Surf Noir

Met Gala 2023 - "Karl Lagerfeld: A Line Of Beauty"

another full circle moment was nicole kidman's dress that she had worn in 2004 for a chanel nΒΊ5 commercial

Β 

the carpet color choice was really an awful idea, most of the pictures you can barely see the details on her dressΒ 

Β 

met-gala-all-the-looks-2023-Nicole-KidmaΒ 

Β 

Β 

omfg rodrigo santoro

1.jpgΒ  3.jpgΒ Β 2.jpgΒ 

1 hour ago, Wait For Life said:

When I think of Chanel.. THIS is what I think of

Β 

not whatever those boring af designs are

Exactly- the theme wasn’t boring- nobody cared to do any researchΒ :lmao:Β Karl’s 90s decade was great and he employed the best designers- Chanel from 2000 onward though is just very matronly.

2 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

The fact everyone came with modern Chanel or completely off brief when they could of pulled from his 90s Magnus decade is insane:

Β 

Photo-Nov-21-2022-1-42-47-PM.png

Β 

Β 

if i were a celebrity attending, i would've went in something like this, but a little more elevated since it's the met gala, it's shocking that nobody took inspiration from these looks because they're amazing

π“Žπ‘œπ“Š 𝒸𝒢𝓃 𝓀𝑒𝑒𝓅 π“Žπ‘œπ“Šπ“‡ π“‚π’Άπ“‡π’Ύπ“π“Žπ“ƒ 𝒢𝓃𝒹 π“Žπ‘œπ“Šπ“‡ π’Ώπ‘œπ’Άπ“ƒ π‘œπ’» 𝒢𝓇𝒸

π“Žπ‘œπ“Š 𝒸𝒢𝓃'𝓉 𝒻𝒾𝓃𝒹 π’Άπ“ƒπ‘œπ“‰π’½π‘’π“‡ π“Œπ‘œπ“‚π’Άπ“ƒ π’·π‘’π’»π‘œπ“‡π‘’ π‘œπ“‡ 𝒢𝒻𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒹𝒢𝓇𝓀

𝓉𝒽𝒢𝓃 π“‚π“Ž π’Έπ‘œπ“ƒπ‘’π“Ž π’Ύπ“ˆπ“π’Άπ“ƒπ’Ή π’·π’Άπ’·π“Ž

honestly I feel like maybe these 90s chanel runaway looks were too much of an obvious choice and that's why almost no one showed up in them?

dula peep did but she looked boring af even tho the dress is really pretty so in the end I feel like karma worked its way throughΒ and it's probablyΒ what karl deserves :smile3:Β 

1.jpgΒ  3.jpgΒ Β 2.jpgΒ 

πŸ’€πŸ’€

Β 

343985652-955812572229735-16685068558052

1.jpgΒ  3.jpgΒ Β 2.jpgΒ 

2 hours ago, prettywhenimhigh said:

honestly I feel like maybe these 90s chanel runaway looks were too much of an obvious choice and that's why almost no one showed up in them?

dula peep did but she looked boring af even tho the dress is really pretty so in the end I feel like karma worked its way throughΒ and it's probablyΒ what karl deserves :smile3:Β 

Dua looked terrible in that dress though- we’ve had the same lightingΒ for a few years now but guests insist on wearing white and which just makes people like Dua look extremely washed out- it just didn’t fit right on her at all.

I think she slayed.

Β 

sydneysweeneybarbiecoremetgala2023-e3e52

Β 

Sydney-Sweeney-attends-the-2023-Met-Gala

tbh haven’t read most of this thread but i saw a few people on the first few pages talk about how the met gala is stupid and elitist or whatever so i would suggest reading this like, 4 tweet thread.Β 

Β 

we have to deal with rich people anyways so might as well let them use their money to fund the preservation of art while also looking cuntyΒ 

3 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

Exactly- the theme wasn’t boring- nobody cared to do any researchΒ :lmao:Β Karl’s 90s decade was great and he employed the best designers- Chanel from 2000 onward though is just very matronly.

the thing is… i feel like if they all showed up in 90s chanel THAT would be a lack of research, because those are the looks that everyone knows and automatically thinks of. I’m sure these celebrities and designers did FAR more research (and simply have far more knowledge on the man)Β than most of us judging their looks

Β 

i enjoy that there was a bit of homage to that (dua, keke palmer, anne hathaway, jenna ortega, just to name a few)Β but also a lot of other aspects of karl’s career throughout the decades,Β even if it was… his catΒ 

Β 

heres a great thread that goes through his career and his designs throughout the years, i’m sure with a quick scroll through it, you can easily pinpoint β€œoh, that’s where that person on the carpet got their inspo!”

