Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Four videos in four months in the era immediately following her almost bankrupting her label? Who gives a FUCK if they match her album campaign or are to a certain visual/plot standard, the fact that we're getting anything in that department is a miracle. Otherwise the themes and visuals have been like really consistent so????

Themes sort of, visuals no???? None of the videos have been visually consistent, except for maybe Froot and I'm A Ruin because she's just looking pretty and moving around while absolutely nothing happens. Actually that's the only consistency in her videos, the fact that nothing happens. I'm not asking for a plot, I'm asking for some kind of thrill and some ups and down. E.g. Two Weeks video-- nothing really happens, but you can't look away.

I sound like a hater but I'm really not okay I love the songs that came out I just wish everything was tied together a little tighter.

Get it through your heads: Marina did not have NEARLY as much artistic freedom with her first two albums as with FROOT. The Marina you fell in love with on Electra Heart is not the true Marina...

Who could fall in love with /that/ Marina? I mean I guess I can see because of the whole forced concept thing. I'm kind of curious actually as to the sudden influx of fans during Electra Heart (trying really hard to not type Electry Hard every time)

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

Themes sort of, visuals no???? None of the videos have been visually consistent, except for maybe Froot and I'm A Ruin because she's just looking pretty and moving around while absolutely nothing happens. Actually that's the only consistency in her videos, the fact that nothing happens. I'm not asking for a plot, I'm asking for some kind of thrill and some ups and down. E.g. Two Weeks video-- nothing really happens, but you can't look away.

I sound like a hater but I'm really not okay I love the songs that came out I just wish everything was tied together a little tighter.

Who could fall in love with /that/ Marina? I mean I guess I can see because of the whole forced concept thing. I'm kind of curious actually as to the sudden influx of fans during Electra Heart (trying really hard to not type Electry Hard every time)

Yeah bro I said "otherwise," as in the still imagery not the vids, which we should just be grateful we're getting at all. But even the videos aren't like...pushing anything really disparate into the visual world of FROOT, they're nondescript enough to fit in even if they don't all have like...a slot machine of cartoon fruits like wtf do you guys want. Also Froot Happy and Immortal are all sparkly spacey and glamorous so I'm really missing the complaint here.

And EH has it's merits and could definitely attract fans you can stop with this relentless hipster stuff

but you like Taylor Swift....she's one of the most benign and uninteresting celebrities in mainstream music

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  i mean, sorry, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :

Edited by SitarHero
formatting!

lABVyGE.png

The video is one big, grandiose WTF.

In every way. Random, overacted, bad directed, bad cut... The underwater scene, the jellyfish? WTF???

i dont think it was random imo, it really fits the song. "i'm a ruin, yeah imma ruin you" - video is set by a volcano. red cape - symbolises blood and love. marina repeatedly covers her face with the veil - shamefulness. jellyfish are purple - she jumps into the water dressed in purple, suggesting she is "deadly" like jellyfish. 

also, was anyone else REALLY reminded of the Gunshot and I Follow Rivers videos by Lykke Li????

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Yeah bro I said "otherwise," as in the still imagery not the vids, which we should just be grateful we're getting at all. But even the videos aren't like...pushing anything really disparate into the visual world of FROOT, they're nondescript enough to fit in even if they don't all have like...a slot machine of cartoon fruits like wtf do you guys want. Also Froot Happy and Immortal are all sparkly spacey and glamorous so I'm really missing the complaint here.

And EH has it's merits and could definitely attract fans you can stop with this relentless hipster stuff

IDK man I get what you're saying but it's just not doing it well enough for me , I just don't really get how it all ties in, that's all. Maybe I just personally hated the Immortal video and that's why I'm being so harsh on the visuals.

I just realized Marina's put out a shit ton of music videos for each album, that's pretty interesting. She's been consistent in quantity and the ~slightly above average~ quality of them all though.

Also leave me alone to hate on Electra Heart. I'll admit to Lonely Hearts Club being one of her best songs though  :hooker:

I just realized with this era, how important the artist's happiness truly is to a project. It shows through. I don't care for elaborate videos and "matching" visuals. The fact that she's so proud and pleased with herself really makes everything enjoyable.

literally the worst song she's ever made :deadbanana:

in my opinion ofc

The wub wub wubs in the intro are awful but that chorus is A+ / Also I fully understand and accept your opinion / I feel like I'm in an art critique right now

I just realized with this era, how important the artist's happiness truly is to a project. It shows through. I don't care for elaborate videos and "matching" visuals. The fact that she's so proud and pleased with herself really makes everything enjoyable.

