GangstaBoy

'Big Eyes' and 'I Can Fly' Released, Featured in Tim Burton's 'Big Eyes'

Having listened to both songs several times now, I find myself flip-flopping on my prior opinion. I had liked "I Can Fly" better; now I like "Big Eyes" better. But the sampled/synthesized trumpets in "Big Eyes" really cracks me up. I mean, if Dan Heath could use live strings, couldn't he get a couple of live trumpet players, too?? ;)

What a great piece to learn when you're just starting out! Do you sense the same influence? Or am I flying solo on this one? x

I didn't notice it myself, but I'll have to go back and give it another listen. :)

I didn't notice it myself, but I'll have to go back and give it another listen. :)

I'm a geek, I know :shh2:

:heart:  :heart:  :heart:

I can't believe that the big eyes/big lies thing is real... :lmao:
The songs are heavenly. I can really see how Lana has entered the main character's mind. It's like a diary in song form.

i am nothing and should be everything

The songs are heavenly. I can really see how Lana has entered the main character's mind. It's like a diary in song form.

Oh come on ... the songs are good and fit the movie, but it's general "I thought i could trust you" stuff, seemingly including ONE scene from the movie where she actually paid attention, where they are sunbathing in the garden.

"I had bright wishes in the summer,

I was bathing in sunlight,

Painting in the garden,"

"I saw you creeping around the garden"

"I noticed you got hot in summer

You had no comfort
Your shirt was cotton
Your face was sunburned
You paced around like you’d been waiting
Waiting for something"

I mean like, the whole second verse of BE is lyrically stupid as hell. It's good soundtrack music but far away from a "diary in song form".

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

From now I will eternally be confused when someone says  BE, for a while I thought everyone was talking about Body Electric but then I remembered what thread this is :karaoke:

Am I the only one who fucking loves I Can Fly? listening to it 24/7

not 7 yet. just saying

It's growing on me a lot, but it's made me wonder if she'll make a record more in this style, or if it will stand alone like Y&B.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Oh come on ... the songs are good and fit the movie, but it's general "I thought i could trust you" stuff, seemingly including ONE scene from the movie where she actually paid attention, where they are sunbathing in the garden.

"I had bright wishes in the summer,

I was bathing in sunlight,

Painting in the garden,"

"I saw you creeping around the garden"

"I noticed you got hot in summer

You had no comfort
Your shirt was cotton
Your face was sunburned
You paced around like you’d been waiting
Waiting for something"

I mean like, the whole second verse of BE is lyrically stupid as hell. It's good soundtrack music but far away from a "diary in song form".

I haven't seen the movie yet, but that's how I feel. I doubt that I will change my mind, though.  I LOVE those kinds of emotional/thoughts vignettes, so sue me.

i am nothing and should be everything

It's the same loss of paradise theme she sings about in her albums and in movies.

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

There are some parts of Big Eyes that I love, and some parts that just don't fly with me at all. Weird and hard to explain, maybe the whole song will grow on me after putting it on loop on my ipod. 

1olt2g.jpg

There are some parts of Big Eyes that I love, and some parts that just don't fly with me at all. Weird and hard to explain, maybe the whole song will grow on me after putting it on loop on my ipod.

Pun intended? ;)

"Big Eyes" thematically is not the same as any of her albums. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

The woman in "Big Eyes' is a strong unapologetic bitch (she's like fuck it bye bitch) she's almost insulting the man in the song, whereas the woman on BTD/Paradise/UV is a weak bitch..a wilted flower that relies on the man and not shameful that she needs a daddy/man in her life.

Songs like Young and Beautiful for example is more closely related to her albums because she's clearly seeking approval of another person or she's uncertain about herself "Will u still love me when i'm no longer young and beautiful?"

This song is the opposite of that.

You paced around like you'd been waiting
Waiting for something
Your world was burning and I stood watching
As I looked on the flames grew high you watched me frown
I said "goodbye"

The woman thinks highly of herself and she's confident.