Β 

(also no i don’t like karl but it would be incorrect to dismiss his impact on fashion:bebe:)

Β 

17 hours ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

Suki and robert.. not rly understanding her outfit, did she think the theme was Coachella 2014

Β 

the-2023-met-gala-celebrating-karl-lager

i love suki and i thought the look was super cute, but definitely off-theme

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:ο½₯

14 minutes ago, brandon said:

tbh haven’t read most of this thread but i saw a few people talk about how the met gala is stupid and elitist or whatever so i would suggest reading this like, 4 tweet thread.Β 

Β 

we have to deal with rich people anyways so might as well let them use their money to fund the preservation of art while also looking cuntyΒ 

Β 

although the world has many issues which could be considered objectively more important, fashion is a huge staple of culture, history, and art, it's okay to value it and want to care for it's history, we honestly need to normalize letting people care about things even if they aren't objectively the most "important" compared to other things

π“Žπ‘œπ“Š 𝒸𝒢𝓃 𝓀𝑒𝑒𝓅 π“Žπ‘œπ“Šπ“‡ π“‚π’Άπ“‡π’Ύπ“π“Žπ“ƒ 𝒢𝓃𝒹 π“Žπ‘œπ“Šπ“‡ π’Ώπ‘œπ’Άπ“ƒ π‘œπ’» 𝒢𝓇𝒸

π“Žπ‘œπ“Š 𝒸𝒢𝓃'𝓉 𝒻𝒾𝓃𝒹 π’Άπ“ƒπ‘œπ“‰π’½π‘’π“‡ π“Œπ‘œπ“‚π’Άπ“ƒ π’·π‘’π’»π‘œπ“‡π‘’ π‘œπ“‡ 𝒢𝒻𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒹𝒢𝓇𝓀

𝓉𝒽𝒢𝓃 π“‚π“Ž π’Έπ‘œπ“ƒπ‘’π“Ž π’Ύπ“ˆπ“π’Άπ“ƒπ’Ή π’·π’Άπ’·π“Ž

17 hours ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

Suki and robert.. not rly understanding her outfit, did she think the theme was Coachella 2014

Β 

the-2023-met-gala-celebrating-karl-lager

pretty sure the inspo was something like the picture on the left!

3 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

not intending to sound ignorant, but the guy died 4 years ago. it seems strange to have a remembrance themed party years after that fact, lmao

Β 

Β 

and honestly it looks like plenty of celebrities didn't do their research eitherΒ :trisha:

32 minutes ago, brandon said:

the thing is… i feel like if they all showed up in 90s chanel THAT would be a lack of research, because those are the looks that everyone knows and automatically thinks of. I’m sure these celebrities and designers did FAR more research (and simply have far more knowledge on the man)Β than most of us judging their looks

Β 

i enjoy that there was a bit of homage to that (dua, keke palmer, anne hathaway, jenna ortega, just to name a few)Β but also a lot of other aspects of karl’s career throughout the decades,Β even if it was… his catΒ 

Β 

heres a great thread that goes through his career and his designs throughout the years, i’m sure with a quick scroll through it, you can easily pinpoint β€œoh, that’s where that person on the carpet got their inspo!”

Β 

(also no i don’t like karl but it would be incorrect to dismiss his impact on fashion:bebe:)

Β 

I gauge what you mean but some of these subtle references just weren’t very interesting- Doja was doing a cat in a Chanel like bodice which while interesting in theory just looked boring tbh.

Obviously he has worked with several companies but Chanel is what his most noteworthy achievement isΒ 

My favorites of the night were Anne Hathaway, Anok Yai, Halle Bailey, Dua Lipa, and Billie EilishΒ :wub:Β I also loved Jenna Ortega's look.Β The theme was a bit blah, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by this year's Met Gala, it was actually really difficult to pick a top five looks for me

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β imageproxy.jpg

1 hour ago, taco truck said:

i love suki and i thought the look was super cute, but definitely off-theme

I thought so too, but turns out this is a 2019 Fendi dress by Karl himself, so actually on-theme, just not very ''Chanel''.Β :blush3:

Best picture I could find:

Spoiler

fendi51549897175.jpg

Β