Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

8 hours ago, lizzyology said:

She actually had a romantic relationship managed by Bob Leone, from April-August, 2008 with Lady Gaga.

This is the reason she had that feud on Facebook with her :true:. It was said in an interview that Lana became envious of Gaga’s wigs and broke off the relationship 

Lol ! With Bob Leone? it's a joke right?

11 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

they're all about lano del rey

Getting some real chef-y vibes from this gender-swapped Lana Del Ray... :  HollywoodHandbook

this picture is gonna haunt me in my dreams :hillary:

꧁ღ⊱♥ i lost my reputation, i forgot my truth, but i have my beauty and i have my youth ♥⊱ღ꧂

BRILLIANT.gif

Lana and Sean were publicly together from September 2019 to March 2020. We know between these times, his wife now would know their relationship. On March 2020, Sean announced that they broke up. Now, I think he also told his wife that they broke up. However, he was still seeing Lana secretly. Neither his wife or Lana were aware of this situation. It makes sense it happened after Lana-Sean initial break up, because Lana mentioned they were in couples therapy together, meaning they were trying fix the situation in their relationship.

I think either Sean and his wife got secret mariage together before the public January 2022 one or Lana was meant to say engaged. Him and Lana seeing each other till January 2022 is also a possibility but it would be crazy. I believe it’s engagement because she first mentioned this incidence through A&W tiktok video saying engaged.

Now looking back at Tulsa Jesus Freak lyrics, it has a whole new meaning. I think for her too. She didn’t know why they are meeting secretly, why he’s afraid of their love. Maybe he told he doesn’t want to be in front of cameras etc. That’s why she sings it before the show, before A&W

“You should come back to our place, baby
Don't be afraid of our love
On the second floor, darling
In the second flat, hurry up“

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

7 hours ago, Embach said:

Some tracks on Ultraviolence like Black Beauty, Is This Happiness, Shades Of Cool, Flipside and Guns & Roses are most likely about her ex Barrie and his battle with his depression.

Although some tracks on Ultraviolence is a satire how media portrayed Lana like Money Power Glory, FMWUTTT, Sad Girl.

Some tracks are about her life when she was younger (like May Jailer/Lizzy Grant) when she was in a sect (she said it in Grazia Austria Magazine in 2014) like Ultraviolence title track.

West Coast was about her past experience too or something, I remember she said about it how she was in a club and a guy there said her the "if you're not drinking then you're not playing" line.

Florida Kilos was probably a fictional track or something, it was originally made for a movie or a documentary.

I don't really know where to "classify" songs like Pretty When I Cry, Cruel World, Old Money and The Other Woman (although it's a cover), I can see these songs about being her past experiences but who knows.

Honeymoon is mostly about the life she was living with her Italian boyfriend Francesco, especially Salvatore. But there are songs that are just about her life as a famous person and relationship with her fans like God Knows I Tried and High By The Beach and maybe Don't Let Me Misunderstood too but it's a cover. Some songs are also fictionalized (as she said in an interview) like Art Deco (people rumoured that this song is about Azealia Banks or Lady Gaga but Lana said that the song was about teenagers going to a club) and Swan Song (people thought it was about her quitting singing but Lana said that it was about an old couple who were retiring and it's about finding beauty in giving up and antithesis of hope). 24 is most likely about point of view of a Bond Girl because rumour has it that 24 was created for 24th James Bond movie Spectre but it lost to Sam Smith. There are also break-up songs like Terrence Loves You and The Blackest Day which are most likely about her ex Barrie (I don't think it's about Francesco because they broke up when Honeymoon was already released).

I don't know if it's helpful, but yeah...

Also this is her relationship timeline since 2011, one of the users wrote here:

i believe old money is about her past, possibly the lizzy grant era or even her youth, she re-used some elements of methamphetamines, a lizzy grant song, in old money, she talks about her family, and some of the lyrics are lizzy-esque, especially with mentions of blue hydrangea and new york city, she once said jersey nights instead of summer nights during a live performance of it, and we all know that new jersey was relevant to her during that time, that's where her trailer park was!

i believe guns and roses could be about past experiences as well, or could just be inspired by some of her older songs/older lyrical style, it has similarities to yayo

On 1/4/2023 at 2:01 AM, IanadeIrey said:

One of her best songs - I always thought it was a retrospective of the narrative she relays on Yayo, in some ways. Several lyrical parallels indicate this to me -

Yayo: “Put me onto your black motorcycle”

Guns and Roses: “Motorcycle love divine”

Yayo: “50s baby doll dress for my I do

Guns and Roses: “I wasn’t the marrying kind, I should’ve done it anyway”

Yayo: “It only takes two hours to Nevada”

Guns and Roses: “We should’ve left Las Vegas” 

LOVE when she makes thematically continuous but subtle references between songs - it is so conducive to the “grand narrative” of LDR. 

