shadesofblue

Kendrick Lamar vs Drake

For years, Kendrick Lamar and Drake have rivaled in the rap world. This week, their fight escalated after releasing multiple diss tracks. As two of some of the biggest names in recent rap history, tensions between them have been mounting since Drake's "First Person Shooter" in October 2023.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/drake-kendrick-lamar-beef-diss-track-616-b2540125.html

https://variety.com/2024/music/news/kendrick-lamar-drake-j-cole-beef-explained-1235951318/

Ā 

Timeline

10/6/23 - Drake ft. J Cole "First Person Shooter"

https://genius.com/Drake-first-person-shooter-lyrics

Spoiler

Cole lumped Lamar with himself and Drake as the ā€œbig threeā€:Ā 

Love when they argue the hardest MC

Is it K. Dot? Is it Aubrey? Or me?

We the big three, like we started a league.

Ā 

Ā 

3/22 - Metro Boomin releasesĀ "Like That (Ft. Kendrick)"

https://genius.com/Future-metro-boomin-and-kendrick-lamar-like-that-lyrics

Spoiler

Ah, yeah, huh, yeah, get up with me

Fuck sneak dissin', first-person shooter,

I hope they came with three switches

Motherfuck the big three, n****, it's just big me
N****, bum
What? I'm really like that
And your best work is a light pack
N****, Prince outlived Mike Jack'
N****, bum
'Fore all your dogs gettin' buried
That's a K with all these nines, he gon' see Pet Sematary (Yeah)
N****, bum

Ā 

Ā 

4/5 - J Cole releasesĀ "7 Minute Drill"

https://genius.com/J-cole-7-minute-drill-lyrics#about

Spoiler
  • response toĀ Kendrick Lamarā€™s disses onĀ ā€œLike That,ā€Ā which were aimed at Cole andĀ Drake.
  • Establishing this track asĀ ā€œa warning shot"Ā critiquesĀ "consistency and quality of Kendrickā€™s discography."
  • calls his last record "Mr. Morale" bad and his second "to pimp a Butterfly" boring

4/7Ā - J Cole apologizes for calling out on "7 Minute Drill".Ā 

Spoiler
  • Cole headlined his annual Dreamville Festival. He took time during his set to explain that he felt conflicted about making and releasing ā€œ7 Minute Drill,ā€ going on to call it ā€œthe lamest shit I ever did in my fucking life.ā€
  • During his speech, Cole refered to Lamarā€™s ā€œLike Thatā€ā€”the song that ignited the artistsā€™ recent feudā€”as a ā€œbazooka,ā€ and he wanted ā€œ7 Minute Drillā€ to be competitive and ā€œfriendly.ā€ Instead, Cole said, his song ā€œdonā€™t sit right with my spirit.ā€

(https://pitchfork.com/news/j-cole-removes-7-minute-drill-from-streaming-services/)

4/12 - J Cole removes "7 Minute Drill" from streaming services

Ā 

4/19 - Drake releasesĀ "Push Ups"

https://genius.com/Drake-push-ups-lyrics

Spoiler
  • reference to a viral 2023 video of Lamar doingĀ ā€œprison push-ups,ā€Ā while simultaneously addressing what Drake sees as a bunch of music industry subordinates attempting to ā€œpush upā€ to his level.
  • came for Lamar, rapping, ā€œHow the fuck you big steppinā€™ with a size-seven menā€™s on?ā€
  • referencing the title of Lamarā€™s 2022 album ā€œMr. Morale and the Big Steppers.ā€ (https://variety.com/2024/music/news/kendrick-lamar-drake-j-cole-beef-explained-1235951318/)

Ā 

Ā 

4/19 - Drake releasesĀ "Taylor Made Freestyle"

https://genius.com/Drake-taylor-made-freestyle-lyrics

Spoiler

ā€œWorld is watching this chess game, but oh you out of moves Dot

You know that the OG never fucking doubted you

But right now it seem like you posted up without a clue

Or what the fuck you ā€™bout to do.ā€Ā 

Ā 

• Second diss track from DrakeĀ in his beef with Kendrick Lamar, largely ignited through the latterā€™s verse onĀ FutureĀ &Ā Metro Boominā€™s March 2024 songĀ ā€œLike That.ā€
  • Drake prominently uses AI vocals of legendary West Coast rappersĀ 2PacĀ andĀ Snoop Dogg; given that the former has beenĀ mentionedĀ numerousĀ timesĀ by Lamar to be his greatest inspiration & role model

