Fluorine

Charli XCX

I think my growing problem with Charli is theres nothing to her anymore. Sucker was very clearly derivative of it's own influences both sonically and lyrically and it was just bubblegum pop with a bit of a "punk" tinge. This new EP goes even further into this issue. Its a Charli XCX EP but it sounds like a SOPHIE EP with Charli's voice on it. It may be pushing the boundaries of pop, but its not really doing anything unique because its nothing SOPHIE and the rest of PC Music hasn't already done before. Its a nice release for what it is, but I just hope that isn't the sound of her album because instead of a true collaboration, the Vroom Vroom EP comes across as about 90% SOPHIE and 10% Charli. I think I got into her so much because True Romance was truly unique and really felt authentic rather than feeling completely derivative of it's influences and collaborators.

i think that charli needs to go back to her roots. thats what amde her unique, awesome, cool, distinct, etc. She needs to make more stuff similar to her mixtapes and true romance. all of her new music is more experimental and yeah i kinda like it but i dont think its worth her career putting out these catchy pop songs with barely no substance. i feel the same way about charli. her aesthetic has become "charli this catchy pop princess who makes addictive songs" i hate it. thats the only reason why people wanna collab. Fancy? I Love It? Drop That Kitty? Beg For It? Hands in the fire? Its like the industry is changing her and her authenticity. I hope she revives herself with her next album. I like the material shes releasing but its like she shouldve released taht way before true romance or the mixtapes even happened.  

She doesn't need to go back to TR and she shouldn't, she needs to evolve as an artist.

This is the same as saying Lana needs to make a "Born to Die 2.0" its ridiculous, and a huge step back in an artist's perspective

I'm not asking her to go back to TR sonically, I'm saying she needs to figure out how to incorporate the elements of it into her work because it's what made her great. TR had some of the best writing I've heard in awhile coming from a synth-pop artist and then we got Sucker. Its not like asking for BTD 2.0, it'd be like asking Lana to step her game up if Lana recorded BTD and then followed it up with Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded

I'm not asking her to go back to TR sonically, I'm saying she needs to figure out how to incorporate the elements of it into her work because it's what made her great. TR had some of the best writing I've heard in awhile coming from a synth-pop artist and then we got Sucker. Its not like asking for BTD 2.0, it'd be like asking Lana to step her game up if Lana recorded BTD and then followed it up with Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded

exactly. she needs to go back to her roots! and use them to the best of her ability. 

Charli has always made TR and its sister mixtapes to be more of an anomaly in her discography. I feel like Vroom Vroom EP was a logical step for her. Most of Charli's songs are rather simple and straightforward, TR is still my favorite release and VV incorporates a new sound into her discography while still giving it a Charli edge (see the verses on Secret or the Pulp Fiction sample on Trophy). She's always had her identity but has the diversity and experimentation to find what works for her at the moment.

14 - punk with a pop edge

TR - grimy internet pop

Sucker - pop with a punk edge

Vroom Vroom/Next album - hyper pop/PCMusic

I feel like Sucker (although not my favorite Charli release) wasn't an impeccable album it was still very her and probably couldn't have been replicated by another performer.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

someone delete Snow's vocals. it's such a cute track

Miike Snow is a band. Andrew Wyatt (co-wrote Die Tonight and was all over Emile Hayne's album) does the vocals and writing and Bloodshy and Avant do the production.