Americen Whore

96th Academy Awards - 2024 Oscar Nominations

9 minutes ago, That Venice Bitch said:

Disappointed in some places and extremely happy in others. Woke up early for these noms so maybe later I'll be more specific LOL

Yknow what let's just talk about it now :true:

- Haven't yet seen The Zone if Interest, Maestro, or Nyad. Not looking forward to watching the latter two and not thrilled they both showed up a bunch BUT I think The Zone of Interest is gonna blow me away (when I finally catch it!!)

- Past Lives, Oppenheimer, Poor Things, and Anatomy of a Fall are some of the absolute best of the year. Thrilled they all performed well

- Greta Lee and Teo Yoo deserved. Can't believe America Ferrera got in and Margot Robbie didn't. Andrew Scott deserved to upset. Nobody from May December!?!?!? And no Willem Dafoe!!?

- It's unfortunate that Gerwig didn't get in but Justine Triet was an extremely inspired nomination and was a great alternative choice

- Can't believe that fuckass song by Becky G got nominated for a fucking Oscar

- Thrilled for the movie Robot Dreams, I knew something was happening w that movie solely based on the fact they've been holding off releasing it for soooo long

- There was a huge snub in Best Documentary, with the amazing North Korean documentary Beyond Utopia. Shame it missed but I'm looking forward to watching the others

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.

Sandra Huller should've swept the Supporting Actress category this year but she's hardly been nominated :ohsnap: At least she's in for Anatomy of a Fall.

The Zone of Interest is easily the best film of the year in my opinion, glad to see Jonathan Glazer get a directing nom as well!

Overall lots of good nominees, with a few disappointments as usual.

12 minutes ago, DCooper said:

Sandra Huller should've swept the Supporting Actress category this year but she's hardly been nominated :ohsnap: At least she's in for Anatomy of a Fall.

The Zone of Interest is easily the best film of the year in my opinion, glad to see Jonathan Glazer get a directing nom as well!

Overall lots of good nominees, with a few disappointments as usual.

yeah i saw Zone a few days ago and it was one of the most visceral experiences i’ve ever had. everyone was speechless at the end.

IMG-7960.jpg

all my picks and also opinions :bored:

Spoiler

Best Actress

• Annette Bening, Nyad
• Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon
• Sandra Hüller, Anatomy of a Fall
• Carey Mulligan, Maestro
Emma Stone, Poor Things– Saw everything here except Nyad and Emma Stone absolutely DESTROYED. imo no one else comes close tho sandra huller would be my second pick here. lily gladstone was indeed incredible too. carey mulligan always slays but maestro was fucking bad.

Best Actor

• Bradley Cooper, Maestro
• Colman Domingo, Rustin
• Paul Giamatti, The Holdovers
• Cillian Murphy, Oppenheimer 
Jeffrey Wright, American Fiction– not seeing this until this weekend lol but i love him and didn't think paul g or bradley were so incredible, holdovers was only ok besides da'vine. cillian is always good but i literally walked out of oppenheimer, what a terrible corny boring ass movie.

Best Supporting Actor :

• Sterling K. Brown, American Fiction
• Robert Downey Jr., Oppenheimer
• Robert De Niro, Killers of the Flower Moon
• Ryan Gosling, Barbie
• Mark Ruffalo, Poor Things
– I would think either of these wins deserved, haven't seen american fiction yet tho. robert de niro...give me a fucking break, rdj too for that matter.

Best Supporting Actress

• Emily Blunt, Oppenheimer
• Danielle Brooks, The Color Purple
• America Ferrera, Barbie
• Jodie Foster, Nyad
• Da’Vine Joy Randolph, The Holdovers– would love to see either of these performances win but i think danielle brooks maybe is my fav, tho she is given way more to do w her script that da'vine (imo). emily blunt is always good but the long suffering wife is the corniest, stupidest part of all these big man biopics and this one was no diff.

Best Picture

• American Fiction
• Anatomy of a Fall
• Barbie
• The Holdovers
• Killers of the Flower Moon
• Maestro
• Oppenheimer
• Past Lives 
• Poor Things– i am obsessed so yea, i think it's perfect. haven't seen zone of interest yet, but to say it's a diff vibe would be the understatement of the year (i suspect it is incredible, i love jonathan glazer and the subject is obviously wild). i loved past lives and wouldn't be mad at it winning. if the holdovers, maestro or oppenheimer win this i will be so fucking mad.
• The Zone of Interest

Best Original Screenplay

• Anatomy of a Fall
• The Holdovers
• May December– both of these are so good but i am a todd haynes head and think the MD script was brilliant and funny and weird. wouldn't be mad at anatomy winning, also brilliant. 
• Maestro
• Past Lives

Best Original Song

• What Was I Made For? - Barbie 
• I’m Just Ken - Barbie  
• It Never Went Away - American Symphony 
• The Fire Inside - Flamin’ Hot
• Wahzhazhe - Killers of the Flower Moon

don't really care about any of these, only know the first two

Best Cinematography 

• El Conde
• Maestro
• Oppenheimer 
• Poor Things– no other choice, this is just GORGEOUSLY shot on film

Best Director

• Justine Triet, Anatomy of a Fall
• Jonathan Glazer, The Zone of Interest
• Yorgos Lanthimos, Poor Things– 
even tho i havent seen ZOI yet i would be pleased with all these wins, if either of the other two win i will be mad af.
• Christopher Nolan, Oppenheimer 
• Martin Scorsese, Killers of the Flower Moon

Original Score nominees:

• American Fiction
• Oppenheimer
• Poor Things– again no other choice, the soundtrack is unbelievable and so original
• Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Best Costume Design

• Barbie
• Killers Of The Flower Moon
• Napoleon
• Oppenheimer
• Poor Things– sorry but the satin ballgown with the latex ruffles...heaven, give me bella's wardrobe

