Spin me 'round, kiss me in your Chevrolet
I love you more with each and everyday
Top down, gonna make a getaway, top down
You found me when I had lost my way
Foot down, we're going all the way, touchdown

(Make a getaway, top down)

You know what I want
Take me to the K-Mart, pick me up pink lip-gloss.
How you get so hot?
You're making me crazy, hoping you'll never stop.

You say that we were meant to be
We'll be together finally
Flying around and I'm finally free

I love you more with each and everyday
Top down, finally gonna get away, top down
You found me when I had lost my way
Foot down, now we're going all the way, touchdown

We're on our way (x4)

Why do I think too much?
You tell me not to worry because you're the boss
And you, you got a real good plan
My trouble's all over now because you're my man
You don't know what you've done to me
You're heavier than heavenly
Life on the run has set me free, me free now

We're on our way (x15)

(You tell me not to worry

Because you're the boss)

share any thoughts / feelings about this song! i guess there are really no rules? your personal interpretations from your own viewpoint and/or lana's viewpoint, how you felt about the song when you first heard it vs. how you feel about it now, colors / images that come to mind, favorite lines or production elements, would you fuck to it, sleep to it, beat to it, etc lmao 

those are just general topic ideas. i can come up with more and include my thoughts later but i need to study since i've already procrastinated like 79% of the day away 

also can someone include any details about the song that i am clueless about; producers, writer(s?) year, known demos, unknown demos, slated for release, number of videos available (2, i think -- although i can only seem to find one version) 

ZRBNill.jpg

For me this is a cute song for her boyfriend: "take me to the mall/ take me in your chevrolet"

Which bf is related to this song? 

Ooooh we can always bring in some Lanalysis

Chevrolet mention relates to either Jimmy or Mr. Campbell. If you think about this as a Lolita style road trip (for those who haven't read, Lolita and Humbert...go on a road trip), could easily be Mr. C.

This was one of the first non-BTD songs from Lana I'd ever heard and it always remind me of fiercely defending her to my friends because I played this song and they complained about how repetitive the ending is.

"On Our Way" is one of those songs that I sit back, play and just listen to despite whatever mood I'm in. It grows on me every single time I listen to it... (Dare I say it's one of her more underrated songs?) The guitar chords are so soothing and relaxing. The discrete drums and outro piano as well for that matter, but what I like the most is her experimental voice pitch changing throughout the song (most notable at ~1:25 "Take me to the K-Mart", ~1:32 "How? You get so hot?" and ~1:38 "You're making me crazy".) I also really like to lip sync the "Spin me round kiss me in your Chevrolet"- part because it's such a Lizzy G. thing to say :candy:

also can someone include any details about the song that i am clueless about; producers, writer(s?) year, known demos, unknown demos, slated for release, number of videos available (2, i think -- although i can only seem to find one version)

Mine is tagged 2010 with the producer Justin Parker. I have two versions of it; one being the final version of it I presume and one acoustic demo. Correct me if I'm wrong!

EQFO7rX.png

Yea it was on her SC labelled as with Justin Parker I think!

I always associate it with Never Let Me Go, I guess kinda being country-ish. I love listening to it while road tripping. It was also one of the first unreleased songs I heard, and I consider it like a capital unreleased song, if that makes sense? Like a must listen.

Yes! I have On Our Way as the first track of an EP and Never Let Me Go and I Don't Wanna Go comes after.

Yeah! Can someone touch on what it is exactly that makes all three similar ~sonically~? I'm not sure how to articulate it

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

One of my fave BTD era non album tracks. The video is also so cute. Probably my favorite. This is always associated with Kinda Outta Luck, YCBTB, HDB + National Anthem (Nexus) cause when I first got into Lana it made up an EP that I made. Think I even made a physical version ahaha.

I looooveee the way she sings the chorus. It always gets stuck in my head.

