is so Marina! (even scrapping a song she promised to release)

Then came L+F, which has literally nothing remarkably interesting, let alone Marina, to it. Like it's plain bad 

It feels bad to say but I believe Marina, as in Marina and The Diamonds, is well gone and we'll never gonna hear from her again. She might as well have died, just like Amy Winehouse, for what we're concerned. 

There is literally nothing I want more than to have a M5 that feels like the Marina I fell in love with but in all honesty I doubt she even has it in her? She clearly thinks being faux deep and releasing The Chainsmokers-ish songs is ok so it's not like we have a choice

Songs like 'Immortal' and 'Savages' follow that 'Instagram/save the turtles' bullshit, but at least they're written really well.

They still, at the end of the day, coincide with the 'Fruit/da cycle of da earth :P/All Natural/100% Organic' theme at least. Lyrics like "I wanna be a silk flower, like I'm never gonna die.", "We live, we die, We steal, we kill, we lie, Just like animals, But With Far Less Grace." tie the songs that distance from the core concept of the album (Nature/Earth/Luxury) back to it. They're poetic and cleverly written, but the foundation of the songs are never the less boring, Immortal being about a fear of death and feeling of insignificance, (the end of the 'life' cycle in FROOT), and Savages being about criticizing our society. 

FROOT feels quite literally like a cycle -- despite Immortal being this legendary song which concludes everything, the war to end all wars, the preparation for death, Happy reemerges, preparing listeners for the legendary 'FROOT', where the cycle of life is complete and restarts. You can interpret FROOT in honestly so many different ways and that's why it's my favorite of Marinas.

Love + Fear lacks all of this. It feels like it doesn't have a core concept or idea and it has no damn idea what it wants to be lmao  :) But at least we have Hanmad Hevun and Da Riots in Amurica  :hooker:

quite unrelated but like has anyone else realized how much lana and marina's discography parallels or whatever

YES! Thought I was the only one.

MV.S/GMTM // LDR - The Erased

BTD // TFJ - Debut

UV // EH - Commercial peak

LFL/HM // FROOT - Their 'experimentation' eras. Some consider them both boring, but they both really test themselves in these. 

NFR // L+F - Ones I don't like

BTD // TFJ - Debut

LFL/HM // FROOT - Their 'experimentation' eras. Some consider them both boring, but they both really test themselves in these. 

this except LFL is next to LFL since they both fucking suck and NFR is equal to Marina's 5th solo

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

quite unrelated but like has anyone else realized how much lana and marina's discography parallels or whatever

I feel like this is true for every artist that has had a career before being properly famous

I haven’t listened to enough Lana to be able to tell but I can see the parallels

We're so accustomed to 'TFJ' being the beginning, 'EH' being this climax, and then 'FROOT' being the happy ending it makes no sense in the story. 

Yeah L+F's really the outlier  :rip:

2f8ef75f0956cb0cc3bb639baa9af09b.jpg

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

BTD // TFJ - Debut

Sorry but BTD was Lana’s commercial hit in terms of discovery.

TFJ - AKA

EH - BTD (also in terms of sound)

Froot - HM

L+F - LFL

giphy.gif

Sorry but BTD was Lana’s commercial hit in terms of discovery.

TFJ - AKA

EH - BTD (also in terms of sound)

Froot - HM

L+F - LFL

Marina received critical acclaim for TFJ, which is how she was able to record EH

Also EH is nowhere near BTD in terms of success so even if it’s her most successful album it doesn’t justify it

IMO their careers align better if you put AKA = MVS

MySpace demos/GMTM - Sirens

MVS - AKA

TFJ - BTD (debut)

EH - UV

FROOT - HM

LF - LFL

??? - NFR

I fucking HOPE she’s gonna give us a NFR but seeing how happy she is with that wreck of an album I highly doubt it’s gonna happen

EH the song is so bad

Why did she even bother?

I would kill for that song to be available on spotify in Sweden 

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

video games GIF

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy