Sign in to follow this  
AKA Lizzy Grant

Lana Del Rey Covers Billboard (October 22, 2015)

Re: the touring thing if she's really still affected by SNL, she needs to get over it and know why she's doing this - for herself. Like really know it. Stop rebelling - thinking of the Rolling Stone interview last year - and just realise what an incredible talent she has, stop relying on these douche men and get on out there and kick some arse because she is freaking amazing, way more talented than Barrie and Francesco. 

hmm wow this interview did things to me. 

Lana Del Rey and I were first introduced at an Architectural Digest pimped manse off Pacific Coast Highway during a party thrown, weirdly enough, for Werner Herzog and his bud, the physicist Lawrence Krauss. (Del Rey, 30, has spoken before of her interest in science and philosophy.)

Star in a Werner Herzog film, please. :oprah:

Lana Del Rey’s fourth album, Honeymoon, debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 in September, but when I asked if she planned to go on the road to promote it, she shook her head.

Alright. If she follows through on this (we know how often she changes her mind) and doesn't tour for Honeymoon at all, THEN. THEN I can understand criticism for lack of promotion.

That exodus was partly born of the need to heal following a 2012 appearance on Saturday Night Live that elicited a slaughter-of-the-lamb storm of derision over the then up-and-coming star’s seemingly zoned-out amateurism. She was tarred as a poseur -- part Edie Sedgwick, part Valley of the Dolls, a Never Will Be Ready for Primetime Player -- but it turned out that Del Rey was only at the end of Act One in an all-American A Star Is Born passion play of celebrity crucifixion and resurrection.

I really like this description especially the "slaughter-of-the-lamb" metaphor. It's really apt. Also, there's this. Was her last known pre-fame show an omen?

:illumilana: 

Mom’s an English teacher whose passion is reading history books. Del Rey lives here with her younger sister, Caroline Grant, a photographer who goes by Chuck. (Del Rey tells me that her sister was so shocked by the force of the fans’ emotions during concerts that she doesn’t take pictures of them anymore.)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that about her mom. Also, LOL at all you over-emotional thirsty fans. You disturbed Chuck. :teehee:

I’ve been thinking it might be time to do a longer video, a 40-minute video.

Not that I think we need another Tropico, but this would not exactly be a lack of promo.

Do you think having a child would chill you out? Do you want to have kids?

I’ve thought about it. Really thought about it lately because I’ve just turned 30. I’d love having daughters. But I don’t think it’d be a good idea to have kids with someone who wasn’t ... on the same page.

Someone who...

Who isn’t exactly -- like me! (Laughs.) Though maybe it’s best to have kids with someone who’s ... normal.

There. You said it. Explicitly. You're 30. Was that so hard?

Not sure what she's trying (not) to say about Franni. That he's not as famous as her? That she's a self-admitted weirdo and he's not? Or that she can't imagine a future having a family with him?

When was the last time you got trashed by a love affair?

The last one -- before the boyfriend I’m with now -- was pretty bad. It wasn’t good to be in it, but it wasn’t good to be out of it, either. He was like a twin. Not a facsimile twin, but a real twin.

Twincest vibes.

Are you aware of your effect on men?

I’ve only recently become aware of the heterosexual males who are into my music.

C'mon, you know I inspired the title of Ultraviolence. Don't lie. :crossed:

In all seriousness, I can't believe she's unaware of fans such as myself. (I don't mean me specifically, I mean straight male fans generally.) Though we may be a minority post-fame, I suspect we were a large majority of her fans in the early days. I mean, this is a woman who wears a fake wedding ring to minimize advances from men. She has to know.

I remember when I was 16, I had a boyfriend. I think he was... 25? I thought that was the best thing. He had an F-150 pickup and let me drive it one time. I was so high up! I panicked and was worried I might kill someone -- run over a nun or something. I started to shake. I was screaming and crying. I saw him looking over, and he was smiling. He said, “I love that you’re out of control.” He saw how vulnerable I was, how afraid, and he loved that. The balance shifted from there. I had the upper hand -- until then.

#Lolita #YouLikeYourGirlsInsane

James Franco asked me to be in three films that were going to be directed by a Spanish director, and I was hesitant. I think he heard my hesitance and got scared. Someone wanted me to be Sharon Tate. I thought, “That’s so right.” At that time, there were three Manson movies being talked about, but none were ever made. So maybe that was the answer.

Ha, Lana would play Sharon Tate. Don't play like you don't fetishize dead celebs.

XpNNIKT.png

Spanish director. Hmm... Almodóvar perhaps?

TO BE CONTINUED... (fucking quote limits)

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

...CONTINUED

Have you ever been the “voice of reason” for a friend in crisis?

I have -- I can be. It’s easier to do that sometimes ... for someone who’s half-checked out.

Meaning you.

Yes. (Pauses.) You know, I was living in Hancock Park once and thought about a movie idea. I was renting this house whose high walls had been grandfathered in, so of course I kept making them taller and taller. And I had an idea about writing something about a woman living there, a singer losing her mind. She has this Nest-like security system installed, cameras everywhere. The only people she saw were people who work on the grounds: construction people and gardeners. One day she hears the gardener humming this song she wrote. She panics and thinks, “Oh, my God. Was I humming that out loud or just to myself? And if it was aloud, wasn’t it at 4 in the morning? Did that mean he was outside my window?” Then a storm comes, one of those L.A. storms, and the power goes out except to the cameras, which are on a different source. And the pool has been empty for months because of the drought. And she goes outside in the middle of the night because she hears something -- and trips over the gardener’s hoe and falls into the empty pool and dies facedown like William Holden at the end of Sunset Boulevard.