I think I appreciate more than I did when I first heard it, mostly because now we have an idea of what / who she's talking about.

omg its funny that this is the song of the week because my friend just texted me "on our way is my new favorite song I can't stop listening" :)

the song and the music video are both so cute its one of my favorites (i hope i remembered to put it on my top 20 list). Also it reminds me of 1949 for some reason? like the lyrics and the theme

tumblr_n44ko1s3Pk1rkudelo1_400.gif

Yeah! Can someone touch on what it is exactly that makes all three similar ~sonically~? I'm not sure how to articulate it

I remembering touching on this way back on ldr.fm! Wow. Well, I tend to group On Our Way and NLMG because both are more organic instrumentally and hopeful love songs. OOW reads more as an anthem so NLMG kind of acts as the more subdued other side of the coin. The more songs that leaked caused me to separate the two in my fanmade albums, though. I ended up placing OOW with happier counterparts and keeping NLMG with sadcore songs--perhaps because it seems a lot more fragile.

i definitely thought of never let me go when i listened to this song but this one does seem happier. i feel like this song is about a more stable relationship where they're having fun and it's light and happy whereas nlmg deals with a less stable relationship where she needs confirmation that he'll stay with her. oow seems more like they were in a rougher place before but now they're good and happy, compared to nlmg where she's worried things could be going downhill. but i love the instrumental of both songs a lot

For me, this song represents the feelings of a new love, and how it can bring happiness+ hope for good things to come

It reminds me of summer time when I was just getting to know my boyfriend, and he would always drive and I controlled the radio 8)

Like @@Rafael, I like the way she uses different intonations for various lyrics, like in "How'd you get so hot?" to make it sound more flirtatious/loving

My favorite line is "You tell me not to worry because you're the boss" I like the way its repeated in the video.. the "heavier than heavenly" line doesn't resonate with me as much as it used to, now that I know where that saying comes from ;p

Also, I feel like this is one of her more innocent songs. Typically- even in her nicest love songs- there is a twisted element to it. I.e. "Never Let Me Go"- I can be your Nancy, you can be my Sid, "I Don't Wanna Go" - "Loving you isn't right" "It's original sin"  In "On Our Way", however, even though she's telling the guy that he's the boss, there doesn't seem to be any signs of an unstable relationship. She's saying WE're on our way ~as in they're going together~ instead of pleading for the guy to stay with her (or leave with her- i.e. Teenage Wasteland/ Lucky Ones, etc)/ lamenting the fact that her man has left her, which I think are common themes in LDR songs. (BUT this song also makes me think of EMGHW~ EMGHW being OOW's darker sibling song.. like the road trip that started in On Our Way turned bad)

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

ok so the first time i heard this was on the 'god bless america' mixtape and i fucking hated it. i was like what is this softcore country shit? something about the production was cheesy to me and i probably listened to it like 4-5 times max. then i discovered lanaboards a little bit later and found out there was an acoustic demo, which was the version i almost immediately fell in love with. i was actually able to listen to the lyrics and realize how beautiful the song is in itself. the core melody feels a bit more melancholy with just her voice and the guitar i suppose? 

a while back i uploaded the acoustic demo to youtube, and the content ID match came up as "heavier than heavenly" -- so i guess that was the demo title? that part of the song used to be my favorite too until i realized she didn't come up with it on her own  =((((((( 

also ... i've always found this video to be particularly strange. like this is one of her more ~lighthearted songs but the video is actually darker than most of her others. like why did she include all those creepy surrealist films? particularly this one: 

there's almost a jailhouse vibe to it. i dunno if the guy in the video just embodies the typical ~bad boi or if there was some kind of darker, or more meaningful intent. does anyone know when she made this video, btw? her lips already look huge and there's chateau marmont footage in it that she apparently had shot specifically for video games so the timeline surrounding this is kind of strange to me too 

i haven't really read through lanalysis, but isn't it speculated that one of her exes (K?) is / was in prison? so maybe this song is about them ~running from the law or something? more of a bonnie & clyde thing, rather than just an innocent little roadtrip 

"top down, gonna make a getaway"
"we'll be together finally" (maybe she broke him out or something lmao) 
"you tell me not to worry"
"you got a real good plan"
"life on the run has set me free" 

is the song about some kind of illicit escape then? "on our way" sounds a lot like "we made it out to the other side" or like one of the other 700 vague allusions to "paradise" or some otherworld / afterlife. are they related in any way? maybe she's ~on her way~ to having an actual life with her inmate ex or smth (?)