Ā 

• utilizing Kendrick's inspirations AI while rapping in an insulting & critical manner towards Lamar serves as a unique means for Drake to further convey his disrespect & contempt for him.Ā 
  • DrakeĀ praisesĀ Taylor Swift, whom he previously attributed a portion of Lamarā€™s mainstream success in the diss trackĀ ā€œPush Ups,ā€Ā after his featured verse on Swiftā€™s 2015 songĀ ā€œBad Bloodā€Ā provided Lamar his first Billboard number-one hit.
  • freestyle implies that Lamar is delaying his response to the ā€œPush Upsā€ due to Swift releasing her albumĀ The Tortured Poets Department.
  • due to lack of control over his own career, with lines like,

ā€œBut now we gotta wait a fuckinā€™ week ā€˜cause Taylor Swift is your new Top, and if you ā€˜bout to drop, she gotta approveā€

• comparing Swift to label CEOĀ Anthony ā€œTop Dawgā€ Tiffith, whom Drake regarded in ā€œPush Upsā€ as dominating Lamar throughĀ onerous music contractsĀ &Ā dictating his release scheduleā€”ā€œThis girl really ā€˜bout to make you act like you not in a feud; sheĀ tailor-madeĀ your schedule, you out of the loop.ā€ The title of the freestyle serves to reinforce this narrative.
  • Removes song from streaming after Tupac's estate threatens to take legal actionĀ 

Ā 

4/30 - Kendrick Lamar releases "euphoria"Ā 

https://genius.com/Kendrick-lamar-euphoria-lyrics

Spoiler
  • songā€™s title is a reference to HBOā€™sĀ Euphoria, the popular teen drama on which Drake is an executive producer.Ā (which has been) repeatedly criticizedĀ for its excessive sexualization of teenage girls, coinciding with the many rumors ofĀ Drakeā€™s odd relationships with young women.
  • (the song) touchesĀ on his public perception, appropriation of and disconnect from an authentic black cultural experience, behavior, psychology, mixed heritage, his parenting, lying, and more.

Ā 

Ā 

5/3 - Kendrick Lamar releases "6:16 in LA"Ā 

https://genius.com/Kendrick-lamar-6-16-in-la-lyrics

Spoiler
  • Uploaded to Instagram in the early hours on May 3, came for Drake and his OVO crew and featured production from Jack Antonoff.
  • Drake accused of keeping silent to avoid Taylor Swiftā€™s new album from taking the spotlight. Antonoff produced on that album, ā€œThe Tortured Poets Department,ā€ which shattered records in the wake of its release.

(https://variety.com/2024/music/news/kendrick-lamar-drake-j-cole-beef-explained-1235951318/)

Ā 

5/3 - Drake releases "Family Matters"

https://genius.com/Drake-family-matters-lyrics

Spoiler
  • response to Kendrick's "euphoria" and "6:16 in LA"
  • also disses artists: The Weeknd,Ā Rick Ross,Ā Metro Boomin,Ā A$AP Rocky.
  • Denies claims made by Kendrick, says Kendrick abuses his wife
    • so far no credible sources have yet to validate these claims)
    • Kendrick has addressed in his previous album how he wasn't alwaysĀ the best husband, not that he was an abuser

Ā 

5/3 - Kendrick Lamar releases "Meet the Grahams"

https://genius.com/Kendrick-lamar-meet-the-grahams-lyrics

Spoiler
  • sends a personal message to each member of the Graham familyĀ (Drake, both of his parents,Ā his son and alleged daughter)
  • most notable allegation is that Drake supposedly has an 11-year-old daughter and unspecified other children.
  • Other claims made by Kendrick include:
    • prescription drug addiction
    • comparing Drake to Harvey Weinstein
    • has sexual predators working for Drake's OVO sound
    • Drake is a "sexual deviant"
  • most notable allegation is that Drake supposedly has an 11-year-old daughter and unspecified other children.
    • (Drake denied claims on Instagram shortly after.)

