Sitar

Lorde

yaay! points to you for sharing your opinion respectfully (though it's terribly wrong) just kidding

What do you mean by developed lyrically though? I think I get what you're saying but I'm not sure. I feel like they're both entirely different lyricists so their lyrical content can't be compared (fairly, anyway). Lana is much more imagery and atmospheric in her lyrics than Lorde, who's lyrics I find much more intimate and emotional. That's not to say Lana's can't be like that too, because they sometimes absolutely are. But overall, that's how I'd generalize their released work's lyrics. Released being a key word because of course it'd be ridiculous to compare the lyrics of, say, So Legit, to something Lorde has written. Also I say released because Lorde doesn't have a very big collection of unreleased songs to use as a reference. 

Also.. (i don't agree with what you said but this for the sake of agreement) of course Lana would be more developed lyrically anyway. She's older and has gone through more, and very different, things in her life. 

And this is another matter of opinion, but Lorde doesn't need to have genuinely poetic intentions! I think the fact that Lana does have that sometimes ruins some of her songs for me, lyrically, because they turn out wayy too melodramatic because she wanted it to seem "poetic" you know? It feels like Lana tries too hard to reach a level of poeticism in her lyrics sometimes and that ends up ruining what could have been a good idea. Again, that's my opinion! Examples from me of overly done "poetic" songs by Lana... Y&B, Dark Paradise, Gods & Monsters..

The last thing again, of course, has to do with opinion, but it's discussion and I love it and I've been so inactive here for so long and haven't made a staple bitchy discussing HDB post so yeah here u go

"Lana is a genius. Lorde is 16." So what? I think that, for her age, Lorde is really talented and intelligent. Lana was 16 once too, you know, and just because she wasn't famous then doesn't mean the music she made around that time should or shouldn't be appreciated. Lorde just got there younger. 

wow thank you for this response. it's very non-emotional and honest and you seem to respect my opinions without criticizing them! thanks!

ok so first, i get what you're saying about some of lana's lyrics being over the top, but the way i view almost every song on born to die and paradise is that they are completely driven by the production, and lana's lyrics are just like a little layer of flowers on top of an actual work of art. it's easy for me to imagine her listening to the instrumental version of cola and then spontaneously "rapping" over the "beat" with poetry that doesn't even really make sense. it's all imagery and that's why i love poetry- it has form with no function. i hope this makes sense because it's hard to explain and i'm not as developed poetically like lana is (haha..............) basically i view her as a rapper in her released songs. i focus a lot more on the soundscape of american and the YEAHS in the background of diet mtn dew than i focus on the actual lyrics. literally the lyrics almost don't even make sense. these songs are more like sonic paintings than they are substantial functional stories.

however, her unreleased songs are much more song-like and can stand on their own as poems. methamphetamines is one of my absolute favorite poems of all time. the way i can explain this is that methamphetamines is a poem whereas black beauty is a story, but they are essentially the same subject- relationship deterioration due to drug use. in my opinion, all art can either be categorized as a poem, a story, or both. most of lana's songs are both, but some are only one or the other. video games is just perfect. it's just perfect production and lyrics. but when i want to listen to the poetry, i almost always choose the demo over the album version. actually i barely ever ever ever even listen to born to die or paradise, and i prefer the demos over the album versions. when i want to listen to the production, i'll listen to the album from start to finish and not even think about what the lyrics are. i almost view them more as like a flute in the background. her voice becomes an instrument in the released songs, where it is more of a tool in her acoustic and unreleased songs.

anyway. lorde is like a little babyyyy! she's as honest and expressive as possible, but her released songs are just not poems. they are stories. and good relatable pop stories. i just don't view lorde as an artist. her production allows me to take her seriously as a performer, but i'm sure when lana was 16 she wasn't as developed as she is now. the truth is just that 16 year olds really don't have much to say! lord needs to experience a little more life before she translates her life experience into a work of art.

