Velvet Elvis

The M tattoo poll

138 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think Lanas "M" tattoo is for?

• Her gramma.
    • Mike Mizrahi

Lana has stated that its for her gramma but we all know she kina has a habbit o lying and contradicting herself in interviews, but we love her anyway.

Here's the January 2012 BBC article saying "Her left hand is tattooed with a capital letter 'M' for her grandmother, Madeleine [sic]".

But in a status update today, @ flagged this 2011 i-D Magazine interview where she said the 'M' stood for "Magic, 'cos I need it [laughs]".

I've always been skeptical of the grandmother explanation from day one. It always struck me as the kind of post hoc explanation someone might concoct for a tattoo they regret or for which they're embarrassed about the real original inspiration. That "Gramma" may be about her other grandmother and she once claimed it stood for "Magic" do nothing to lessen my skepticism that we're getting the real story here.

Like the OP, my pet theory had long been that it stood for Mike Mizrahi. Until I saw this:

HH1QpWM.jpg

This was briefly the avatar for the YouTube account that originally posted "Let My Hair Down". (Receipts here and here. Note: Alex DeLarge is not my real name.) This account apparently belongs to Adam Tagliamonte, a.k.a "Tags", from Lizzy Grant and the Phenomena. This suggests the stylized 'M' symbol may predate her relationship with Mizrahi. Unfortunately, Tags was not that helpful when I asked him some questions, including about the symbol's significance. Supposedly, those recording sessions that leaked back in January came from Tags. If whoever got those from him hasn't burned their bridges with him in the course of them leaking it'd be cool if they could try to ask him about this. Until then the magic 'M' remains a mystery...

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

M is actually for "Majic" that's why she said Magic.

and now u know who is K from "Part for K"

She knows that I will have huge role in her life.

The fact that when I started to talk I named my first toy "Lana" and it was dog.

Why dog? Because I used to RIDE dog with name Lana.

That dog was same colour as Lana's hair in RIDE video.

I was searching for that pic rn and it "mysteriously" disappeared from our box with pictures. Hmmm...

RIDE = first paradise single

PARADISE = Beyonce said in her movie that my country is PARADISE

Y'all better prepare :bye4:

tumblr_p0v8ex4Llk1raxa8qo1_540.jpg

wut?

M is actually for "Majic" that's why she said Magic.
and now u know who is K from "Part for K"

She knows that I will have huge role in her life.

The fact that when I started to talk I named my first toy "Lana" and it was dog.

Why dog? Because I used to RIDE dog with name Lana.

That dog was same colour as Lana's hair in RIDE video.
I was searching for that pic rn and it "mysteriously" disappeared from our box with pictures. Hmmm...

RIDE = first paradise single

PARADISE = Beyonce said in her movie that my country is PARADISE

Y'all better prepare :bye4:

I also don't think that the M tattoo is for her grandma. The other day I thought about this thread and the one post suggesting the M could also be a W. Personally I don't think it's a W, but this pic of Lana at the Wildwood Boardwalk, NJ, came to my mind.

https://imgur.com/P3s9zLQ

The big W in the background just caught my eye and how similar her tattoo, upside down, and the letter look - with the first tip of the W being big and round and the second being more sharp and pointy. I hope this makes sense to you, I'm tired and English is not my native language :toofunny:

I also don't think that the M tattoo is for her grandma. The other day I thought about this thread and the one post suggesting the M could also be a W. Personally I don't think it's a W, but this pic of Lana at the Wildwood Boardwalk, NJ, came to my mind.

https://imgur.com/P3s9zLQ

The big W in the background just caught my eye and how similar her tattoo, upside down, and the letter look - with the first edge of the W being big and round and the second being more sharp and pointy. I hope this makes sense to you, I'm tired and English is not my native language :toofunny:

:O

I have no idea if this is right, but this is a really intriguing theory. I'd never considered this before.

Anybody who keeps a good dated collection of early photos of her know when this tattoo first started showing up? She's got it in the pic of her and Chuck from the night of her 2008.09.20 Mercury Lounge show. Not sure if any of the pics are the right angle, but I don't see it in the pics from her Nublu show on 2007.09.25. However, that's nearly a year apart and we don't have any pics or vids from any shows in between. Nailing down about when she got it could help us assess which theories are most likely. For instance, the fact that she had it already for the Mercury show I think makes it unlikely that it was for Mizrahi. Mertens would remain a possibility however...

cc @@Trash Magic @HeadBitch

I like using Lanapedia but I have no idea if the dates and the relating photos are correct. If the fish tank photo shoot indeed did take place in November 2007, then she did not have the tattoo yet.

https://lanadelrey.fandom.com/wiki/2007/November

I checked out the same thing! :)

By May 23 2008, it looks like the tattoo is there!

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/lanadelrey/images/1/10/May_23_2008-3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20141229180320

o4qjp4j.png

Comment wont post when I quote you so annoying @evilentity

I have never taken the time to do this not sure I ever will LOL. Have always noted who she had stuff written on her hand there before the tattoo though like J.B. (which I think you connected would have been a Jeff Buckley ref.) and an infinity sign

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Anybody who keeps a good dated collection of early photos of her know when this tattoo first started showing up? She's got it in the pic of her and Chuck from the night of her 2008.09.20 Mercury Lounge show. Not sure if any of the pics are the right angle, but I don't see it in the pics from her Nublu show on 2007.09.25. However, that's nearly a year apart and we don't have any pics or vids from any shows in between. Nailing down about when she got it could help us assess which theories are most likely. For instance, the fact that she had it already for the Mercury show I think makes it unlikely that it was for Mizrahi. Mertens would remain a possibility however...

Wanted to bring this back up bc another thread reminded me of this - when I met Lana after her show in Wichita in November, one of the girls waiting out with me was celebrating her 18th birthday, and I was telling her the first thing I did when I was 18 (buy something off the television.) When Lana came out to meet everyone and came to our group, the birthday girl asked Lana if she remembered the first thing she did when she was 18 - she did, told us it was going up to Canada with friends to get her first legal drink (a glass of champagne) and said she got her first tattoo soon after & pointed to her M tattoo. (I really regret not asking what it meant in that moment, I didn’t even think about it until the conversation had already changed.) But based on that, that would’ve meant she got her tattoo in 2003, but it looks like photo evidence isn’t supporting that? & perhaps she mistook her 18th birthday for her 21st birthday regarding when she got her tattoo in her story to us, as getting it done for her 21st in 2006 would match to her claim in the interview you mentioned, but again, it doesn’t appear to be there in any photographs prior to 2008 x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS