Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

2 hours ago, DragonWhore said:

I know about the next album too :) 

the album has been out for 48 hours and ya'll are craving another power trip already :bye:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Candy Necklace gives me being drawn into a misty dark forest by a sliver of green light. When she arrives, she’s hypnotized by a man’s “candy necklaces” (which I take as an allusion for drugs). She begins to slur her words and become entranced and he joins in with her singing and takes her deeper into the forest, and eventually down to the depths of hell. Something about Jon’s voice just makes me picture the witch doctor guy from Princess and the Frog for some reason LOL. Then the following interlude is him celebrating finally capturing her and putting her under his spell. I just get such Coraline/ evil presence drawing in an innocent girl to meet her demise. 

4 minutes ago, jackritchiexo said:

omg i thought i was the only one cause i seen no one else talk about it i’m testy sure it’s the chords 

Yeah, I thought it from the first time I heard it. Princess And The Frog is my favorite Disney movie so the song is very nostalgic to me 

1 minute ago, Lum said:

has there been any new info on the candy necklace replacing another song rumor??? maybe there has and i missed in the past few days.

Not really. But I’m literally obsessed with the idea of a screaming outtake. I want it now 

2 minutes ago, How2Disappear said:

the black dahlia was strangled, no? could the necklace be marks on her neck from an abusive lover or a dangerous game in bed i wonder

She was like…cut in half and drained. It was bad. Idk how Lana is going to reference her😭

i really enjoy each song individually (with a few exceptions) and i like the concept and narrative of the album as a whole. even though it has different sounds and themes, it has a specific journey that makes sense (at least imo)

but tbh the only “issue” for me is that to actually manage to go through all these moods within like one hour i literally have to be in a psychotic vibe 

and that’s not healthy at all even tho it can kinda make me happy 

i just find myself listening to some songs of the album in a random order and that’s it 

and this is the order in which i like listening to it:

1. the grants 

2. ocean blvd 

3. a&w

4. judah smith interlude

5. sweet

6. candy necklace

7. jon batiste interlude

8. paris, texas 

9. fingertips 

10. kintsugi

11. grandfather

12. let the light in

13. margaret (skippable, could have been on blue banisters after cherry blossom)

14. fishtail 

15. peppers 

16. taco truck 

also imagine the serve if the jon batiste interlude was more polished and was merged into candy necklace as an outro… 

7 minutes ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

She was like…cut in half and drained. It was bad. Idk how Lana is going to reference her😭

what do you think the metaphor is of the candy necklace? i mean drugs could be the obvious one, but i feel like there's more to it

I never thought Lana would be able to beat NFR, but I think she's done it here. And it's weird to me because I feel like part of the reason NFR is so strong is that each song is so strong. But with this album, there are a lot of songs that have been kinda forgettable to me so far or not even my style of song I'd normally listen to on their own, but listening to them all together, the album just sounds so deeply touching, innovative, and complex in the best way possible. This might even become my favorite album of all time, and I haven't had that change since 2016. The only album that came close to changing that is NFR. I can't believe I've been so lucky to experience and follow an artist this brilliant during my lifetime. 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

my album ranking is probably going to be:

1. nfr!

2. honeymoon

3. ocean blvd 

4. ultraviolence (perhaps still third, quite hard to say)

5. blue banisters 

6. paradise

7. btd

9. lfl 

10. chemtrails 

19 minutes ago, How2Disappear said:

what do you think the metaphor is of the candy necklace? i mean drugs could be the obvious one, but i feel like there's more to it

i mean it's pretty but it's also inherently temporary... like ur gonna eat it, maybe that has something to do with the meaning?

.~~* i never meant to hurt you baby, it's so hard to be good, in this world where you do what you know you shouldn't *~~.

Someone said it the other day but I think candy necklaces symbolizes the “violet blue green red” pills her man takes. (Referencing cinnamon girl) and that’s why she references cinnamon on her teeth in candy necklaces. I think her starting the song with that reference is bringing the listener back to that story / moment she sang about before. 
 I think the dark element of the song is how she’s getting sucked in to the darkness of his addiction and his bad boy ways and his wildness. She’s obsessed but she knows it’s bringing her down.

omg i just freaked out cuz i thought that i remembered her wearing a candy necklace in the selfie pic that was the cover for rock candy sweet and the first three bb singles

but it's not it just looks kinda like one ):

.~~* i never meant to hurt you baby, it's so hard to be good, in this world where you do what you know you shouldn't *~~.