does lorde have any unreleased songs? i haven't even

ok i'm literally listening to pure heroine right now and it's really not that bad so like i kind of digress but still lana>lorde

anyway. i haven't even looked up to see if lorde has any unreleased songs. i hear what you're saying about her still being able to be an artist at 16, but like when it comes to poetry, unfortunately most young people don't know anything. like i'm 19 and i'm a poet, as is anyone else who chooses to be one, and i do my best with making poems but they're just not good because i don't have enough experience in writing. it takes a while for people to develop their own style of poetry, and while i'm happy that lorde is like super famous and gonna be super successful now, i just think it's unfortunate that she only has the first 16 years of her life to go off of for inspiration. does this make sense at all? like, now her life is being famous, and maybe she can give her listeners some insight into fame, but she can't tell the story of TIWMUG because her sixteen year old life is apparently "boring compared to other people" and she called herself an internet kid because new zealand is not that culturally rich. i'm sure she's capable of amazing art, but so is anyone who commits themselves to creation.

User-FastFission-brain.gif       let's change our DNA

wow thank you for this response. it's very non-emotional and honest and you seem to respect my opinions without criticizing them! thanks!

ok so first, i get what you're saying about some of lana's lyrics being over the top, but the way i view almost every song on born to die and paradise is that they are completely driven by the production, and lana's lyrics are just like a little layer of flowers on top of an actual work of art. it's easy for me to imagine her listening to the instrumental version of cola and then spontaneously "rapping" over the "beat" with poetry that doesn't even really make sense. it's all imagery and that's why i love poetry- it has form with no function. i hope this makes sense because it's hard to explain and i'm not as developed poetically like lana is (haha..............) basically i view her as a rapper in her released songs. i focus a lot more on the soundscape of american and the YEAHS in the background of diet mtn dew than i focus on the actual lyrics. literally the lyrics almost don't even make sense. these songs are more like sonic paintings than they are substantial functional stories.

however, her unreleased songs are much more song-like and can stand on their own as poems. methamphetamines is one of my absolute favorite poems of all time. the way i can explain this is that methamphetamines is a poem whereas black beauty is a story, but they are essentially the same subject- relationship deterioration due to drug use. in my opinion, all art can either be categorized as a poem, a story, or both. most of lana's songs are both, but some are only one or the other. video games is just perfect. it's just perfect production and lyrics. but when i want to listen to the poetry, i almost always choose the demo over the album version. actually i barely ever ever ever even listen to born to die or paradise, and i prefer the demos over the album versions. when i want to listen to the production, i'll listen to the album from start to finish and not even think about what the lyrics are. i almost view them more as like a flute in the background. her voice becomes an instrument in the released songs, where it is more of a tool in her acoustic and unreleased songs.

anyway. lorde is like a little babyyyy! she's as honest and expressive as possible, but her released songs are just not poems. they are stories. and good relatable pop stories. i just don't view lorde as an artist. her production allows me to take her seriously as a performer, but i'm sure when lana was 16 she wasn't as developed as she is now. the truth is just that 16 year olds really don't have much to say! lord needs to experience a little more life before she translates her life experience into a work of art.

does lorde have any unreleased songs? i haven't even

ok i'm literally listening to pure heroine right now and it's really not that bad so like i kind of digress but still lana>lorde

anyway. i haven't even looked up to see if lorde has any unreleased songs. i hear what you're saying about her still being able to be an artist at 16, but like when it comes to poetry, unfortunately most young people don't know anything. like i'm 19 and i'm a poet, as is anyone else who chooses to be one, and i do my best with making poems but they're just not good because i don't have enough experience in writing. it takes a while for people to develop their own style of poetry, and while i'm happy that lorde is like super famous and gonna be super successful now, i just think it's unfortunate that she only has the first 16 years of her life to go off of for inspiration. does this make sense at all? like, now her life is being famous, and maybe she can give her listeners some insight into fame, but she can't tell the story of TIWMUG because her sixteen year old life is apparently "boring compared to other people" and she called herself an internet kid because new zealand is not that culturally rich. i'm sure she's capable of amazing art, but so is anyone who commits themselves to creation.

omg.. this is great. normally people think I'm being the complete opposite of non-emotional & respectful of their opinions. 

but yeah, i get what you're saying about Lana's music being the way it is. I honestly view her music like that too, her voice being a beautiful instrument. For Lorde's, her voice is more of the driving force of the music and that's a really different thing for me to have come across so I appreciate her music a lot! I've never known an artist who made such amazing melodies and harmonies etc. with just their voice. 

