rocknrollgroupie

Lana Del Rey and Quavo “Tough” - OUT NOW!

On 8/3/2024 at 2:59 AM, barttttender said:

but yeah, the way some people hype up songs like Fingertips, Flipside, or Interlude: the Trio, but slam Tough is insane

You generated so much bad karma with this statement

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95237ep20gi51lvjl437x

This is being sent to Pop radio soon. Her first in a long long time. Most of her releases were not sent to radio at all. And the ones they do sent are only to Alternative and Triple A radios, which barely have any audience.

https://x.com/usradioupdater/status/1818407775791464897?s=61

https://x.com/chartlana/status/1818410486703988906?s=61

Some stations have already started playing it before the adds date (impact date). That’s a good sign and probably why they’re sending it to Pop radio “soon”. KIIS-FM (the biggest Pop station/radio station in general in L.A.) has just started playing it this week. In fact, they played it twice yesterday: http://www.mediabase.com/whatsong/whatsong.asp?var_s=075073073083045070077&MONDTE=8%2F4%2F2024

9 minutes ago, Xenoblade 3 said:

This is being to sent to pop radio soon. Her first in a long long time.

https://x.com/usradioupdater/status/1818407775791464897?s=61

https://x.com/chartlana/status/1818410486703988906?s=61

Some stations have already started playing it before the adds date (impact date). That’s a good sign and probably why they’re sending it to pop radio “soon”. KIIS-FM (the biggest pop station/radio station in general in L.A.) has just started playing it this week. In fact, they played it twice yesterday: http://www.mediabase.com/whatsong/whatsong.asp?var_s=075073073083045070077&MONDTE=8%2F4%2F2024

It's already be played in the 4 biggest radio of France, like NRJ, Skyrock, cheri FM, hitwest and this multiple times a day. I heard it twice today, also saw the music video on TV 

˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ Last Boy on Earth °⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

52 minutes ago, ldrzodiac said:

I honestly don't see people's problem with Tough... but then I dislike literally 0 of Lana's songs so that's why

Same… Lana could literally release a track of her just breathing loudly into the mic and I’d be bumping it

Chemtrails Over The Country Club GIF by Lana Del Rey

On 8/6/2024 at 2:37 AM, honeymoon is alive said:

they should’ve sent this to the radios right when it was released, now the hype is kinda down but late is better than never i guess

Most songs don’t have instant ads unless there’s obvious payola and deals involved. Sending it early is very risky for labels esp if the song turned out to be a flop (Houdini, Woman’s World, etc.). Those songs had radio deals and day and date ads and flopped. Those songs were exposed to millions of people (due to the very high airplay during release week) and still tanked. The GP said no. They wasted money. Tough has yet to have that exposure. The labels clearly waited to get feedback whether or not they should send it. I think they got their answer as it will be pushed to radio soon. I don’t mean streaming performance here. Tough has done very well. If it were based on that alone, they would’ve sent it immediately the week it came out. I meant radio programmers and radio listeners feedback.

Also, what do you mean by “hype”? there’s no hype related for radio (sort of). As it doesn’t work that way. A song needs to be for radio or it is not. It can be a streaming hit and radio still wouldn’t play it if it’s not radio friendly. The reverse can happen too. A song can bomb on streaming and be carried by radio. It’s a different audience. The best case scenario is that it rises together with radio plays. 

Summertime Sadness was sent over a year after it came out. It was not #1 on iTunes or the most streamed songs anywhere when it initially came out. Mind you, L4na’s album had already been released. Video Games and Born To Die were the hits (WW btw, crickets on Billboard) not Summertime Sadness.

Radio is literally just a marketing tool to get music heard in hopes of getting sales back. That is literally what it is. About Damn Time charted on Spotify for one day and fell off :rip:. It didn’t return until over a month later after getting airplay. And it rose to #1 lol. Summertime Sadness didn’t start to rise until it was getting airplay. It rose from not charting to #6. Doin’ Time also didn’t chart until weeks later after it was #1 on Alt radios. The song came out and missed the Hot 100. Tough is already charting 4 weeks in with no airplay.