This is also important! She looks REALLY happy! This is how I feel about Ultraviolence though

This is also important! She looks REALLY happy! This is how I feel about Ultraviolence though

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm not gonna derail the thread to an LDR discussion, but the artist's attitude, whether an album is strong or not can really derail the potential of success for the era  :oopna:

Wtf "Lonely Hearts Club" is literally my favorite song she's ever made

mmmmm yesss, it's such a good song, and I'll never understand why it was a bonus track tbh

lABVyGE.png

i dont think it was random imo, it really fits the song. "i'm a ruin, yeah imma ruin you" - video is set by a volcano. red cape - symbolises blood and love. marina repeatedly covers her face with the veil - shamefulness. jellyfish are purple - she jumps into the water dressed in purple, suggesting she is "deadly" like jellyfish. 

also, was anyone else REALLY reminded of the Gunshot and I Follow Rivers videos by Lykke Li????

I kind of find these videos much more artistic, entertaining and meaningful. I could say the Froot era videos could be as pure and visually stunning (maybe not Happy and Immortal), but Lykke really has a rather creative and conceptual vision.

z445hpI.png

Wtf "Lonely Hearts Club" is literally my favorite song she's ever made

I seriously detest it. :toofunny:

I don't mind the melody to the chorus but I hate the lyrics and the way she sings them. I just think it's a really stupid and tacky (in a bad way) song. :flop:

14417469274.gif

I seriously detest it. :toofunny:

I don't mind the melody to the chorus but I hate the lyrics and the way she sings them. I just think it's a really stupid and tacky (in a bad way) song. :flop:

"Love will never be forever/ Feelings are just like the weather/ January to December/ Do you Wanna be a member?"

That shit's gonna be on my tombstone I love it so much lol :bop:

2dt29zc.jpg

"Love will never be forever/ Feelings are just like the weather/ January to December/ Do you Wanna be a member?"

That shit's gonna be on my tombstone I love it so much lol :bop:

LooOOoO0nE LEEEEe E EEe haARRRRTs clUHHHHB d0 you wAnt to BEEe with sumBUDY liKe MEEe ?

just yuck tbh :ohno:

14417469274.gif

I kind of find these videos much more artistic, entertaining and meaningful. I could say the Froot era videos could be as pure and visually stunning (maybe not Happy and Immortal), but Lykke really has a rather creative and conceptual vision.

Definitely, Lykke's videos tend to have much more symbolism and meaning to them than most music videos. On the surface, a lot of them seem kinda simple (I Follow Rivers), but they always have a very deep message to them. Her videos are a work of art themselves, even without the music.

Still, I do like the IAR vid!

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

WARNING: this is gonna be a long post...

I like Marina's music and her psychological underbelly as well, although I have to say that Lana fans have been nicer to me on the Internet and I listen to Lana a little bit more. To be honest, I have to catch up A LOT on this new era even though I've been listening to her for 2 1/2 years now. I was really bummed when I wasn't able to see Marina with Charli XCX before she boom clapped her way to the top back in May 2013. The San Diego show on April 18 is IDEAL for me but the whole presale thing isn't (I already brought this up on MarinaBoards but no one responded to me. I JUST joined go figure  :flutter:

My dad's birthday is the day after this show. It's the weekend right after my spring break, which is still manageable. I live about a half hour away from the venue. There's a parking garage next to the venue. There's also a secret entrance since there's a separate bar connected to the venue. And if I'm unable to get tickets, my friend, who's mom likes Marina, might be able to buy 2 extra tickets for my sister and I. And the tickets are $22.50!!!

My issues are this: There's no info on when the pre-sale ends. The North Park Observatory in San Diego can hold up to 1200. I know Marina's fans are hardcore, but does anyone have a prediction as to how fast these very special FROOT shows may sell out? I also heard they might only be for the hardcore fans according to Marina's FAQin HELL video? I have a Spanish presentation to make half an hour before the pre-sale on Friday morning, and then I have a test in my Government class half an hour after the pre-sale starts. I might have to bring my laptop to school, be the first student to do my Spanish presentation, go to the school library, connect to the Internet, and then just hope for the best. Has anyone ever bought concert tickets while at school? And what's the trick to pre-sales? 

100 days until I see Lana Del Rey...and 73 more days if I'm able to see Marina & the Diamonds!!!