Best Makeup & Hair

Golda
Maestro
Oppenheimer
Poor Things– obvs
Society Of The Snow

Best Adapted Screenplay

• American Fiction
• Barbie
• Oppenheimer
• Poor Things
• The Zone of Interest

would be happy with any of these besides oppenheimer winning, tho i am pulling for poor things or ZOI (i'd like to read the percival everett book AF is based on)

hope people really bring it to the red carpet this year, idk why they would but we need it

aOaIzH2.gif

Do voting members get free access to all the films released this year, bc otherwise I'm not surprised by the Killers of the Flower Moon snubs...I doubt Apple TV+ has many subscribers (espc outside of the months when The Morning Show is on). 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

3 minutes ago, Mer said:

Do voting members get free access to all the films released this year, bc otherwise I'm not surprised by the Killers of the Flower Moon snubs...I doubt Apple TV+ has many subscribers (espc outside of the months when The Morning Show is on). 

yes they all get free screeners

aOaIzH2.gif

5 minutes ago, That Venice Bitch said:

Speaking of, here is my collection of screeners :teehee:

OMG this is amazing! I recently learnt most of these are destroyed, so it's so cool you managed to get them :wub:

I thought I'd be bored af when I agreed to watch Nyad with my mum but I watched the entire thing

It's kinda unusual to find a (serious) movie about older women

Can't comment on the Oscar noms though because I haven't seen many of the other movies

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Sorry not sorry but Oppenheimer is going to sweep, easily the best movie of 2023. :point: It's scarily relevant today where the AI might overtake the world and where there are many huge wars right now with a huge risk for a nuclear war. It's like a wake-up call showing how far one man's actions could take us. It's little bit similar to what Lana tried to point out in Lust For Life. A cinematic masterpiece with an incredible cast, amazing visuals and beautiful score. That's coming from someone who had really really low expectations for the movie and thought that it would be boring and dull. I want the movie to win many awards, it would be cool if it wins like 11 or even more, so it would be the movie which has won the most Academy Awards with Titanic, Lord Of The Rings and Ben-Hur. I want it to win at least Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor and Best Score. Also I want Poor Things, Killers (also a movie very relevant today!) and Barbie to win some awards too, another great movies! I think there will be a lot bigger competition in the technical categories where many great movies are nominated! Also, Emma Stone and Lily Gladstone really deserve the Best Actress award, maybe it will be a tie but if either of them wins, I'll be happy, both deserve! It would be cool if Emma wins her second Oscar though, I love her, she's one of my favorites!

I was so surprised that Margot Robbie wasn't nominated for Best Actress and Greta Gerwig for Best Director. Her role as Barbie was amazing, even better than America Ferrera's (I was so surprised tgat she was nominated) and also Greta did a great job directing the movie. Perhaps the Academy didn't get the message of the movie, which is sad. Ryan deserved the nomination since his role was great too but it leaves a bitter taste in mouth after the Margot and Greta didn't get their nominations :bye3: I was surprised that Leo wasn't nominated as well but he wasn't my favorite, so yeah...And also I haven't seen May December yet but people seemed to be really surprised that Charles Melton wasn't nominated, so I assume he had a great role as well. ALSO DUA LIPA'S DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY WAS ROBBED!!!!! I personally loved that song more than What Was I Made For (which is also good!) and I'm Just Ken but I think that Billie and Finneas are going to win their second Oscar with that song!

I haven't seen Maestro but people are saying that it's an Oscar bait movie. Is it true? I've seen a clip of the movie where Carey Mulligan was there and her role seemed to be super great! Although, I've never been a big fan Bradley Cooper and I've seen some of his interviews where he's shading other actors by emphasizing tirelessly how he studied condructing for six years :eyeroll5: and all of that for a scene which allegedly lasts for 5 minutes!?

Oppenheimer and Ocean Blvd world domination - these are the ones which are going to dominate the 2024's award seasons in film and music industry respectively! :really: I wonder which one of those movies Lana has seen and which one is her favorite. Her friend Margaret Qualley was in Poor Things, so I assume she has seen that movie!

Alsooooo, when will the year come when Lana is going to win her first Oscar!?!?!? I need Lana to release an amazing original song for a movie, so she could have at least a nomination. When the Oscar nominees and winners are announced, I have flashbacks when Young & Beautiful wasn't nominated...she really deserved that nomination and the victory. Also 24 could've had a great shot if it was chosen as the James Bond track. 

Anyways, here's my two cents, long essay but I don't care!

url%5D

I’ve been pretty much out of the loop from movies for almost ten years now, TBH (proof of that: I thought the Oscar noms had already been announced :what:- I guess this is what happens when you have like ten ceremonies at the same time crowning pretty much the same persons over and over again). I’ve seen a couple of movies in the lists, but I prefer so much more series to movies now. 

TONIGHTTTT!!!!!! :dance: I've warmed up to almost all the movies in the categories now, so I'm happy with any sweeper! The toughest one will be the Best Actress category though!

url%5D

I'm so glad there seems to be different movies as frontrunners for different categories and we don't have sit thru a show where one single movie wins almost everything (like last year with Everything Everywhere All At Once)

On 1/23/2024 at 3:43 PM, TrashMagiq said:

the way I’ve only seen barbie and across the spider-verse :monicker: might do a little marathon to catch up,, who are we rooting for ladies?

ouuu I forgot I was gonna do a little marathon. How do I cram all em movies in 2 hours?

qfrWuBl.png

1 minute ago, TrashMagiq said:

ouuu I forgot I was gonna do a little marathon. How do I cram all em movies in 2 hours?

Take a bottle of adderall and do a split screen at 3.5x speed :)