Elle

Lasso - Pre-Release Thread: OUT September 2024

20 hours ago, Veinsineon said:

imagine we get a real house of the rising sun cover :oprah4:

You will need to check on me in the afterlife because my soul will ascend

616fd6f9f97232f6e74da18866f3cc83.gif

𝕴 𝖆𝖒 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖔𝖗𝖑𝖉 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖍𝖎𝖉𝖊𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖚𝖓𝖎𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖘𝖆𝖑 𝖘𝖊𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖙 𝖔𝖋 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖎𝖒𝖊

9 hours ago, aGlassShipThatCanFly said:

I’m saying this with love and light that Vogue interview was not rushed or on the fly in anyway. That was absolutely a preplanned interview approved by her and her team. Maybe it delayed the show but it wasn’t a last minute spur of the whim interview. That doesn’t happen with Vogue. This was her way of giving us a little update because the release date she promised back in february is looming. 

I didn't mean the interview wasn't planned, I just meant that if it did happen right before she went on stage her head may have been elsewhere and she rushed her answer. They also may have been late starting the interview, because a scheduled Vogue interview shouldn't delay a concert by half hour if it was planned properly lolol

She said southern gothic production idk what that means. As long as the aesthetic isn't gloomy and the lyrics aren't too heavy (which we know they aren't) it's fine by me, I'd really rather have a hillbilly country album with banjos and shit than something too gothic or religious :um3:

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚ if you can't stand the heat, then stay out of the fire, or you might get what you desire boy ˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

I know the literary genre of Southern Gothic (Poe, Ambrose Bierce, William Faukner, Flannery O'Connor, Tennessee Williams, Truman Capote, et al) , but not the musical, though I know the term has also been applied to films made from Southern Gothic novels, and then television programs. The term entered the mainstream in the 1970s-1980s. Songs like The House of the Rising Sun I associate more with pure American folk music, then made famous by the Animals, and also covered by Marianne Faithfull in the 1960s. 

Brett Detar's two relatively recent solo albums, Bird in a Tangle and especially Too Free To Live have strong SG themes and motifs, and Rayland Baxter released a grim song called  The Cold Easy Life Of A Loner, but I can't think of a lot of other Country or Americana artists that do.

Most 'Country' for the last 50 years has really been Country Pop, very repetitive in theme and sound, and typically upbeat in intention. Ho-hum. 

So it's hard to know what Lana's grasp of the term country means, especially in light of her past album descriptions, which have often been off. I know she said some or all of Honeymoon was inspired by "long drives around LA at night listening to Miles Davis," but I still don't hear any genuine jazz underpinnings on Honeymoon.

Buddy's Rendezvous did have jazz underpinnings or was outright jazz. 

I'm glad it's still called Lasso. If it's no longer a stab at Country, then the sky's the limit. As some have commented, that opening theme that was played sounded more like pre-NFR! Lana than post-.  

Maybe she meant lighter “personally” and maybe we’ll get more lyrics that are universally more relatable.. who knows! 

she’s never had “light” lyrics really.. so I don’t know what to possibly compare to.. maybe cola because it’s just a fun song, same as Venice bitch maybe 

like a dream, you glide on the water 

IMG-7034.gif

and like a star, I shine from the shore 

And maybe she means country rock more leaning in to songs like “hey hey, my my” and “simple man” as she used those as intros.. but mixed in with trap as she usually does as she used the intro jealous girl and the Fenway intro

topped off with RBFY/tropico/body electric! And all the songs seem to be rearranged in to a much more rock sound. 

If this is a sign of things to come.. I’m in my element honestly 

like a dream, you glide on the water 

IMG-7034.gif

and like a star, I shine from the shore 

11 minutes ago, Thats why they call me Dita said:

Maybe she meant lighter “personally” and maybe we’ll get more lyrics that are universally more relatable.. who knows! 

she’s never had “light” lyrics really.. so I don’t know what to possibly compare to.. maybe cola because it’s just a fun song, same as Venice bitch maybe 

this is exactly what she meant tbh 

Today, I listened to a Southern Gothic playlist curated by Spotify and it was so good! It made me even more excited for the album, all of the songs were different but they all shared the same vibe. It was so interesting to listen to it, some of them were really dark, somber and slow but some of the other songs seemed to be also light and upbeat. Or even dark and upbeat together! There's a lot of variety in Southern Gothic style in general, I can't wait to hear Lana's vision of it!

2.gif

26 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

I know she said some or all of Honeymoon was inspired by "long drives around LA at night listening to Miles Davis," but I still don't hear any genuine jazz underpinnings on Honeymoon.