Ā 

• Cover art Ā (taken down due to HIPPA rights)Ā displayedĀ items rumored to belong to Drake that wereĀ stolen from his fatherā€™s suitcase, according to a close source; namely,Ā DJ Akademiks. Among these items areĀ OzempicĀ andĀ ZolpidemĀ pills, as well as receipts of outrageous jewelry purchases.
  • These items are resting on a multi-colored button-up T-shirt depicting a cartoon dog urinating on a red fire hydrant. This might coincide with the name of Drakeā€™s October 2023 album,Ā For All The Dogs, which featuresĀ J. ColeĀ onĀ ā€œFirst Person Shooterā€Ā trading disses directed at K-Dot. Furthermore, this could be a subtle allusion toĀ longtime rumorsĀ thatĀ T.I.Ā let his friend urinate on Drake, according to a verse on October 2020ā€™sĀ ā€œWe Did It Bigā€:

So drunk in L.A., end up pissin' on Drake, shit
Fuck it, thatā€™s still my brother

Ā 

This is alluded to in theĀ first verse, when Kendrick address Drakeā€™s son, Adonis:

Never let a man piss on your leg, son
Either you die right there or pop that man in the head, son

Ā 

Ā 

5/4 - Kendrick Lamar releases "Not Like Us"

https://genius.com/Kendrick-lamar-not-like-us-lyrics

Spoiler
  • Kendrick avenges the West Coast for Drakeā€™s controversial use ofĀ 2PacĀ andĀ Snoop DoggA.I. vocals on his songĀ ā€œTaylor Made Freestyleā€
  • calling Drake a snitch and culture vulture, Kendrick doubles down onĀ prior allegations made against Drakeof sexual deviancy.Ā 
  • YouTube thumbnail features a Google Maps screenshot of Drakeā€™s mansion at Park Lane Circle in Toronto, Canada ā€œa Toronto oasis where celebrities love to build extremely lavish mansions.ā€
  • edited in a way that closely resembles the modern sex offender registry, which pinpoints the residency of a convicted offender, is continuing the thread of allegations made by Kendrick Lamar that Drake is a sexual predator.Ā 
  • insinuates that Drakeā€™s mansion, nicknamed ā€œThe Embassy,ā€ is a hub for illegal sexual activity.

Ā 

Ā 

5/5 - Drake releasesĀ "The Heart Part 6"

https://genius.com/Drake-the-heart-part-6-lyrics

Spoiler
  • song is in response to numerous accusations made by Kendrick, such as pedophilia
  • DrakeĀ claims Kendrick's wife had a child with another man that he is currently raising
  • DrakeĀ reveals that theĀ supposed existence of an 11-year-old daughterĀ that Kendrick suggested is a completely false hoax that was leaked to Kendrickā€™s team in hopes of baiting him to use it to his advantage.
  • Drake also addresses the allegations of pedophile-like behavior that Kendrick first described onĀ ā€œmeet the grahams,ā€Ā explicitly denying those claims and expressing absolute disgust.

Ā 

Ā 

5/7 Bodyguard at Drakeā€™s house gets shot

Ā 

TLDR:

Spoiler

- J Cole didn't want to get involved so be backed out right after getting involved

- Drake got messy and started coming after Kendrick

- Kendrick hates Drake *a lot* and has released a bunch of diss tracks; says he's a child predator, bad person, & liar

- Drake is nowĀ trying to now diss Kendrick while defending himself from claims made by Kendrick and has unverified claims Kendrick is an abuser

Ā 

If there's anything that should be corrected/clarified/added, feel free to share!

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

āŗ.āŠ¹ ą£Ŗ Ė– Ā š’øš’¶š“‰š’øš’½ š’¶ š“Œš’¶š“‹š‘’ š’¶š“ƒš’¹ š“‰š’¶š“€š‘’ š’¾š“ƒ š“‰š’½š‘’ š“ˆš“Œš‘’š‘’š“‰š“ƒš‘’š“ˆš“ˆĀ ā‚ŠĖš.ą¼„

this shit is so messy lol but not as entertaining as Nicki vs. Cardi / Lil Kim

@WHORE OF TROPICO Ā  ā‡Ø Ā  @SALVAWHOREĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā Pokemon Eevee GIF - Pokemon Eevee Flower - Discover & Share GIFsĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā evee-dancing.gif

