Elle

Take Me Home, Country Roads (John Denver Cover) [SINGLE] - December 1st, 2023

21 hours ago, Crimson and Clover said:

I fully agree!! I’ve seen some people suggest Simon and Garfunkel, and I have always wanted her to cover Johnny Cash. It’s something I’m a bit more hesitant about now. It’s upsetting because I know she can do very good covers in a way that sounds unique to her (e.g The Other Woman, Once Upon a Dream, Season of the Witch, etc), this just sounds a bit lackluster to me 

21 hours ago, Crimson and Clover said:

I fully agree!! I’ve seen some people suggest Simon and Garfunkel, and I have always wanted her to cover Johnny Cash. It’s something I’m a bit more hesitant about now. It’s upsetting because I know she can do very good covers in a way that sounds unique to her (e.g The Other Woman, Once Upon a Dream, Season of the Witch, etc), this just sounds a bit lackluster to me 

As I see it, there's no use doing a cover of a genuine, certified classic, especially of an American radio classic, if you don't feel it and don't think you can bring something genuine and fresh to it. That's the whole problem with covers. Linda Ronstadt was the classic covers artist of the 70s and she brought it almost all the time, even into the 80s with her immaculate covers of The Moon's A Harsh Mistress and Anyone Who Had a Heart. Even the old 70s semi-schlock classic Wildfire by Michael Murphy, for example. If you're going to cover a song like that, you'd better be ready to bring it, to bring the magical emotion that makes the entire song, because comparisons are going to be immediate. The same is true of movies remakes, with recent failures-at-the-box-office like Ben-Hur and Westside Story. 

Simon & Garfunkel are top-drawer Americana, foolhearty  to attempt, as I see it. 

I'd like to see Lana cover Lilac Wine, but not if she doesn't relate to it or can't feel it. I find about half her covers flat, lackluster. Even Season of the Witch lacked the punch of the original for me, and there's so much brooding spookiness in that song. I don't think she understood the song. I didn't see much effort put into it, anymore than has gone into CRTMH. The sad thing about her CRTMH is that, with all the touring, Lana no doubt knows that feeling very very well—she as much said so in the new interview. 

As always, I'm happy for those who enjoy it and hear something different than I do. 

Thanks. 

The problem is the production, Piano just changes the song a bit and vibe. The original guitars and instruments were just gold.   It’s still good, but the original can’t really be touched, John Denver is always going to be superior. I fear Lana won’t be stopped until she’s turned every classic into a Piano lullaby.

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

So I'm glad TMHCR got out after Spotify Wrapped bc I listened to it 60 times in the space of 6h the day it got out. Most wanted song ever for me probably + I didn't knew about the release since I was taking a pause so imagine the depths of my joy :crai:

ZKcaooE.png

On 04/12/2023 at 15:47, ChaoticLipster said:

O problema é a produção, Piano só muda um pouco a música e a vibração. As guitarras e instrumentos originais eram simplesmente ouro. Ainda é bom, mas o original não pode ser tocado, John Denver sempre será superior. Temo que Lana não seja parada até transformar cada clássico em uma canção de ninar para piano.

YEEESS! until the end did someone talk about

On 12/1/2023 at 10:36 AM, Vertimus said:

It sounds rushed, stripped down, flat, basic. As others have said, where is the instrumentation that made the original seem and feel sincere and of its time and place? 

She's singing the lyrics a la the classic John Denver version, but she's not singing it as if she means it or has experienced what she's saying. Where's the sense of loss, the passion, the relief of finally getting back to the place that she feels she belongs? Compare it to Buddy's Rendezvous, for example.  

Funny how on OB she says, "the WAYYYY JOHN DENVER SINGSSS" and she's doing the opposite here, no passion. It seems to me that this would drive away potential fans rather than create new ones. 

I hope we get the Americana | Classics album and soon, but I hope the rest is a little more fully realized and heartfelt than this. 

I've been trying to figure out why the song isn't hitting for me despite me loving and being raised on John Denver and loving Lana and this is it.

It really does lack sincerity compared to the original.