I love 400 Lux but "You bought my orange juice" when I first heard it I laughed and every time it comes up it makes me laugh ughhh

this is my favorite line in the song because Orange Juice is literally one of my favorite things to drink and i just 

14417469274.gif

this is my favorite line in the song because Orange Juice is literally one of my favorite things to drink and i just 

It's so unexpected! The way she sings it, the way it's produced, the echoing and the harmony and how it just came out of nowhere killed me...

And it makes me sad WHY DOESN'T ANYONE BUY ME ORANGE JUICE i just  :facepalm:

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

It's so unexpected! The way she sings it, the way it's produced, the echoing and the harmony and how it just came out of nowhere killed me...

aw bb i'll buy u orange juice we can share it o3o 

14417469274.gif

"Gimme

gimme

gimme

FRIED CHICKEN!!"

BUgY0NJCIAE7JWe.png

You guys are the reason why I hate most of Lana's fans. I swear to god if I see another one of your annoying ass posts in this thread.... smiley_roll.png Why can't y'all just stay the fuck away if you guys don't like Lorde? Leave her alone. You guys would flip your shit if someone talked about how fucking boring, sexually frustrated, self-absorbed and overhyped Lana is.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I would never said anything about her if she didn't attacked Lana. I don't like her music, just as I don't like for ex. Sky or other artists with threads on this site. I would never say something bad about another artist just because I don't like him/her.. But Lorde has come for Lana and this is LANABOARDS and not BORDEBOARDS so don't fuck with me

BORDEBOARDS :lmao:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I've got some lyric questions. Just correct me because I'm not really sure about these.

400 Lux:

Moses can drive from here (????)

I'm glad that we stopped kissing in the dark in the highway

Royals:

We're better(bigger?) than we've every dreamed

Ribs:

I will laugh until my ribs get tough/soft/???

Team:

I'll send the call out/The call I'll send

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

I don't agree with you but it's your opinion, I think Lorde is lyrically fucking amazing she's 16, only been writing for 4-5 years and is a real poet. Lana has always relied on anaphora and rhyming, that's as easy as flicking through a thesaurus to find words that fit with the meter; which makes Lana's writing cliché in terms of poetry. Whereas Lorde uses free verse, Walt Whitman was one of the pioneers of free verse and it was used by many of the great poets, particularly Allen Ginsberg. Lana has been writing for 10 years imagine what Lorde will produce in 10 years.

It seems that she's getting a hard time purely because she is 16 and really talented. I think the reason people are falling for her is because she's raw, real and honest how can you negatively judge someone particularly a 16 year old for being that.

Just like I’ve just said I can’t wait to see what she will come up in the future because her debut it’s a very enjoyable record and some of the songs really shows her potential. But I do not see her lyrics as raw and real – in a Fiona apple level – she seems to put too much effort into it. For example,  I remember an interview where she said she doesn’t like to make songs about relationships and that’s why she wrote the lyrics of the record in a way that you can’t really tell if it is for a friend or a boyfriend.  She is really self-awareness on how she wants to be portrayed and how her lyrics are meant to be seen, she has a very interesting critical perspective of youth and growing up but she does seem to be limited by it. Since you compared her with Lana, take for example Video Games lyrics “They say that the world was built for two/ Only worth living if somebody is loving you “...Lana does seem vulnerable and totally immersed by her lover and she doesn’t seem to be like “hm will people think I’m not a feminist because of this”? In the other hand Lorde gives me an impression she would ever write anything as honest as this even if she really felt this way by a guy. 