Bring Me That Horizon ā€” ianime0: Pokemon XY | Eevee Dancing

Ā 

I was trying to figure out how this mess started. Kendrick's latest diss tracks were fire, though. Thanks for the thread

OIP.pWy7Ne77qWHp-pxlTlmFlgAAAA?rs=1&pid=

Ā 

this is so unfair for drake lmao i say it cause kendrick gotta be top 10 rappers oat and he has an album with preg emojis as the coverĀ 

and also for giving meĀ Margaret

43 minutes ago, JamesHomofield said:

I was trying to figure out how this mess started. Kendrick's latest diss tracks were fire, though. Thanks for the thread

Of course! I made this to better understand the situation for yall and myselfĀ because thereā€™s a lot going on. Thereā€™sĀ more context in each track, but this is just a summary.Ā 

Iā€™ll also addĀ Kendrick writes his own songs while Drake has a few ghostwriters (which Kendrick has also dissed Drake for lol). Makes it even crazier Kendrick is coming out with all these songs before Drake and his team of writers do.Ā 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

āŗ.āŠ¹ ą£Ŗ Ė– Ā š’øš’¶š“‰š’øš’½ š’¶ š“Œš’¶š“‹š‘’ š’¶š“ƒš’¹ š“‰š’¶š“€š‘’ š’¾š“ƒ š“‰š’½š‘’ š“ˆš“Œš‘’š‘’š“‰š“ƒš‘’š“ˆš“ˆĀ ā‚ŠĖš.ą¼„

me, personally, i just can't fathom why drake is so popular because his music is not goodĀ and he's definitely a strange individual so i'm going to side with kendrick lamar on this one :true:Ā even though i don't really listen to any of these artists lolĀ 

š“Žš‘œš“Š š’øš’¶š“ƒ š“€š‘’š‘’š“… š“Žš‘œš“Šš“‡ š“‚š’¶š“‡š’¾š“š“Žš“ƒ š’¶š“ƒš’¹ š“Žš‘œš“Šš“‡ š’暝‘œš’¶š“ƒ š‘œš’» š’¶š“‡š’ø

š“Žš‘œš“Š š’øš’¶š“ƒ'š“‰ š’»š’¾š“ƒš’¹ š’¶š“ƒš‘œš“‰š’½š‘’š“‡ š“Œš‘œš“‚š’¶š“ƒ š’·š‘’š’»š‘œš“‡š‘’ š‘œš“‡ š’¶š’»š“‰š‘’š“‡ š’¹š’¶š“‡š“€

š“‰š’½š’¶š“ƒ š“‚š“Ž š’øš‘œš“ƒš‘’š“Ž š’¾š“ˆš“š’¶š“ƒš’¹ š’·š’¶š’·š“Ž

Honestly idgaf I just want Drake and Kendrick to release good music from this beef which has happened. Kendrick made history with ā€˜meet the grahamsā€™ and Family Matters is one of drakes best in terms of rap cuz he is trying again bruh

59 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:

this is such adult baby behavior, these men need to let it go, literally who has this much time to be a hater??

The levelĀ of hateredĀ Kendrick has for Drake is on another level justĀ this line from euphoria aloneĀ :hillary:Ā As a fellow person who isnā€™t a fan of Drake,Ā I loveĀ itĀ 

Ā 

59 minutes ago, Divisive Princess said:

I've been praying on the downfall of Drake for so long with seemingly the world against me. This has been a great week for me

Ā 

Drake won : r/KendrickLamar

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, shadesofblue said:

Of course! I made this to better understand the situation for yall and myselfĀ because thereā€™s a lot going on. Thereā€™sĀ more context in each track, but this is just a summary.Ā 

Iā€™ll also addĀ Kendrick writes his own songs while Drake has a few ghostwriters (which Kendrick has also dissed Drake for lol). Makes it even crazier Kendrick is coming out with all these songs before Drake and his team of writers do.Ā 

guys don't kill me ok i think most people here are on kendrick's side but almost every artist has other people who write songs for them.