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

3 hours ago, Let the Light In said:

Now looking back at Tulsa Jesus Freak lyrics, it has a whole new meaning. I think for her too. She didn’t know why they are meeting secretly, why he’s afraid of their love. Maybe he told he doesn’t want to be in front of cameras etc. That’s why she sings it before the show, before A&W

WAIT the “don’t be afraid of our love” makes SO much sense now! He was afraid bc he was hiding the situation that rat 

6 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

she once said jersey nights instead of summer nights during a live performance of it, and we all know that new jersey was relevant to her during that time, that's where her trailer park was!

She also changed the lyrics to "jersey shores" in one live performance, which is even more of a direct Methamphetamines reference.

18 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i believe old money is about her past, possibly the lizzy grant era or even her youth, she re-used some elements of methamphetamines, a lizzy grant song, in old money, she talks about her family, and some of the lyrics are lizzy-esque, especially with mentions of blue hydrangea and new york city, she once said jersey nights instead of summer nights during a live performance of it, and we all know that new jersey was relevant to her during that time, that's where her trailer park was!

i believe guns and roses could be about past experiences as well, or could just be inspired by some of her older songs/older lyrical style, it has similarities to yayo

Oh wow thanks for clarifying more. I have never noticed the similarities between Yayo and Guns & Roses, even though I love them both so much, especislly G&R which is so overhated. :wowcry:

Imo, UV is the follow-up to AKA. I have always found it quite Lizzy, like more raw Lizzy, as she talks about her past experiences like in Ultraviolence track.

Spoiler

As much as I love the AKA version of Yayo, I have imagined like what if Yayo was never reworked for Paradise but it was reworked for UV - a rock version similar to The Rich Whores version reworked by Dan Auerbach - as a last track. Just a thought I have thought :shh2:

url%5D

On 7/7/2023 at 9:14 AM, ultrabanisters said:

correct

entrance depends on the way you bought them. west usually shows if you bought during presales

my fan presale was south but my amex kaboodle presale was west

8 hours ago, Embach said:

Some tracks on Ultraviolence like Black Beauty, Is This Happiness, Shades Of Cool, Flipside and Guns & Roses are most likely about her ex Barrie and his battle with his depression.

Although some tracks on Ultraviolence is a satire how media portrayed Lana like Money Power Glory, FMWUTTT, Sad Girl.

Some tracks are about her life when she was younger (like May Jailer/Lizzy Grant) when she was in a sect (she said it in Grazia Austria Magazine in 2014) like Ultraviolence title track.

West Coast was about her past experience too or something, I remember she said about it how she was in a club and a guy there said her the "if you're not drinking then you're not playing" line.

Florida Kilos was probably a fictional track or something, it was originally made for a movie or a documentary.

I don't really know where to "classify" songs like Pretty When I Cry, Cruel World, Old Money and The Other Woman (although it's a cover), I can see these songs about being her past experiences but who knows.

Honeymoon is mostly about the life she was living with her Italian boyfriend Francesco, especially Salvatore. But there are songs that are just about her life as a famous person and relationship with her fans like God Knows I Tried and High By The Beach and maybe Don't Let Me Misunderstood too but it's a cover. Some songs are also fictionalized (as she said in an interview) like Art Deco (people rumoured that this song is about Azealia Banks or Lady Gaga but Lana said that the song was about teenagers going to a club) and Swan Song (people thought it was about her quitting singing but Lana said that it was about an old couple who were retiring and it's about finding beauty in giving up and antithesis of hope). 24 is most likely about point of view of a Bond Girl because rumour has it that 24 was created for 24th James Bond movie Spectre but it lost to Sam Smith. There are also break-up songs like Terrence Loves You and The Blackest Day which are most likely about her ex Barrie (I don't think it's about Francesco because they broke up when Honeymoon was already released).

I don't know if it's helpful, but yeah...

Also this is her relationship timeline since 2011, one of the users wrote here:

Thanks very much for this (and also for not having to deep dive in the whole topic)! Exactly what I was looking for. 

4 hours ago, Let the Light In said:

Lana and Sean were publicly together from September 2019 to March 2020. We know between these times, his wife now would know their relationship. On March 2020, Sean announced that they broke up. Now, I think he also told his wife that they broke up. However, he was still seeing Lana secretly. Neither his wife or Lana were aware of this situation. It makes sense it happened after Lana-Sean initial break up, because Lana mentioned they were in couples therapy together, meaning they were trying fix the situation in their relationship.