Just like I’ve just said I can’t wait to see what she will come up in the future because her debut it’s a very enjoyable record and some of the songs really shows her potential. But I do not see her lyrics as raw and real – in a Fiona apple level – she seems to put too much effort into it. For example,  I remember an interview where she said she doesn’t like to make songs about relationships and that’s why she wrote the lyrics of the record in a way that you can’t really tell if it is for a friend or a boyfriend.  She is really self-awareness on how she wants to be portrayed and how her lyrics are meant to be seen, she has a very interesting critical perspective of youth and growing up but she does seem to be limited by it. Since you compared her with Lana, take for example Video Games lyrics “They say that the world was built for two/ Only worth living if somebody is loving you “...Lana does seem vulnerable and totally immersed by her lover and she doesn’t seem to be like “hm will people think I’m not a feminist because of this”? In the other hand Lorde gives me an impression she would ever write anything as honest as this even if she really felt this way by a guy. 

what she actually said was: "But I think the way in which I assert myself as not being about that stuff is by writing about it in a way that’s a bit less obvious and less cloying. There are a couple songs on the record about relationship-y stuff, but I make sure to write about it in a way that you don’t know if it’s a friend or a relationship, because that’s something that’s personal to me"

I think you have completely misunderstood her and what she was saying, she didn't even mention the word boyfriend. It's clever writing she's being subjective in a complex way she's not spelling it out for you, instead she's using metaphors and sarcasm; because it is personal to her. She basically isn't giving it all away in a really simple story that has a start/end and that rhymes throughout; she's using free verse to tell an allegory. That doesn't mean she's not being honest but ...she is being a very clever writer, which is what I and clearly a lot of other people want to hear, I guess you're just not picking up on that!

Hi!. Ok, so since I am reading lots of comments about this girl, I am here to listen her songs. Anyone can give me a list about her songs? I would like to listen all of them. Thank you :)

So far what I've heard, I like it,  but I only listened 3 of her songs. 

2ikzg5s.png

I think you have completely misunderstood her and what she was saying, she didn't even mention the word boyfriend. It's clever writing she's being subjective in a complex way she's not spelling it out for you, instead she's using metaphors and sarcasm; because it is personal to her. She basically isn't giving it all away in a really simple story that has a start/end and that rhymes throughout; she's using free verse to tell an allegory. That doesn't mean she's not being honest but ...she is being a very clever writer, which is what I and clearly a lot of other people want to hear, I guess you're just not picking up on that!

bless this post :mariah: 

also i am here to say that 400 Lux is the most beautiful song in the world goodbye

14417469274.gif

Bitches comming fro Lorde because she doesn't like Lana... Grow a pear y'all. Lana won't give you a medal for defending her.

Now my thoughts on the album, I don't like it as a whole album, i like them as single songs, wich is bad tho...

but she likes Lana. They are coming for her because they are afraid she can negatively affect Lana´s success on alternative chart.

You are hyped up about Borde, is obvious, but I can easily take 4-5 Lana songs that are better lyrically then anything on Pure Shit. I hope she will stay local, hyped up by sexually frustrated Anglo-saxon teenagers who are thinking that her platitudes are something of deeper meaning. Royals is a mess lyrically, I didn't have the time to analyze the other songs, but basically there are no melodies just the tiresome beats over and over again. She obviously don't writes the music of her songs and please don't compare her to Lana which has written more than 100 songs (lyrics and melody) and this self-absorbed teenager maybe had written 10 lyrics so far. I hope she stays like Gotye of 2013. Lana>>>>>>>>>>>>>Borde

Oops I post restricted you bye

Okay so I don't think this has been posted, but I got Gaga's cover issue of Elle yesterday and Lorde had a beautiful page in it :legend:

LNux1PK.jpg

TY for posting the page number!

I've got some lyric questions. Just correct me because I'm not really sure about these.

400 Lux:

Moses can drive from here (????)

I'm glad that we stopped kissing in the dark in the highway

Royals:

We're better(bigger?) than we've every dreamed

Ribs:

I will laugh until my ribs get tough/soft/???

Team:

I'll send the call out/The call I'll send

There are official lyrics here.

So I saw Lorde last night.