Sign in to follow this  
Louise

Adam Lambert covers West Coast to close American Idol

14 hours ago, jaesana said:

He's outstanding- been a fan for a while. I've always loved the texture in his voice

A true artist.

Do you appreciate a Lana cover which isn't Video Games or Blue Jeans?

The way people are referring to Lanas as a ballad and acting like it was never a rock song in the comments 💀 it’s literally got electric guitar everywhere and isn’t like a ballad at all- TF.

I get the idea but it just sounds so good in psychedelic rock/soft rock stylings.

I don’t know how to describe it but performance oriented singers (I mean this as in obsessed with the technicality of the singing), no matter how good their voices are, can butcher covers because the emotions are nowhere to be found? If that makes any sense…

38 minutes ago, lili said:

I don’t know how to describe it but performance oriented singers (I mean this as in obsessed with the technicality of the singing), no matter how good their voices are, can butcher covers because the emotions are nowhere to be found? If that makes any sense…

exactly!! this is why i cant stand people who are so classically trained that all they have is technical ability. no character, no emotion, nothing. just a technically “good” voice. 

Thinking about when this cover caused World War Lambert on Lanaboards

imageproxy.jpg

Appreciate your feedback! Likes to all. Maybe if I elaborate, you might view it different . . .

Adam Lambert's cover of West Coast is what I needed. A big name among singers interpreted a Lana Del Rey song that is NOT Video Games and mined the heavy metal potential out of it!

Driving heavy metal guitars - TWO - propel the song forward. Adam's arrangement he sings high on the "Oh baby Oh baby Oh baby I'm in love" instead of lower register Lana sings is an artistic choice to put his own spin on West Coast and turn up the drama! How about the artistry that went into this performance? The set? backdrop? Lighting? audio? I see TWO electric guitarists on stage, besides the bass player, plus three background singers. Television bands are usually good - this one is exceptional!

When it hits the news a band has done another cover of Video Games, I blank out. With Lana's catalog, it is boring to cover Video Games. Everybody's cover is lame. I remember the CHICKS covered it, and didn't attempt the high note on the final "is loving you."

Is there a thread here about live performances of Lana Del Rey songs?

He could have done the Eilish, Sia, Pink, or other songs he covered, so Lana's song was definitely a choice. Artists' nods to other artists far exceed any critics' nods to them, imo, so this must be considered great press for her. 

BTW-
The studio version is better with an instrumental outro (somewhat more UV-esque) and somewhat better respect for tempo contrasts between sections. 

10 hours ago, slang said:

He could have done the Eilish, Sia, Pink, or other songs he covered, so Lana's song was definitely a choice. Artists' nods to other artists far exceed any critics' nods to them, imo, so this must be considered great press for her.

Some Lambert fans are saying West Coast is their fav song on the album, High Drama.

10 hours ago, slang said:

BTW-
The studio version is better with an instrumental outro (somewhat more UV-esque) and somewhat better respect for tempo contrasts between sections.

Guess I'll have to purchase the mp3 on Amazon! Streaming is a foreign concept to me . . . From Lanaboards, it sounds like quality varies between and within the streaming sites as it does on youtube!

The song was shortened because it is tv. I thought it succeeded with the vocal flourish. I would have liked to experience this from the audience chairs! The audience went wild! They're supposed to constrain their yells on tv, but they couldn't help themselves!