I think either Sean and his wife got secret mariage together before the public January 2022 one or Lana was meant to say engaged. Him and Lana seeing each other till January 2022 is also a possibility but it would be crazy. I believe it’s engagement because she first mentioned this incidence through A&W tiktok video saying engaged.

Makes sense! “Did you know a singer can still be
Lookin' like a side piece at thirty-three?
God's a charlatan, don't look back, babe
Puts the shower on while he calls me
Slips out the back door to talk to me
I'm invisible, look how you hold me
I'm invisible, I'm invisible
I'm a ghost now, look how you hold me now.

It's not about havin' someone to love me anymore (oh, okay)
No, this is the experience of bein' an American whore”

I mean she dated him when she was 33. She sings about him seeing her in secret, how he really does his best to make sure that no one knows he’s seeing her. The fact that he made her feel like she was an American Whore. I do thing there’s more layers to “American Whore” but he’s definitely a part of it. Also the lines about God being a charlatan, it really ties back  to her critiquing his obsession with god, I mean she literally called him a Jesus freak…

Ugh I hate that man so much

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

Just now, syrup amour said:

. Also the lines about God being a charlatan, it really ties back  to her critiquing his obsession with god, I mean she literally called him a Jesus freak…

Ugh I hate that man so much

She actually sings “Got a cop who turned on the backbeat” talking about how he turned on music, put the shower on to hide their conversations. Using back doors to meet her. Making her invisible. So yeah, he really tried hard to hide their relationship.

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

3 minutes ago, Let the Light In said:

She actually sings “Got a cop who turned on the backbeat” talking about how he turned on music, put the shower on to hide their conversations. Using back doors to meet her. Making her invisible. So yeah, he really tried hard to hide their relationship.

Yeah I saw the video of her singing that, but aren’t the official lyrics “God’s a charlatan don’t look back babe”?? 

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

11 minutes ago, syrup amour said:

Yeah I saw the video of her singing that, but aren’t the official lyrics “God’s a charlatan don’t look back babe”?? 

No, in the official audio she says “got a ___ who turned on the backbeat”. Cop is censored. The audio effect coming from another channel made people think she says god’s a charlatan. 

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

I wonder how did the original White Hot Forever sound because everything in the official version is about Sean but she announced the title (in August 2019) before they were seen (in September 2019). But maybe they started dating way before?

url%5D

On 7/10/2023 at 1:03 PM, rocknrollgroupie said:

Wait why would people think it’s about Jonathan? I always assumed everyone thought it was about Chase lol

They were on n off from 2017 to 2019 and there were some other guys in between. But things apparently got more serious in 2019 when they were together all the time 

I don't really know and I have no concrete evidence, but I still think the song NFR is about Jonathan Wilson, and maybe other songs of the album, and also some poems of Violet.

It is a long post, sorry about that.

From L.A. mag :

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/how-jonathan-wilson-accidentally-rebooted-the-laurel-canyon-music-scene/

"he is first and foremost known for revitalizing the Laurel Canyon music scene, the neighborhood that was home to Joni Mitchell"

I think he is the resident Laurel Canyon who she is talking about, he has a lot of influence there where he lived and set up a studio where he collaborated with many artists as a producer. I could see him throwing parties and organize some jam sessions with friends often.

Maybe Lana felt a little bit forsaken.

In NFR :

"You talk to the walls when the party gets bored of you"

In the Bird World demo version of NFR :

"Heard you're back in the bar again

Hangin' out with your stupid friends

Playing with your guitar again

But I don't fucking care"

It reminds me of the white mustang music video where the guy, wearing long hair, was producing music or in a party instead of taking care of her, so she left. 

About that, it was said that the video were supposed to be made in first intention for Best American Record. He could be the musician she was talking about, writing his own record with her (she collaborated in his album Rare Birds) :

"He was seventies in spirit, nineties in his frame of mind"

The Laurel Canyon scene was at its peak in the 70s, with CSNY for example, who he collaborated with. 

And suddenly in NFR, Lana namedrops the Eagles, CSNY and Joni Mitchell.

"But you were so obsessed with writing

The next best American record

That there was nothing left by the time we got to bed

Baby, that's a shame

You were so obsessed with writing

The next best American record

You did it all for fame"

I know this could stand for Barrie, but I never saw him seeking fame.

I think their albums "Rare Birds" and NFR (what about Bird World ?) talk about each other. About the name "Rare Birds", Jonathan said that it stands for two lovers like two unique individuals who met and fell in love.

There are several songs in Rare Brids that make me feel are about Lana. 

