Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

I feel like a bad Lana stan because there's a lot of her music that I don't like. I'm obsessed with her and I love a lot of her songs more than anything else and I stalk her online like crazy but I'm not a fan of like half of her music.... whoops

C7EJSFg.gif

I've seen people bashing it because of it's lyrics haha 

I think the lyrics, even though they are more like something a Teen would sing, are definitly on par with all the "I'm a sad girl in love with bad boys" stuff everyone loves so much.

It's just another style, like Jealous Girl, Gogo Dancer or She's Not Me, but it's not really worse.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I think that the people who haven't really taken the time to listen to her May Jailer songs and just dismissed it as a 'snoozefest' are missing an important part of Lana. Those masterpieces are her roots tbh.

Breathing getting fast again
Now I'll start my worrying
When will I learn that there ain’t nothing I can do?
Jesus was a dying man
If he can't do it, no one can
When will you learn that we ain't nothing without you?

EotAQlJ.jpg

Honeymoon's a nice song, but it certainly doesn't seem like a step forward or "huge evolution" for Lana. It seems like more of the same persona she's actively cultivated since BTD - slow songs, lyrics about a bad boy, "cinematic." Sometimes I wish VG weren't the song that made Lana famous because it really locked her into that image. Most of the BTD demos weren't slow - just compare the incredible DP demo to the toned down final version. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that that's all Lana's gonna do from now on. It's gotten to the point where fans hoping for more upbeat songs are told off because Lana's "a sad person" and her music is "always gonna be slow." Brite Lites? Raise Me Up? Smarty? Queen of the Gas Station? Most of the BTD demos? Lana excels at doing upbeat music. The original VG demo was faster than the final version - Robopop were the ones who slowed it down to "a dirge" (their words). Lana's slow songs aren't more "authentic" or "her" - they're just what've made her popular. She has great uptempo and midtempo songs too, and wanting more of those doesn't make you a bad fan.

I also feel like a lot of people confuse the appearance of depth with the actual thing. Like Lana is a deeper artist because she writes slow songs and because she talks about metaphysics in her interviews. But if you listen to the lyrics... she's not writing about metaphysics. She's writing about love, bad boys, America, nostalgia, daddy, awkward drug references, sex, little red party dresses, the pale moonlight. That's not to say I think her lyrics are trash, because she manages to write about the same topic over and over and still make it pleasant to listen to. But I don't think she's more "intellectual" than her mainstream peers. She could go in that direction if she really wanted to, I think - Pawn Shop Blues is the song that really gives me that impression - but she seems pretty content where she is.

Big Bad Wolf isn't that bad. I mean, it's bad, but it's not worse than Delicious.

@ Her May Jailer stuff is so important because it's her before she tried to cultivate any sort of image, before she had any sort of fame, international or local. Lyrically and musically it's very distinct from the rest of her stuff. I think it's very honest stuff. She's not singing low to be "taken more seriously", she's not yet started writing about America and cocaine, and her production isn't overwhelming her. It's her and her guitar (and I think it is her playing on that record - she makes a mistake on one of the songs and she stops singing to catch up with it, which would be harder to do with a backup guitarist), without having to worry about being judged by the world.

Honeymoon's a nice song, but it certainly doesn't seem like a step forward or "huge evolution" for Lana. It seems like more of the same persona she's actively cultivated since BTD - slow songs, lyrics about a bad boy, "cinematic." Sometimes I wish VG weren't the song that made Lana famous because it really locked her into that image. Most of the BTD demos weren't slow - just compare the incredible DP demo to the toned down final version. Unfortunately, I get the feeling that that's all Lana's gonna do from now on. It's gotten to the point where fans hoping for more upbeat songs are told off because Lana's "a sad person" and her music is "always gonna be slow." Brite Lites? Raise Me Up? Smarty? Queen of the Gas Station? Most of the BTD demos? Lana excels at doing upbeat music. The original VG demo was faster than the final version - Robopop were the ones who slowed it down to "a dirge" (their words). Lana's slow songs aren't more "authentic" or "her" - they're just what've made her popular. She has great uptempo and midtempo songs too, and wanting more of those doesn't make you a bad fan.

I also feel like a lot of people confuse the appearance of depth with the actual thing. Like Lana is a deeper artist because she writes slow songs and because she talks about metaphysics in her interviews. But if you listen to the lyrics... she's not writing about metaphysics. She's writing about love, bad boys, America, nostalgia, daddy, awkward drug references, sex, little red party dresses, the pale moonlight. That's not to say I think her lyrics are trash, because she manages to write about the same topic over and over and still make it pleasant to listen to. But I don't think she's more "intellectual" than her mainstream peers. She could go in that direction if she really wanted to, I think - Pawn Shop Blues is the song that really gives me that impression - but she seems pretty content where she is.

Big Bad Wolf isn't that bad. I mean, it's bad, but it's not worse than Delicious.

@ Her May Jailer stuff is so important because it's her before she tried to cultivate any sort of image, before she had any sort of fame, international or local. Lyrically and musically it's very distinct from the rest of her stuff. I think it's very honest stuff. She's not singing low to be "taken more seriously", she's not yet started writing about America and cocaine, and her production isn't overwhelming her. It's her and her guitar (and I think it is her playing on that record - she makes a mistake on one of the songs and she stops singing to catch up with it, which would be harder to do with a backup guitarist), without having to worry about being judged by the world.

Nice post Valentino. Agree with most of this..expecially the illisions of depth from a song by someone. i have seen interviews with people, that show

a huge deep effective song, and the maker says, he/she was thinking about what to have for dinner when they wrote..lol.. and then the opposite to,

a callous, shallow lyrically sounding song, that can have deep undertones of all kinds of things going on under it, in the makers mind at the time..

i think alot of that comes from the listener. we all can listen to a song by someone, and some will see extreme depth, others will say nothing for them..

we all see what we want to see in a song i guess..thats why its fun when people can write in a way (like Lana does sometimes), where lyrically you can have

some real play on words/meanings..

I was watching a movie the other night, and could have sworn that Lana was doing the song for it. Blew me away, and i started sweating..lol..

I was thinking i'd post something great for all you guys/girls on here.. then googled it, and found it to be a song by a lady named

Agnes Obel.. then i read her bios and stuff, and was shocked to see her influences and thinking..(movies was- 'october gale' ..dont know the song name..)

then at a starbucks, and a background playlist song was on of some new song, thought the same thing.. blew me away, i asked them, and they checked the playlist

and said it was someone else (cant remember the name- think they got it wrong..but guess it obviously wasn't Lana..

there are quite many female artists out there sounding just like Lana. I usually can pick the differences (I have a very good ear for tonal/melodic whatever),

and like to think i can tell whom is who, but some of them really fool me with the similarity of voice. I'm starting to hear her voice everywhere. (and its not her)..kinda wierd..

:facepalm: :oic:

I really do not want Lana to ever collaborate with Kanye "My ego is bigger than Jupiter and maybe the universe" West...

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

@@Valentino

" Her May Jailer stuff is so important because it's her before she tried to cultivate any sort of image, before she had any sort of fame, international or local. Lyrically and musically it's very distinct from the rest of her stuff. I think it's very honest stuff. She's not singing low to be "taken more seriously", she's not yet started writing about America and cocaine, and her production isn't overwhelming her. It's her and her guitar (and I think it is her playing on that record - she makes a mistake on one of the songs and she stops singing to catch up with it, which would be harder to do with a backup guitarist), without having to worry about being judged by the world."

Wow, read this again, and makes alot of sense.. interestingly put.. i actually read some of this in interviews she did..

i wonder if the label/managers had alot to do with all that..