annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

@@Greenwich  billboard charts-

it should be the issue dated Oct.10, revealed Tuesday Sept. 29.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Um where can I buy this cd (not online)? Not at walmart, I checked there.

Has anybody gotten it or seen it at Target? I don't see it on their site

It was on their site a couple days before release, i was checking to see if there might be an exclusive, but I cant find it anymore. weird.

anyway, yes it's available at target. i bought it there on friday.

So finally here’s my review of the new album. At first listen I wasn’t too impressed, even a bit underwhelmed by the lack of tempo. There are a few good songs, yes, but the overall tone didn’t really struck me. But then I listened to Honeymoon with my headphones on - and was blown away! What a fantastic album! There is so much going on in the songs that I didn’t hear when just playing the music thru speakers. Sure the overall mood of the album isn’t suitable for every time of the day - it’s no album to „pump you up“ :-) - but it’s awesome in the evening/night. I really really dig the production and the sounds on this album, which are probably (almost) the best Lana has ever had on one of their records.

My track-by-track review:

01 - Honeymoon
3,25/5 - this song doesn’t do much for me - it’s a bit too slow. But okay.

02 - Music To Watch Boys To
5/5 - Dreampop deluxe; would have been great if Beach House managed to write a song as good as this for their new album.

03 - Terrence Loves You
2/5 - still don’t like this song; it’s just boring to me.

04 - God Knows I Tried
3,5/5 - okay, quite good, not spectacular

05 - High By the Beach
4,75/5 - still a cool song - and finally the album REALLY kicks off!

06 - Freak
5/5 - this sounds so wonderfully weird, I love it! The bridge is the most beautiful moment of the entire album.

07 - Art Deco
4,75/5 - this is almost Pop (for this album). Great sounds as well.

08 - Burnt Norton (Interlude)
3,5/5 - I could listen to Lana reading poems all day long :-)

09 - Religion
4,5/5 - this song really has grown on me - it has a certain „glow“ in it. (Btw it’s amazing how high Lana get’s with her voice - she should cover a song from the Cocteau Twins!)

10 - Salvatore
4,25/5 - this is a funny song - and once with again awesome soundscapes.

11 - The Blackest Day
4,75/5 - dark, majestic, and sometimes reminds me of Portishead in the overall atmosphere.

12 - 24
3,5/5 - the first half of the song is boring, the second half much better.

13 - Swan Song
5/5 - soooo good! Maybe the best song on the album. It’s so melancholic and deep I could almost cry.

14 - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
3/5 - don’t really know if this song was necessary but okay, it cheers up the mood. And it’s way better than TOW!

So overall this album is great. I like it better than UV (but Paradise remains my favourite album of hers).

So after listening to Honeymoon over the last days I have to say that it's absolutely amazing ! My first listening impression was that the tempo was extremely slow but now I kinda get the mood and it doesn't seem that slow to me anymore since I noticed all the amazing instruments and voices that pop out of nowhere in each song.

Does anybody agree that Lana choose some of the weakest tracks for (promotional) singles ? Don't get me wrong, I really like Honeymoon but in comparison to other tracks that are even longer it just drags on. Terrence Loves You is so delicate and emotional and beautiful but lyric- and production-wise there are definitely better songs on the album. High By The Beach is a stand out track but in a negative way. Imo you can hear that it was written and produced to be a single because it doesn't really fit into the album. The only exception is Music To Watch Boys To which is a musical masterpiece (gimme that high production video Lana  :crai: )

I can't decide which songs I like the most since they are all heaven  :worship:

lana-del-rey-high-by-the-beach_zpscfcsgx

So after listening to Honeymoon over the last days I have to say that it's absolutely amazing ! My first listening impression was that the tempo was extremely slow but now I kinda get the mood and it doesn't seem that slow to me anymore since I noticed all the amazing instruments and voices that pop out of nowhere in each song.

Does anybody agree that Lana choose some of the weakest tracks for (promotional) singles ? Don't get me wrong, I really like Honeymoon but in comparison to other tracks that are even longer it just drags on. Terrence Loves You is so delicate and emotional and beautiful but lyric- and production-wise there are definitely better songs on the album. High By The Beach is a stand out track but in a negative way. Imo you can hear that it was written and produced to be a single because it doesn't really fit into the album. The only exception is Music To Watch Boys To which is a musical masterpiece (gimme that high production video Lana  :crai: )

I can't decide which songs I like the most since they are all heaven  :worship:

Well, HBTB was no mistake since as you point out yourself it was the obvious single choice. Let's not pretend as if there are many singles to chose from on this album.

Deluded fans will scream "YAS LANA GIVE US THE BLACKEST DAY WITH A BIG VIDEO", but logically that is not happening.

But I agree that HM and TLY were odd choices. Maybe she saves songs like Freak, Art Deco or Salvatore for further single releases? Who knows, doesn't look like it, though.