Sign in to follow this  
Viva

Was the backlash a catapult for Lana's success?

I always wonder if Lana didn't tanked her SNL performance and got all that backlash she would become as famous as fast as she got. If her album would be that successful. The fact that the critics, specially in US, smashed her and her music made her really famous. Everyone that had internet at least heard about her. How many fans of today got to youtube to see the trainwreck factor and after hearing her music got out as fans? So many critics towards her authenticity, her lips, plastic surgery, her fathers money and so little actual critics about her music made her internationally famous. Since in most countries those things are quite irrelevant compared to US she got a international exposure that SNL would never give her since is basically a US show that not many people outside US care about. But the backlash in the other hand and all those twitts poking her, the critics about her lips, the mistery about the AKA album that really got lots of attention outside US. So do you think that the backlash was actually one of the things that made possible for her to be this successful? Do you think she would be were she is now career wise whithout it?

glgcDdT.gif

I've thought this many times. And we can never say for sure, but I do think her career and things in the past year or so would of been would of panned out differently if it wasn't for the controversy surrounding her early on. 

VyIsfwC.jpg

I've thought this many times. And we can never say for sure, but I do think her career and things in the past year or so would of been would of panned out differently if it wasn't for the controversy surrounding her early on. 

hOw differently @AB?? Better or worse? Just different? Less famous? Would she get even half the success?? More success? :flutter:  Not just the SNL presentation but all that came afterwards got her a lot of midia time. :teehee:

glgcDdT.gif

hOw differently @AB?? Better or worse? Just different? Less famous? Would she get even half the success?? More success? :flutter:  Not just the SNL presentation but all that came afterwards got her a lot of midia time. :teehee:

Maybe less famous- maybe she'd just be another star with a small fanbase. Maybe she'd still be big but there would be less controversy surrounding her. Then again, a lot of fans found out about her through the controversy and all the media time. What if video games wasn't as big? What if the media attention on Born to Die wasn't as big as it was? What if she never went to Boarding school? Like I said, you never can know for sure. But there's educated guesses. Who knows how things would of turned out. But I'm sure differently. 

VyIsfwC.jpg

I disagree. I've talked to people who are not Lana fans but don't dislike her and they have commented that her performance wasn't that good. I don't think her performance led to a greater success. I actually think that it would be about the same. 

Video Games on SNL was very average.

Blue Jeans sounded AWFUL.

Whatever the case, clearly it did SOMETHING because we had an album re-release and she had one of the highest selling albums of 2012. I've lost count of how many times people see SNL and then watch her OTHER live videos and say "oh, she can actually sing!".

Anyway, kudos to Lana for still uploading SNL on her channel, she had balls to do that.

I think that the backlash clearly "helped" her, not in terms of making her more successful, but making her more famous. Considering that she was performing at Saturday Night Live just a little after being discovered by the general public, I guess we could say that she was already gathering fans at the time, so all the talks about her lips and the performance just made her get found out by more people.

Video Games on SNL was very average.

Blue Jeans sounded AWFUL.

Whatever the case, clearly it did SOMETHING because we had an album re-release and she had one of the highest selling albums of 2012. I've lost count of how many times people see SNL and then watch her OTHER live videos and say "oh, she can actually sing!".

Anyway, kudos to Lana for still uploading SNL on her channel, she had balls to do that.

Yeah baby! But  Lana thinks she "looked beautiful and sang really well" . She said she thought was a good presentation.  I can't see someone looking at that mess and finding it good but anyway she liked. Maybe that's why she uploaded? I think inside she did that so people could also go to her chanel and check the other videos too.

glgcDdT.gif

^ I was actually just watching the performances that MermaidTrailerHeaven posted in the Vocal Range thread, listening to how pitchy she can be, and for the first time having the thought that maybe she's just really high when she performs. I've heard some of the best singers butcher their songs while high and/or really drunk. It's probably just a combination of nervousness and awkwardness though.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein