Sign in to follow this  
naachoboy

Lana is in 10 Weird Musical Past Lives Of Famous Rock Stars

7. Lana Del Ray was a folkie Jewel sound-alike called May Jailer (2005-2006)

The songstress born as Elizabeth Woolridge Grant has gone through several incarnations on the way to super-stardom as Lana Del Rey. She famously released an EP Kill Kill in 2008 as Lizzy Grant (followed by a full length album in 2010), but in recent months tapes have surfaced that seem to be of her unreleased debut. Called Sirens, the all acoustic record was made under the name May Jailer. It’s pretty charming, and made even cooler by the fact that she wrote all of the titles herself.

Source: http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2013-08-23/10-weird-musical-past-lives/

Aw, that's so true though. Her earlier style was so Jewel. Her yearbook quote "And when you cry, I'll be right there telling you you were never anything less than beautiful" is a quote from Jewel's song "Angel Standing By"

It's kind of crazy how her style changed. I remember that quote (can't remember where) from one of her old friends where she said one day Lizzy was trying a folk/ almost Joni Mitchell sound and then the next thing she knew she had cut her hair short and had an entirely new sound/aesthetic.  And Emily Raw had subtitled a video of Lizzy on her Myspace with "In one year she's gone from folk ingenue to mod pinup. Can't wait to see where she'll take herself next."  I think it's cool to see that progression. I do wish she'd still play though

6485274821_f85d0aac36.jpg

filmstrip.jpg

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

And Emily Raw had subtitled a video of Lizzy on her Myspace with "In one year she's gone from folk ingenue to mod pinup. Can't wait to see where she'll take herself next."

Source for this amazing quote? :deadbanana: I'm doing a project on Lana (or ~the relevance of authenticity within the music industry~ but basically Lana) for school and this would be cute to include. :flutter:

rihKQ8M.gif

Source for this amazing quote? :deadbanana: I'm doing a project on Lana (or ~the relevance of authenticity within the music industry~ but basically Lana) for school and this would be cute to include. :flutter:

https://myspace.com/emilyrawlings/video/lizzy-grant/10811270

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.