Guest Maru the Cat

Member of the Week #3 (PrettyBaby)

Guest Maru the Cat

I'm happy to announce that the phenomenal PrettyBaby is the Member of the Week! I hope everyone enjoys reading her thoughtful answers as much as I did. :3 You can also post any follow-up questions, or anything you'd like to have seen PrettyBaby asked this in this thread.

With that said, let's start!

PrettyBaby: Member of the Week #3

WOW. Thank you so much, guys (and Maru)! I love this fan community! (I've spent way too much time answering the questions most interesting to me, so I think I'll stop here.)

1.) When did you become a fan of Lana? What was it about her that attracted you to her?

There are so many amazing things about Lana that all just kind of converged at the right time for me to completely fall in love with her as an artist. A few weeks before hearing of her, I had sort of decided I needed to broaden my musical horizons, to help in relating to more people outside my own "demographic," so to speak. So I went looking for interesting pop and hip-hop artists, as well as classical jazz-pop era artists. I really wanted to like Adele and Rhianna, but they just didn't hold my interest. I did pick up a Frank Sinatra CD. But then in January I read about a new "indie" female singer and decided to check out "Video Games" on YouTube. TBH it really wasn't my type of music. But it was intriguing. So I dug around a little, watched the SNL performance of "Born to Die," thought she seemed nervous yet somehow endearing. I couldn't find "Blue Jeans" from the same performance, but what I did find is Lana's video (first version). And "Blue Jeans" simply blew me away. It had jazz-pop elements. It had modern pop and hip-hop elements. And her voice! The chorus was absolutely enchanting for me. And then I kept finding out more and more about her. She also edited her own videos. She also did songs that were smart, sexy and funny ("You Can Be the Boss" and "Kinda Outta Luck"). She also did acoustic folk-rock, for crying out loud! And she was a model, an actress, an aspiring film scorer and scriptwriter... (um, Lana, you had me at "I grew up on hip-hop.") All this talent and diversity... from someone who LOOKS like she might fit into my own "demographic." I am completely blown away.

2.) What's your current career? What's your dream job?

I'm a free-lance technical editor, praying my favorite client gets their next contract so I can get mine! Dream job? Ben's. I'm kidding! (Being an entertainment lawyer would stress me out so much I'd never be able to enjoy working with the clients.) I think when I grow up what I really want to be is a video editor of music videos!

3.) What are your hobbies?

Reading, listening to music (obviously), and making jewelry

4.) Who are your favourite artists?

Puller, a post-hardcore band that broke up about ten years ago, and their lead singer Michael Lewis. Their music is so raw and painful and honest, yet hopeful at the same time. Plus, it has plenty of gratuitous power chords!

5.) What is your most embarrassing moment? (Please don't hold back! :3)

That time Aldo Nova started playing on my iPod (see #9 below).

6.) What is a characteristic/trait you see in others that you wish you had?

I feel like I should say that I wish I had the ambition that others have. But honestly, I'm coming to terms with accepting the fact that I'm not an ambitious person. And I sort of want to model for others that THEY don't have to buy into the idea that everyone has to be ambitious, as an integral part of their make-up, if they want to make a positive difference in the world. Which, is maybe, kind of ambitious? Well shit, at least I tried

7.) Put your iPod/music library on suffle and tell us which 10 songs are played. Don't skip, don't cheat!

1. "The Ocean" - Led Zeppelin

2. "Up on the Catwalk" - Simple Minds

3. "Cigarettes" - King's X

4. "Fantasy" - Aldo Nova

5. "Love Don't Mean a Thing (Without You)" - Badlands

6. "Sunny Day" - Elizabeth Mitchell

7. "Bomb" - Switchfoot

8. "Twilight Painter" - Tangerine Dream (Huh. First time I've heard it. Wait, no, there's no way I'm listening to this.)

9. "Summertime Sadness (Radio Mix) [Extended Version]" - Lana Del Rey

10. "Commonwealth" - Plankeye

11. "All You Need" - May Jailer AKA Lana Del Rey

12. "Storms" - The Appleseed Cast

13. "Red Barchetta" - Rush

14. "It's a Perfect Day Jerome" - Plankeye

15. "(K)new You" - Bodega

16. "A Forest" - The Cure (Oh good, I was gonna keep going till a Cure song came on.) Is this cheating? Oh well, I'm still listening, so you guys have to hear all about it

8.) Lana's junior and high school years have been rather chaotic from what we know. How were yours?

Boring and stressful, all at the same time. I always played it safe, and I was scared of my own shadow. Got picked on mercilessly my freshman year. Blossomed my junior year (the same year two cute boys moved in from out of town who knew nothing of my geek-girl-extraordinaire past). Still "safe too many times" though.

9.) If given the opportunity to meet Lana for an hour, what would you do/say?

Fall. Down. Dead. TBH, the thought of meeting Lana terrifies me! I'd probably get all tongue-tied and make a complete fool of myself.

10.) What was the last book you read?

"Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I think Chloe was one of those who recommended it to everyone. I miss her

11.) Would you rather love and be loved or know all God knows?

I'll never know all God knows. But I'd rather "know what God knows," in the sense of knowing the real Truth.

12.) What would you say is your favourite physical trait + personal characteristic?

I love a guy with big, expressive eyes and a straightforward, honest and open approach to life. (Found him. Put a ring on him. Now we get to grow together/drive each other crazy all day, every day, for the rest of our natural lives! We're on our way, baby! )

13.) What's something not many people know about you? OR What's something that we would be surprised to learn about you?