Someone on reddit sums this up pretty well (lol)

"

I think the one that caused the entire situation was R.I.C.O, when Meek Mill came out telling the world Drake had Quentin write that verse for him cuz he was hurt over some dumb shit. Then other stuff came out, and people started to write their own narratives around the situation. Plus the Drake hate didn't help, people just want to hate on him [...]. Now we're stuck with this idea that Drake can't even hold a pen when he's written for most rappers and given them some hits too lol"

Ā 

I listened to kendrick's song "euphoria" and it's not bad. It's just not for me. I personally prefer drake's voice

Ā 

52 minutes ago, ttulsa said:

guys don't kill me ok i think most people here are on kendrick's side but almost every artist has other people who write songs for them.

Someone on reddit sums this up pretty well (lol)

"

I think the one that caused the entire situation was R.I.C.O, when Meek Mill came out telling the world Drake had Quentin write that verse for him cuz he was hurt over some dumb shit. Then other stuff came out, and people started to write their own narratives around the situation. Plus the Drake hate didn't help, people just want to hate on him [...]. Now we're stuck with this idea that Drake can't even hold a pen when he's written for most rappers and given them some hits too lol"

Ā 

I listened to kendrick's song "euphoria" and it's not bad. It's just not for me. I personally prefer drake's voice

Ā 

HonestlyĀ I didn'tĀ really follow a lot of their beef until recently. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with having ghostwriters, Kendrick is just using that as another thing to diss him on.Ā Ā I do find itĀ impressive to see how Kendrick has been pumping out multiple 6minĀ songs before Drake can release a single. But everyone is allowed to like whoever they want! Iā€™m just not a fan of his music and not a fan of him as a person.Ā After hearing he was friends with Millie Bobbie brown and was texting her when she was a minor, it gave me sketchy vibes.Ā 
Kendrick may have used this as an opportunity to come after Drake, but this has gone past just them going at each other being petty. Thereā€™sĀ some serious allegations like pedophilia and abuse.

Idk much about these two but I read about this this morning because of the shooting and then I decided to read about Drake's house and he said all this stuff about how he wanted his house to show his success and all this other embarrassing "rich person" shit and after all that I think I'm team Kendrick

And that is my delightfully uninformed opinion and you're welcome

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

13 minutes ago, baddisease said:

oh no

Ā 

May be a graphic of 1 person and text that says 'CURRENTLY WAITING FOR PROOF, TAKE WITH GRAIN OF SALT UNTIL THEN @Drake News @Kendrick amar News Froman insider (waitin gonproof theform documents wil update enever recei ve XO pgLang(Kendick)andXO(theeeknd (the Weeknd), asked Music MusicGroup Group (UMG) end thebee beef with OVO(Dr Kend apparentlyi isn't udgingat all but UMG ispressin hardon beef. squash Zoom meeting thepart Kendrick want either directly pgl post statement DrakeisntappbophileiKendrickagr agrees Drakeisn akeisn'ta ophileif Kendr toendthebeef in Drake losing from UMG's perspective: hesooner that this beef ends, thebetter. the Thepe ophilia accusations directedat DrakearecostingUMG, Nike,andother narties"alntofmonev" parties ofmonev".'

Ā 

well, let's hope kendrick doesn't back down, especially since the allegations are about something so serious, boo-fucking-hoo if it's costing these large corporations lots of money, honestly

š“Žš‘œš“Š š’øš’¶š“ƒ š“€š‘’š‘’š“… š“Žš‘œš“Šš“‡ š“‚š’¶š“‡š’¾š“š“Žš“ƒ š’¶š“ƒš’¹ š“Žš‘œš“Šš“‡ š’暝‘œš’¶š“ƒ š‘œš’» š’¶š“‡š’ø

š“Žš‘œš“Š š’øš’¶š“ƒ'š“‰ š’»š’¾š“ƒš’¹ š’¶š“ƒš‘œš“‰š’½š‘’š“‡ š“Œš‘œš“‚š’¶š“ƒ š’·š‘’š’»š‘œš“‡š‘’ š‘œš“‡ š’¶š’»š“‰š‘’š“‡ š’¹š’¶š“‡š“€

š“‰š’½š’¶š“ƒ š“‚š“Ž š’øš‘œš“ƒš‘’š“Ž š’¾š“ˆš“š’¶š“ƒš’¹ š’·š’¶š’·š“Ž