14 hours ago, grandpas glass said:

it's a bit late for radio play with Fly coming on Friday. I hope for Quavo's sake that it will become a bigger hit, but maybe Tough can benefit a bit from it too

I think it's a smart move personally. Tough had 3 weeks on Billboard. Having it appear on the radio now will ensure Week 4, possibly Week 5.

With all the waiting we've had with this single, it actually transpired that Lana's and Quavo's team knew what they were doing and have given us Lana's biggest hit this decade.

EDIT: This just in, Tough made it to week 4 on Billboard- https://www.billboard.com/artist/lana-del-rey/.

Again, that's the 5th longest charting song of her 12+ year career. Right after Summertime Remix, Y&B, Snow, and Angel. Most others have dropped after week 1 or 2, even Say Yes to Heaven only lasting 3.

So,  to all the Tough detractors, I hope you know appreciate just how well this song has done now? It's the 6th highest chart entry and the 5th longest chart entry for Lana, and maybe the only Lana song this decade we've heard on the radio that's not a Taylor collab.

Also, Tough outstreamed these songs officially on Spotify at spot 81.

* Tough
79,934,564 1,332,637
79,378,388 26,813
78,906,589 27,848
78,897,525 35,294
77,368,435 36,139
72,075,823 36,898

22 hours ago, Xenoblade 3 said:

Most songs don’t have instant ads unless there’s obvious payola and deals involved. Sending it early is very risky for labels esp if the song turned out to be a flop (Houdini, Woman’s World, etc.). Those songs had radio deals and day and date ads and flopped. Those songs were exposed to millions of people and tanked. The GP said no. They wasted money. Tough has yet to have that exposure. The labels clearly waited to get feedback whether or not they should send it. I think they got their answer as it will be pushed to radio soon. I don’t mean streaming performance here. Tough has done very well. If it were based on that alone, they would’ve sent it immediately the week it came out. I meant radio programmers and radio listeners feedback.

Also, what do you mean by “hype”? there’s no hype related for radio (sort of). As it doesn’t work that way. A song needs to be for radio or it is not. It can be a streaming hit and radio still wouldn’t play it if it’s not radio friendly. The reverse can happen too. A song can bomb on streaming and be carried by radio. It’s a different audience. The best case scenario is that it rises together with radio plays. 

Summertime Sadness was sent over a year after it came out. It was not #1 on iTunes or the most streamed songs anywhere when it initially came out. Mind you, L4na’s album had already been released. Video Games and Born To Die were the hits (WW btw, crickets on Billboard) not Summertime Sadness.

Radio is literally just a marketing tool to get music heard in hopes of getting sales back. That is literally what it is. About Damn Time charted on Spotify for one day and fell off. Checks were sent to radio until that sh!t sticks. It didn’t return until over a month later. And it rose to #1 lol. Summertime Sadness didn’t start to rise until it was getting airplay. It rose from not charting to #6. Doin’ Time also didn’t chart until weeks later after it was #1 on Alt radios. The song came out and missed the Hot 100. Tough is already charting 4 weeks in with no airplay.

The only voice of reason on this thread

added by ten stations this week, not bad! and fourth week on the hot 100 is pretty impressive for lana. here’s hoping it does well at radio and only rises from here! I could see them pushing it on multiple formats rather than only pop which would be fantastic.

2 hours ago, brandon said:

added by ten stations this week, not bad! and fourth week on the hot 100 is pretty impressive for lana. here’s hoping it does well at radio and only rises from here! I could see them pushing it on multiple formats rather than only pop which would be fantastic.

I heard 'Birds of a Feather' last week while walking around a supermarket.It would be fun to hear 'Tough' in the same circumstances.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png