I feel like she included a lot of jazz and blues *elements* into her typical Lana Del Rey sound. Honeymoon straight up sounds like it could be a torch song from the 40s. The title Music To Watch Boys To is a clear reference to the song Music To Watch Girls By, which isn’t a jazz song, but it is of that same era. Terrence Loves You is a straight blues ballad, complete with a wailing saxophone in the background. Art Deco brings a jazzy saxophone into the mix, as well. Religion just kinda feels jazzy in its melody and the lyrics feel very classic, along with Salvatore and the Blackest Day, in my opinion. She refrences “jazz and blues” on Salvatore. Obviously 24 sounds like a Bond theme, but specifically it sounds like the Bond themes of the 60s, which had heavy blues influence. Then there’s Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood, a jazz cover.

So I feel like while you’re right in that Honeymoon isn’t a straight up jazz album, to me, Honeymoon is Lana making the genres of jazz and blues bend to fit her unique sound. If she considers Lasso a country album, perhaps she’ll be bending the tropes of the country genre around to fit her sound, as well!

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, love deluxe said:

I feel like she included a lot of jazz and blues *elements* into her typical Lana Del Rey sound. Honeymoon straight up sounds like it could be a torch song from the 40s. The title Music To Watch Boys To is a clear reference to the song Music To Watch Girls By, which isn’t a jazz song, but it is of that same era. Terrence Loves You is a straight blues ballad, complete with a wailing saxophone in the background. Art Deco brings a jazzy saxophone into the mix, as well. Religion just kinda feels jazzy in its melody and the lyrics feel very classic, along with Salvatore and the Blackest Day, in my opinion. She refrences “jazz and blues” on Salvatore. Obviously 24 sounds like a Bond theme, but specifically it sounds like the Bond themes of the 60s, which had heavy blues influence. Then there’s Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood, a jazz cover.

So I feel like while you’re right in that Honeymoon isn’t a straight up jazz album, to me, Honeymoon is Lana making the genres of jazz and blues bend to fit her unique sound. If she considers Lasso a country album, perhaps she’ll be bending the tropes of the country genre around to fit her sound, as well!

I always associate HM (except the middle trap bangers) with Frank Sinatra's In The Wee Small Hours album. It's got that late hour haunting melancholia feel. Also, as you said, the title track sounds a lot like that era (I can see it fitting in the record I'm talking about too). Another album that, to me, is part of the family is Portishead's Dummy. 

22 minutes ago, Thats why they call me Dita said:

Henry, Come On didn't sound popish to my ears, though we don't know where the song is going after the snippet...but since she had Mason Ramsey and Stephen Sanchez as guests at her recent concert, and the songs they sang are definitely in the Pop or Country Pop vein---Sanchez's music doesn't sound like Country to me---maybe their appearances signaled a more pop-ish sound for the new record, and hasn't she said something to that effect about the lyrics? 

Experience has taught me that almost all musicians/songwriters have a Pop song in them, at least one outright Pop song--like Kate Bush's Rubberband Girl and Tori Amos's Bouncing Off Clouds. So maybe that's where she's heading and we're following. She's tried it a few times already, especially with Love, which I've grown to appreciate but not love. Also perhaps with Summertime Sadness

8 minutes ago, YourGirl666 said:

I always associate HM (except the middle trap bangers) with Frank Sinatra's In The Wee Small Hours album. It's got that late hour haunting melancholia feel. Also, as you said, the title track sounds a lot like that era (I can see it fitting in the record I'm talking about too). Another album that, to me, is part of the family is Portishead's Dummy. 

Honeymoon definitely has a bit of Portishead in there too, with the James Bond stuff as well as the blending of jazz and trip hop elements on songs like Art Deco. I would loveeee to hear Lana cover Sour Times by them!

giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, love deluxe said:

Yes, maybe, regarding Lasso. To me, Honeymoon sounds more like something with slight jazz-big band-torch song overtones and a jazz pastiche at best, which is fine. Because she mentioned Miles Davis and listened to him and other jazz artists while writing and recording it, I still hear a lot of people calling it either a jazz album or Lana's jazz album, and it isn't jazz of any kind. 

The Blackest Day is obviously the most indebted to Blues and Jazz, but more in theme and approach than musically. I thought the Paradise version of Yayo was much closer to a true torch song than the Honeymoon title track was, with its to me, tiresome two-word refrain.   

Since we're supposed to be discussing Lasso here, I won't go any further, but I agree, Lasso may only be Country in the broadest sense, like she said Ride was, to her mind, a country song--or could have been with a few presumably musical alterations. 

41 minutes ago, Embach said:

Today, I listened to a Southern Gothic playlist curated by Spotify and it was so good! It made me even more excited for the album, all of the songs were different but they all shared the same vibe. It was so interesting to listen to it, some of them were really dark, somber and slow but some of the other songs seemed to be also light and upbeat. Or even dark and upbeat together! There's a lot of variety in Southern Gothic style in general, I can't wait to hear Lana's vision of it!

here for a Hanging Tree cover :true: