annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

It sometimes makes makes me sad, that she seems to care more about critics than her fans. Its okay if she just writes for herself, she doesn´t has to write for herself and her fans, but she seems to write for herself and the critics....

Oh, and I don´t remember who, but some member pointed out that the first word of HM is "WE" and the last "MISSUNDERSTOOD" do you guys think that´s intentional?

The Other Woman is her best cover, it's one of the best songs on UV and fits the album PERFECTLY! It's a great closer aswell.

However, DLMBM is just ... hm. Swan Song would have been a perfect closer but DLMBM just feels like the obligatory last-track cover. Her vocal performance is nice but the production is soaking out all of the life.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Last week Honeymoon was discounted on iTunes. While it was stable inside of the Top100 and even went like around No.60 on iTunes, it failed to re-enter the Top200.

Interesting enough, BTD which was never inside the Top300 on iTunes, is at No.138 this week on BB200.

This just shows how important streaming has become for artists. Honeymoon streams are rather tragic, BTD/P was streamed over a billion times on Spotify alone.

I hope this shows her how essential it is to have some very strong singles for her next album.

Last week Honeymoon was discounted on iTunes. While it was stable inside of the Top100 and even went like around No.60 on iTunes, it failed to re-enter the Top200.

Interesting enough, BTD which was never inside the Top300 on iTunes, is at No.138 this week on BB200.

This just shows how important streaming has become for artists. Honeymoon streams are rather tragic, BTD/P was streamed over a billion times on Spotify alone.

I hope this shows her how essential it is to have some very strong singles for her next album.

Those BTD streams are a thing from the past. She's done commercially, people moved on, we are the last suckers to follow her bipolar-depressive ass. Her only realistic target it's to maintain some of her former fandom with a good album (which has to be much better than HM) Her recorded voice it's her only strength tbh, it's no matter if we call her songs singles or otherwise, she needs better lyrics and more passion in her music  

I’m not as interested in flip-floppers

Those BTD streams are a thing from the past. She's done commercially, people moved on, we are the last suckers to follow her bipolar-depressive ass. Her only realistic target it's to maintain some of her former fandom with a good album (which has to be much better than HM) Her recorded voice it's her only strength tbh, it's no matter if we call her songs singles or otherwise, she needs better lyrics and more passion in her music  

the btd streams are not a thing of the past. the album gets enough streaming points week after week to make her easily chart inside the top200. Even the sales for it are not bad. Week after week 1k-2.5k in the US in pure sales. This is quite a lot for an album this old.

:biblio: Born to Die has been streamed over 250 million times in the past 10 months :biblio:

:biblio: Born to Die has been streamed over 250 million times in the past 10 months :biblio:

I don't use spotify often but can you explain where you get your data from? This is a huge number taken in account that HM was also out and has aprox. 145 mil. streams.

Anyway, my point was that commercially she fed off from the BTD era which had diminishing returns with every new release. From this perspective, her next album will come out on its own terms and it won't be pretty.  

Also, I think that some of her stans cared way more about her success than she ever did. I came to a point where I'm not interested anymore about how much she sells or streams

Sry to ask but where do you look up the streaming numbers? Really would like to know the ones of HM and UV in comparison.

On Spotify, you can see a song's streaming number, just like YouTube has its "views".

Screen-shot-2015-08-03-at-08.49.31.png

UV and HM: http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/6400-lanas-streaming-power-updated-jan-2016/

My 1000th post goes out to Lana: I love you and your music! :brows:

Never really felt the need to carp about her music. Couldn't be happier to have it in my life. The albums are perfect, at least to me, and I will celebrate her in Warsaw. :rock: :dance:

~ Be yourself. Perform as much as you can and remember that music should never be about anyone else except yourself. ~

24 has one of the best bridges in lana's whole discography

On the topic of bridges, I really think that Lana has some of the best bridges out of most of the artists I listen to. Her bridges are generally always the highlight of the song for me... Honeymoon, MTWBT, TLY, God Knows I Tried, High By The Beach, Art Deco and more... almost all of Honeymoon. And it's like this on most albums as well. Her bridges are always fantastic, unlike a lot of other artists who tend to just repeat another part of the song again. 

On the topic of bridges, I really think that Lana has some of the best bridges out of most of the artists I listen to. Her bridges are generally always the highlight of the song for me... Honeymoon, MTWBT, TLY, God Knows I Tried, High By The Beach, Art Deco and more... almost all of Honeymoon. And it's like this on most albums as well. Her bridges are always fantastic, unlike a lot of other artists who tend to just repeat another part of the song again. 

I agree with you that HM has a lot of great bridges

24 is wonderful and yeah, MTWBT, HBTB and TLY also really stick out. For HM, the bridge is where the song actually seems to lead to.

However, I find the Art Deco bridge to be especially ... weak, compared to the other ones.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I agree with you that HM has a lot of great bridges

24 is wonderful and yeah, MTWBT, HBTB and TLY also really stick out. For HM, the bridge is where the song actually seems to lead to.

However, I find the Art Deco bridge to be especially ... weak, compared to the other ones.

I agree that Art Deco is one of the weaker bridges on HM, but it's still the highlight of the song overall for me. 

on a side note, and definitely not wanting to go all PC here, i just want to say this : people really should stop using 'bipolar' in the absence of an actual diagnosis, as if it were a qualifier. bipolar disease is absolutely not a glamorous, existentialist 'oh i feel so blue today, what ennui --- oh today i feel in sync with the universe', not to mention that nothing in her (public) behavior has ever been indicative of bipolarity, so it should really be kept out of the discussion. sorry, but i work in mental health and know just how harmful and counterproductive this stereotyping can be.

on a side note, and definitely not wanting to go all PC here, i just want to say this : people really should stop using 'bipolar' in the absence of an actual diagnosis, as if it were a qualifier. bipolar disease is absolutely not a glamorous, existentialist 'oh i feel so blue today, what ennui --- oh today i feel in sync with the universe', not to mention that nothing in her (public) behavior has ever been indicative of bipolarity, so it should really be kept out of the discussion. sorry, but i work in mental health and know just how harmful and counterproductive this stereotyping can be.

There are less sever forms of bipolar disorder but I agree with you that, beside a diagnosis, these terms shouldn't be used lightly, so mea culpa. I don't think that Lana has some serious mental health issues, but she had a lot of ups and downs, quick mood swings (just look at her instagram) she gave me the impression that she has a mild form of bipolar disorder. I remember her strange behavior when she cancelled the promo events in the UV era, she stated many times that she is sad so she hinted that she battles depression and, if I remember correctly, she talked about anxiety and that she saw a therapist. There are many things in her behavior, public appearance, interviews that hints at some psychological instability. This adds towards her mystery aura and sometimes I have the impression that she is purposefully acting strangely in some situations.  

And what about that strange instagram post with the book? "I remember this was a good day" she wrote but somehow I could totally envision a flip out after that scene.

Sadness, depression is a main theme in Lana's work and it's a serious issue. I think that besides some strange behavior she has a genuinely sad personality. I think that she will continue her trend of alternative/sadcore music and it would be a great opportunity for her to open up about her sadness, to give a more profound take on the issue than the overused sad girl trope in her work