ZRBNill.jpg

i love it so much actually. its somebody whos really close to me's favorite lana song so this song reminds me of them and it makes me happy :flutter: i always think lana mixes in some "true events" in her songs, "you say we're gonna run away" imo sounds like something an ex of hers (thinking something along the lines of highschool boyfi so mr c?) would say to her. 

i am not very familiar with lanas videos so this thing will be fab because then id like finally watch the videos for the songs lol

tumblr_mfdm68imF11rr0s0uo1_500.png

I like this song of the week idea! :D So cool to discuss some great songs individually.

I think OOW has a great intro and outro, her tone in the last moments, when she says: "You told me not to worry, because you're the boss" just sounds so fragile and regretful, as if she really messed something up. That part reminds me of Your Band Is All The Rage, because she does that in that song too, when she goes like: I love youuu.....it's so beautiful and sad at the same time.

I once listened to this while on the bus and it was raining outside and it was all so sad and calm a true sadcore moment. :sadcore: 

This is one of her songs which is great for setting a calm mood, like Yayo or Oh Say Can You See, and Black Beauty

Thanks to the thread I've rediscovered this song. Well, not exactly the song (I play it quite often on my mp3 player) but the video, actually I've never watched it before. Never tired of watching beautiful Lizzy :heart:

lizzy4_zpsf8f99c65.gif?t=1388408094

The lyrics... Well, if Lorde knew this song, she might call it the most "anti-feministic" Lana song:

Why do I think too much?
You tell me not to worry because you're the boss
And you, you got a real good plan
My trouble's all over now because you're my man

:judgingu2: OK, I'm stopping to hammer that point of view. But being serious now, to be honest I personally dislike these lyrics a bit. Don't know why but somehow they bother me more than "You Can Be The Boss" D:

The rest of "On Our Way" lyrics is finest.

And the wind I know it’s cold

I like this song of the week idea! :D So cool to discuss some great songs individually.

I think OOW has a great intro and outro, her tone in the last moments, when she says: "You told me not to worry, because you're the boss" just sounds so fragile and regretful, as if she really messed something up. That part reminds me of Your Band Is All The Rage, because she does that in that song too, when she goes like: I love youuu.....it's so beautiful and sad at the same time.

I once listened to this while on the bus and it was raining outside and it was all so sad and calm a true sadcore moment. :sadcore:

This is one of her songs which is great for setting a calm mood, like Yayo or Oh Say Can You See, and Black Beauty

this is making me rethink my previous comment -- i don't think the relationship in this song is as happy and stable as i thought before. i kind of overlooked the whole "you're the boss" thing. it really does sound regretful when she says it at the end. if it weren't for that one line, this song would seem more like a carefree and happy love song. the way she sings "because you're the boss" at the very end makes me feel like it's almost a cry for help, like everyone thinks they're so happy and in love but secretly she wants out. i could be overthinking it like maybe it is just a line but that's what i was kind of getting from it after listening again.

I just listened to On Our Way several times and I simply love it. It reminds me of long hot summer nights. You wear no make up and your hair is wavy and sun-touched. You still wear a bikini under your clothes and your skin is brown and shimmering. You spend a lot of time with your boyfriend driving around in his Chevrolet and you just feel free and loved.

My description above was the first image that popped up in my mind but listening more closely you can somehow feel that sadcore thing. Maybe because it's the end of the summer or maybe if you go even further the end of summer also marks the end of Lana's relationship because he is the boss and decided so. Just like they had an affair and know each other damn well and Lana wanted them to be a couple and he agreed for one summer. Desperate as Lana sometimes seems to be when it comes to men who leave her she just lived in the moment for one summer and didn't think about their soon end.

She probably wanted to write a happy song but couldn't get rid off a sad subliminal tone because her subconscious reminded her of the truth.

Maybe my Lanalysis goes a little far  :eek:

lana-del-rey-high-by-the-beach_zpscfcsgx