Elle

Indio, CA @ Coachella: Weekend 1 - April 12th, 2024

Hope performance was so beautiful but I wish she was actually singing it. But I guess playing the vocal stem makes sense with the posthumous implication (and gives her time to change clothes :eyeroll3:)

51 minutes ago, BoardingSchool said:

Ugh, the "Jealous Girl" intro was one for the ages! Poor baby looked flawless but scared to death and kind of frozen for the first part...like the china doll of "Without You" in fact. I loved that the band played "West Coast" but...she didn't sing it. Instrumental and then backing vocals, with her back to the audience. :aw:

She seemed to visibly relax with Jon Batiste, though--that man is pure sunshine, just the most wonderful energy. I wondered what she was saying to him before the song; he was making a concerned sympathetic face like she was saying "I'm freaking out and the audio is fucked" or something. She was disturbingly convincing when she whispered "feeling super suicidal". :crying4: But she started singing more strongly and freely by the end of the song. And then she went for the pole!! :dance3: Their improv bit was SO GOOD and she seemed way happier then. They made it sound like "candy necklaces" were either drugs or something sexual, whew. It's all they ever wanted. :blush3:

When she said, "sometimes you need someone else's spirit to move with you", that was so real. She was happy after that and totally relaxed with Billie, and they were ADORABLE together! :wub:

Whew, what a rollercoaster. 

So glad I manifested candy necklaces!! I told you all!! 

Wow, okay, that was quite the experience. I was transfixed when she came in on the bike, she looked AMAZING, so glow-y and confident. Her makeup was stunning, the warm shades worked really well with her  hair and outfit. Hearing that little Jealous Girl intro got me hyped, and Without You always makes me cry, it was a beautiful one to start with. I’m glad she leaned into such an iconic song from the BTD era, it always makes me think of that perfect Amoeba Records performance from back in the day, and it felt like a cute little nod to the fans. 

Her entrance, the look, the dramatic set, the Billie and John collabs, the hologram…fucking brilliant. 

I do think she missed a few opportunities and obviously something was up with the sound last night. I was a little shook over how short West Coast ended up (yet we got Bartender in full lol?), the missing highs in Arcadia and The Grants among others felt a bit jarring, overall something felt a smidge off from the beginning if I’m being honest. I do have hopes that next weekend’s sound will be fixed, and while the setlist probably won’t change much, I hope we at least get CWIMM, SYTH, LTLI, or Venice Bitch thrown in. I really thought she would shake it up a little more for Coachella, but at the same time I admire that she does whatever the fuck she wants, and that she prioritizes comfort.

Can’t wait to go back and relive this show :’) 

Setlist aside- and I get that we at LB are a specialized audience- her nerves were nerving and it really affected her vocal performance, plus she didn’t sing much of the time- that is my only real gripe, and again can’t blame her bc how terrifying!! But I hope she gets some beta blockers and finds a way to step into her power next weekend bc we know from recent tour that she can deliver vocals and confidence.

aOaIzH2.gif

Lana, not Billie, is the voice of "our generation." So many people, late to the party, are just waking up to that fact, and even to her existence. Despite all the hardships, obstacles, and press attacks, Lana has persevered and had a truly admirable career. 

7 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:

Setlist aside- and I get that we at LB are a specialized audience- her nerves were nerving and it really affected her vocal performance, plus she didn’t sing much of the time- that is my only real gripe, and again can’t blame her bc how terrifying!! But I hope she gets some beta blockers and finds a way to step into her power next weekend bc we know from recent tour that she can deliver vocals and confidence.

I agree she was nervous, it was her first show of the year so only natural. I could see her voice improve during ride when she felt more at ease. She does amazing considering she’s shy anyway as she often says. I think the next show she’ll feel more comfortable. 

people on twitter are saying that there was no mic issues irl, let this better be true

Lana-Del-Rey-Burning-desire-gif-lana-del
I drive fast, wind in my hair, I push you to the limits 'cause I just don't care

9 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:

Agree. Was an incredible show besides the nerves with the singing. Next week it’ll be even better

1 minute ago, racecar said:

people on twitter are saying that there was no mic issues irl, let this better be true

I think that’s possibly the case. Peoples live videos sound really good sound wise so I think it might’ve just been the audio streams we were getting.

3 minutes ago, racecar said:

Seems like the person from the Guardian that reviewed her set was there and complained about the sound issues. They brought up that none of the guest or back up singers had this problem. Whatever it is they really need to get it fixed next week. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2024/apr/13/lana-del-rey-at-coachella-review-a-disappointingly-lifeless-start-to-the-festival

18 minutes ago, Embach said:

idk why so many of you are disappointed. ok i know that there were tech issues and the setlist was the same (but it has been the same for the last 5 years) but the show itself was so beautiful. lana herself looked so stunning. the entrance was fire as well!

Yeah I agree. She served!! The entrance?? Exit! Body face hair glow shoes outfits?? Omfg?? Why is there complaining? 
truly, that the only issue is is I felt her nerves and I didn’t like that she opted out of singing certain lines, but also there was some thing endearing about her nervousness that makes her the icon that she is. But I loved her set List. What did people expect? Pop songs and twerking?

5 hours ago, barttttender said:

Obviously, a crowd of that many doesn't know songs like The Grants, Bartender, Chemtrails, Candy Necklace, Arcadia, Hope and Burnt Norton - can you blame them???

She shot herself in the foot with the set list.

I bet you when Ocean Eyes came on - a song the crowd actually knows - everyone was relieved.

I still can't believe that she chose, like 500 songs people have literally never heard of.

But she also sang Summertime Sadness, Video Games, Young and Beautiful, Ride and the crowd was quieter than usual :smh:. idk about the US but in Europe these were huge hits and sometimes they still play them in radios. I just think she deserved a better crowd (like South American ones) 

13.04.2018 Rome - Lana wore my hat! 

Dying by the hand of a foreign man, Happily
Calling out my name in the summer rain, Ciao amore

3 minutes ago, LifeOnMars said:

Seems like the person from the Guardian that reviewed her set was there and complained about the sound issues. They brought up that none of the guest or back up singers had this problem. Whatever it is they really need to get it fixed next week. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2024/apr/13/lana-del-rey-at-coachella-review-a-disappointingly-lifeless-start-to-the-festival

Lana Del Rey Charts went off on Twitter because of that article :oprah5:

giphy.gif

7 minutes ago, LifeOnMars said:

lol the woman who wrote this article never wrote any other review and she’s an ugly bitch :adele: we do not care about her opinion