Ummm...  :biblio: 

You know, pink flamingos always fascinated me.

I see her -- Lana -- I listen to her and watch her, and I’m ... protective.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first time she's spoken of Lana as a persona?

What draws me is ... the curves. I’m really drawn to the curves.

Me too. ;)

Not sure what she's trying (not) to say about Franni. That he's not as famous as her? That she's a self-admitted weirdo and he's not? Or that she can't imagine a future having a family with him?

I think she just doesn't see Francesco as Daddy material

It's an important decision, who you start a family with. It has to be the right person.

Does it all go wrong?

It’s hard for me sometimes to think about going on when I know we’re going to die. Something happened in the last three years, with my panic...

I had read that you were prone to that.

It got worse. But I’ve always been prone to it. I remember being -- I was, I think, 4 years old -- and I’d just seen a show on TV where the person was killed. And I turned to my parents and said, “Are we all going to die?” They said “Yes,” and I was totally distraught! I broke down in tears and said, “We have to move!”

How do you cope?

I saw a therapist -- three times. But I’m really most comfortable sitting in that chair in the studio, writing or singing.

This part made me think of the Annie Hall scene.

149o3h3.jpg

I'm so extremely grateful for this interview :defeated: This only reinforces how passionate I am about them, I just ADORE reading and hearing her talk about who she is, how she makes art, what she does, it gives the background needed to understand how supremely beautiful the art she makes is. I absolutely enjoyed this. I love that she mentions how terrified she is how sharks because it's legit my hugest phobia. It seems silly but when people ask me why I love her I never know what to respond, because it's so natural, it makes so much sense, and I think it's because of how much I relate to her, the way she approaches things, like when she says she's methodical or how she rewards herself, I could have use her own words and that fascinates me, because we have literally nothing in common. I love the way the interviewer talks about her and it's been a long time since I felt that she was confident and at ease.

Also omfg I'm screaming, I know it's been discussed already but do my eyes deceive me or is she shading Francesco???? For some personal reasons I get extremely emotional when she talks about motherhood and stuff and I kinda felt like she was saying she wouldn't have children with him? Might be wrong though.

ALSO I FORGOT TO SAY HOW GOOD THIS PHOTOSHOOT LOOKS I'm not worthy at all

ZKcaooE.png

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first time she's spoken of Lana as a persona?

I saw this too and now all my argument for my thesis doesn't make sense :deadbanana: She mentions so many times how Lana is not a persona, I wonder what she means by it, is she simply speaking of herself with the third pronoun or is she making a definite distinction?

ZKcaooE.png

I saw this too and now all my argument for my thesis doesn't make sense :deadbanana: She mentions so many times how Lana is not a persona, I wonder what she means by it, is she simply speaking of herself with the third pronoun or is she making a definite distinction?

I feel like she's just talking about herself. I sometimes try to look at myself the way an outsider would and I feel protective of me too.  :judgingu:

149o3h3.jpg

Ha, I wouldn't recommend anyone writing a thesis on Lana that depends in any way on taking stuff she says about herself at face value. She contradicts herself so much.

I thought she wanted to die last year :crying4: and now she's afraid.

Honeymoons impact I guess

It often comes together with ambivalent, torn apart individuals. Like, you are terrified of abrupt heights, but at the same time some invisible, unexplicable and irresistible force in your subconscious pushes you to surf off the cliff and fly away. I got that feeling. You want to die when you are overwhelmed with sensations, events, experiences, your own emotions you are not able to cope with or to chew through, and you want to escape that ring of fire, and on the other side you are afraid of death when your life becomes too sterile, desolate, meaningless, like you are in a muddy trap of routine and darkness, when you nostalgically long for those restless, jeopardy, rebel days of adrenaline junkie with vices, speed, sex with strangers and risky night streetcruisings. I guess so. After all, youngsters are bold, and they jump into flames without thinking about consequences, and older, wiser people develop certain character shielding that makes them more rigid and cautious.

:crying4:

tumblr_nbg6blFb0d1trud11o2_250.gif1e5408c919ff19d8ea5d8b3240bf67ed.jpggiphy.gif

I feel like she's just talking about herself. I sometimes try to look at myself the way an outsider would and I feel protective of me too.  :judgingu:

I agree, I think it's that. I mean she's know not to be too cohesive, but I do think she's serious about not being a persona, it's one of the few things that has been consistent. And I do that too, a lot

ZKcaooE.png

Ha, I wouldn't recommend anyone writing a thesis on Lana that depends in any way on taking stuff she says about herself at face value. She contradicts herself so much.

True, but without telling it all because it interests no one and I hate how pretentious it makes me sound, her career and lyrics are just the perfect arguments to describe stuff about being anti-fame and how this anti-fame is making her famous (hate myself for quoting I wish I was dead already but :/)

ZKcaooE.png