Crazy-ass since I was three. Lawyer (technically) since I was 22. Born-again Christian since I was 23. Film-school drop-out and full-time Mama since I was... never mind, I've already said too much

14.) What comes after Lana Del Rey in your music library?

None of your dang business, that's what. (Larry Norman)

15.) Are you the leaker?

Heck no. If I had that much old Lana/Lizzy/May material, I'd sit on it, feeling terribly smug for recognizing such greatness early on.

16.) Are you Lana?

I wish. And at the same time, I'm very glad I'm not.

17.) Are you Ben?

I wish. And at the same time, I'm very very very glad I'm not.

18.) Did you answer the 3 questions above honestly?

No. (There's really no part of me that wishes I were anyone else. Other than that, yeah.)

BONUS: Is there anything you'd like to tell the community of LanaBoards?

(Something that's been on my heart lately, which I rarely talk about but would love to scream from the rooftops sometimes...) There are two things in life that lead to boundary-lessness: too few rules, and too many rules. It is vital that in each of our lives, we learn to set healthy boundaries -- and enforce them.

Oh my, PrettyBaby. I just discovered you! To be honest I thought you were a 16 yo boy... (I don't know why, don't ask). I love your answers, you're articulate and fun :). Congrats!

And Maru, very good initiative, those questions/answers are great. We get to know our star of the week without being too invasive.

up45I.gif

To be honest I thought you were a 16 yo boy... (I don't know why, don't ask).

All my fault, I'm sure :D (I've been saying for years that I consistently have the musical tastes of a teenage boy, so I'm sure that has something to do with it!)

And, um, it occurs to me now that I've been a lawyer (only very technically) since I was 25, not 22. I misspoke because 1) I've never practiced, and 2) that's how long it's been!!!

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

"Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. I think Chloe was one of those who recommended it to everyone. I miss her

Aww, I missed you! Did you like Never Let Me Go? I love both the book and the film:')

one time, lana del rey told me that I made her day~ it was awesome

All my fault, I'm sure :D (I've been saying for years that I consistently have the musical tastes of a teenage boy, so I'm sure that has something to do with it!)

And, um, it occurs to me now that I've been a lawyer (only very technically) since I was 25, not 22. I misspoke because 1) I've never practiced, and 2) that's how long it's been!!!

I always thought lawyers were badasses. Being manipulative, go on chase for informations, go on court w/ a wig and robe and shout "OBJECTION YOUR HONOR!"... (sorry I watched too many series and movies).

Since there's no photo of you, this is how i'll picture you from now on. You're on the left btw. :teehee:

OlrF9.jpg

up45I.gif

Guest Maru the Cat

I always thought lawyers were badasses. Being manipulative, go on chase for informations, go on court w/ a wig and robe and shout "OBJECTION YOUR HONOR!"... (sorry I watched too many series and movies).

Since there's no photo of you, this is how i'll picture you from now on. You're on the left btw. :teehee:

OlrF9.jpg

:lmao:

Really interesting, and such a good way to get to know you! Loved your shuffle and explanation on finding Lana. Good interview, Maru, makes me excited for the continuation of Member of the Week.

Did you like Never Let Me Go? I love both the book and the film:')

I LOVED it. It was so sad, but so true of human nature. :( I HAVE to see the film now.

OlrF9.jpg

LOL, they make the women wear the funny wigs too? YIKES. Glad I never practiced in the U.K. in particular, then!!!

Yeah, I think badassery is a pretty important quality for courtroom law. I could've faked it, but man I didn't want to put myself through that. But if I could have skipped being an attorney and gone straight to judge, I would have done it in a heartbeat. (Less zealous-representation-of-one-side BS, more careful consideration and acknowledging of all the facts.) They don't really like to appoint noobs though, apparently. :/

To be honest I thought you were a 16 yo boy...

Jesus.

Despite being totally against the idea of a "member of the week" (hint hint: don't ever nominate me again or i'll sneak into every mod's house in the middle of the night and rearrange the furniture so as to totally confuse you) i voted for PrettyBaby because i wanted to hear what she had to say.

P.S. The other day in yoga we were talking about limitless boundaries.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

(hint hint: don't ever nominate me again or i'll sneak into every mod's house in the middle of the night and rearrange the furniture so as to totally confuse you)

Feng shui bandit?

photo-78.jpg?_r=1346826953

(hint hint: don't ever nominate me again or i'll sneak into every mod's house in the middle of the night and rearrange the furniture so as to totally confuse you)

Don't vorry, ve have other vays of making you overshare, BWAhahahaha...

P.S. The other day in yoga we were talking about limitless boundaries.

Do tell!

Don't vorry, ve have other vays of making you overshare, BWAhahahaha...

Come on you sadistic German/Count of Transylvania, don't do me like this.

Do tell!

It's just the simple idea that creating and following our own imposed boundaries can be a healthy part of our lives by providing self-discipline and acting as a sort of guide/compass in our lives and what we do, but that they're never static--we're always reevaluating and adjusting our boundaries, remaining open to inevitably changing them as we grow, hence limitless. Makes a lot of sense, i reckon. Yes?

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

It's just the simple idea that creating and following our own imposed boundaries can be a healthy part of our lives by providing self-discipline and acting as a sort of guide/compass in our lives and what we do, but that they're never static--we're always reevaluating and adjusting our boundaries, remaining open to inevitably changing them as we grow, hence limitless. Makes a lot of sense, i reckon. Yes?

Indeed. If we want to grow, we need to be willing to change. :)