Sitar

Lorde

I'm absolutely loving the way the comment section is ripping her to shreds

https://www.stereogum.com/2157457/lorde-solar-power-album-review/reviews/premature-evaluation/

"Mehhh her whole "I don't want to be the voice of a generation" would land harder if she didn't attempt to make an album that sounds like literally every other popstar making an album right now."

"It’s astounding how much her songwriting has regressed since her debut. I know it’s a cliché observation, but Pure Heroine was written by somebody wise beyond their years. I was lukewarm on the lyrical content of Melodrama because it’s full of songs for people who are EXACTLY 20-23, but it at least had the bombast to cover up that shortcoming."

"This whole minimalism thing has been done to death in the mainstream the last couple of years. Lorde's best when her sound is expansive, not when it's whittled down to its lowest common denominator elements."

3 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

"It’s astounding how much her songwriting has regressed since her debut. I know it’s a cliché observation, but Pure Heroine was written by somebody wise beyond their years. I was lukewarm on the lyrical content of Melodrama because it’s full of songs for people who are EXACTLY 20-23, but it at least had the bombast to cover up that shortcoming."

this one couldve been me from a multiverse :assad:

43 minutes ago, rightofjupiter said:

Ouf that review :/

Rolling a stone gave it a 3.5 on 5. They pretty much all agree that it’s unclear how satirical is Lorde at this point with this record. 

7 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

I'm absolutely loving the way the comment section is ripping her to shreds

https://www.stereogum.com/2157457/lorde-solar-power-album-review/reviews/premature-evaluation/

"Mehhh her whole "I don't want to be the voice of a generation" would land harder if she didn't attempt to make an album that sounds like literally every other popstar making an album right now."

"This whole minimalism thing has been done to death in the mainstream the last couple of years. Lorde's best when her sound is expansive, not when it's whittled down to its lowest common denominator elements."

Totally agree with the second part of this, even though I have yet to hear SP yet.

Just now, Rachel97 said:

Some of those reviews, yikes

It's not out for me yet, but I'll be lowering my expectations a little

Same for me. I honestly didn’t have much more expectations for SP than a good summer pop album, and I think it will fulfill that just fine. Lana remains my Supreme when it comes to female songwriting. (Melodrama was, to me, « accidental » in its « genius » lyricism)

2 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

Same for me. I honestly didn’t have much more expectations for SP than a good summer pop album, and I think it will fulfill that just fine. Lana remains my Supreme when it comes to female songwriting. (Melodrama was, to me, « accidental » in its « genius » lyricism)

this is kind of /off topic/ but you should listen to fiona apple if you're interested in top notch female lyricism

Wow.

This album, I feel already leagues better than Melodrama and idk if on par with PH but idk why people ain’t diggin’ it… 

Also FF instantly gave me The Mamas and the Papas meets the Beatles in the best way possible. 

This is definitely a summer album and while the timing of its release is odd… it makes those of us who hate the heat of summer withstand it graciously.

Also not to compare but since both albums came out the same year… while COTCC’s strengths are definitely STRONGER I like this album as a whole better. Idk tho, time will tell but I enjoyed my first listen already