Mulholland queen :

"You are perched up on the ridge of town"

"Oh baby, you're so blue and wise"

"With the babies breath in a crown-like shape"

"Through your laugh, I can breathe in a childlike air

With you dear, I'm in awe of a creature rare

With your tender smile and your pretty little dress

With your jazz in your heart, you don't need all the rest"

"From the curves of Bel Air to Topanga Creek

As we hear what the masters have sang us before

All the Billie and the Chet and the Pharaoh of yore"

"Under those big eucalyptus'

Where your grasses are green

Where you sway under the heavens

And your dominion is every...

Star"

This last sentence is almost repeated in the poem "La who I am to love you" :

"With towering eucalyptus trees that sway in my dominion"

Furthermore, for those who don't know, Lana loves Billie Holiday and Chet Baker.

Loving you :

"To wake up with you

Thats all I wanna do

Billie she was skipping all night

We didn’t even notice her"

"A match thats made beyond

The barricades of space and of time"

"Oh complex you

I know just what i will do

I’ll simply write another verse of you

A melody to keep you inside"

"Mostly talent

Most mystic

The rest it is magic"

Nota Bene : Lana is credited on this song (although we don't hear her).

Also, this song has a "summertime madness" edit version :

There's a Light :

"There is a garden

In the expanse of your mind

The harvest will speak volumes in due time"

"You are America and you are everyone

You are the miracle of love

With all your children at your feet

You are the ocean from above

So dear so deep"

Sunset Blvd :

"There's a cherry on top tonight

For men who look like jesus tonight

If you play your cards right

You can be the the son of god tonight

You were thin you were undersized for the spring

You entered your name just as "tight blue jeans"

In my phone I guess you do this kind of thing"

I def see her doing this

Living with myself (ft. Lana) :

"The lies, I start to believe them"

Lana in Bare feet on linoleum :

"and the lies, they
started to believe them
"

Hard to get over :

"The way you make love
Makes me see my funeral
On my wedding day
The way you’re daddy’s girl
I’ve watched the reel
I still don’t believe it"

Otherwise, I think he is the John in How to disappear :

"John met me down on the boulevard

Cried on his shoulder 'cause life is hard"

For the timeline we know they dated in 2016, and maybe in 2017 (we have pics of Lana attending a Pink Floyd show on june 2017 in which Jonathan Wilson toured as a guitarist). 

Maybe all this is too far fetched, but I really thinks he had a big impact on her, and on her art.

This is my interpretation that I had in mind since a long time, and of course I could be totally wrong.

2 hours ago, Unidentified Major Tom said:

Otherwise, I think he is the John in How to disappear :

"John met me down on the boulevard

Cried on his shoulder 'cause life is hard"

HTD is actually about a boxer guy she dated around October 2018, I remember Elle wrote a long post about it.

I actually agree with the TNBAR theory, I had always thought that it's about Barrie but I have wondered how the music video and the lyrics (since they were written in 2016 too) look like it's about her relationship with Jonathan not Barrie. Maybe her break-up with Jonathan was one of the reasons to scrap some of the LFL outtakes too. I also agree with the Violet parallels too.

Although, I'm one of those people who believe that NFR's original name was Burnt World not Bird World because it would make sense a lot with the album cover where in the background LA city is on fire and in The Greatest she talks about it too.

url%5D

7 hours ago, Let the Light In said:

this is such a genius observation :gclap:

not only does it help explain a few things but it also adds to the narrative of chemtrails, including the retitling from “White Hot Forever” to TJF (assuming there’s no other version with alternate lyrics).

19 minutes ago, Embach said:

HTD is actually about a boxer guy she dated around October 2018, I remember Elle wrote a long post about it.

Actually, I think it is about the two.

The first part seems to be about a "John", according to many sources and the second one (obviously with boxing lyrics) about a "Joe".

Okay for Burnt World as we don't really know. It is a possibility as the time was uncertain and troubled.

Just for fun, Jonathan Wilson in Over the midnight :

"Yeah this world it is burning
But don't it feel incredible?
Whisper in my ear
And tell me what you see in the flames

In the flames"

Aaron Greene and Lana mentioned in these article parts are from same The Lake Placid News and same date January 28, 2000. They were associated with the Blue Bombers team.

Fingertips-4.jpg

Fingertips-3.jpg

url%5D

On 7/14/2023 at 3:07 PM, Embach said:

Hide contents

I'm probably reaching but maybe that's why Lana's favorite color is blue?

The more likely answer is that blue is just a nice colour. It's sad, it's related to old american music, and it's the colour of the sea which she also loves using as a symbol

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif