Say Yes to Heaven

Freak Music Video Premiering February 9th

I watched the video I made a couple of times while working on it and the Freak MV just once so actually, I tend to forget about the footage used being in synch with Freak. 

I think that put together with UV, the story is beautifully told. But you can still imagine it the way you want it. For instance, I decided to include the original UV music video, where's she's going to the altar. I thought that was an illustration of the enduring love she had for her cult leader, becoming his wife, but also a sacrifice. 

The water scenes ? Once more, you can interpret it as you want. Nymphs. Baptism. After life... Who knows. That's the beauty of it ? (It WAS too long, though haha :creep: )

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

Not gonna lie I'm dissapointed in the music video. I got home from work and seen that it was over 10minutes and thought yes Ride teas!!! The Freak part wasn't too bad, that on its own would have been fine, but still it was all too slow motion for me, there was no miming to the lyrics either which I thought would have made it a bit better. The last 5/6 minutes under water where pointless. 

I've gotta say thought I do like the story line, I just think it could have been filmed and put together a lot better, its cool too think of the underwater scene as them all going to heaven etc, but why wasn't Lana even there? And even so there's no need for almost 6 minutes of them in slow motion in underwater, They could have cut that to 30 seconds and it still would have had the same story line. 

Its a real shame to see her video's go so downhill because ok she doesn't go on TV anymore or perform live on TV/Radio, but you can get over that because her music is good anyway and she say's she doesn't enjoy doing it. But her videos where what made people interested in her especially me. I mean National Anthem and Ride are masterpieces, as is Born To Die for a video without a monologue. 

I enjoyed High By The Beach a lot, even though it was simple, but MTWBT and FREAK are not up to par....

qsVmBMd.png

The Water Girls is like one of her best visual idea ever (exotica, Les Baxter etc.) and she uses it for this ? A Windows screensaver ?

Her artistry, for now, is slowly turning into a graveyard of slaughtered moments of greatness, with tons of shit splattered on their corpses. I'm not so mad about the Misty parts being intented for UV, as they do not fit at all with the urban jazzy/noir imagery she crafted for this era (and then threw away as usual) and they're quite meh and boring ; but they're clearly uneditted so anyway.

Is Lana even ok ? She comes out of the house looking like a real yet uncomfortable & awkward diva once every 2 months, flapping her hand here and there ; and then she looks depressed, desperate and on codeine the rest of the time. How is that cohesive ? What is the plan ? I don't even mean from an artistic or career point of view ; I am not in position or whatever to judge her etc, but I don't think it's very healthy. 

When she posed next to Daniel Johnston back in november, dressed in that weird khaki thing, fried by the californian sun and just chain smoking, it actually struck me how close they are as characters, which I thought was impossible.

I don't understand how she can still avail herself of so many great and underground artists ; and then put this dull thing out, trying to convince everyone in the room including herself that it's cool. I hope she comes through next time, a huge part of her discography alone is a proof of her talent, charm and uniqueness. But this I don't feel.

Random thought I just had... in the Ultraviolence video, you can see Lana licking Fran's fingers. I wonder if this has anything to do with the shot of Lana in the Freak video, putting LSD on FJM's tongue? I doubt its a coincidence, especially considering the Freak video was the initially planned UV video. I wonder if Lana re-shot the UV video but still wanted to incorporate the tongue part into the new video?

Not sure of the significance of these two shots, but thought it might be worth mentioning. 

Here's the randomness that I get from yours:

What I like about this is the idea that Freak could be intended as something like the UV video with a shifted perspective. In UV, LDR is more or less haunted by a memory which she occasionally gets fleeting images and interactions with (well a memory of Fran's hand at any rate interacting with her face). With Freak it's the male character that is haunted, this time by a whole body image of LDR ("my boyfriend's really cool but he's not as cool as me", lol). FJM at the beginning of the video, walks behind LDR but can't seem to touch her, which is where I get the possible interpretation that the LDR character is not real. I also like the fact that if the theory that the released UV was about Pam's relationship with Jim Morrison were true, then the fact FJM looks so much like Jim Morrison (let's say) also shifts the perspective from Pam to Jim (and also away from Charles Manson). If FJM is more representative of Morrison, that he takes drugs and possibly dies is somewhat motivated. What's a little unmotivated is that he can only interact with her (Pam/LDR) after the acid, and that she gives him the acid. 

Fast Forward a year from now

Lana released a new lp in the meantime

all the ones hating on Honeymoon itself and saying how great Ultraviolence was

now say why can't the new album (Re-Birth?) have been as great as Honeymoon

and they will say the new album is boring, lana is lazy she is finished blah blah blah

Just like one flips back on the board, and reads old threads, and realizes so many of the ones now saying they loved Ultraviolence put Ultraviolence down and hated on it 18 months ago

So I guess fast forward 18 months, and Honeymoon will be called the greatest ever.

and the new album at the time will be called shit.

lol

I'll meet you on the flipside. I love Honeymoon and everything about it.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I feel like they dumped all this footage on us, unedited (otherwise why else are all the shot so long) so that fans can create their own UV videos. :creep:

I didn't like the video, but that's because it wasn't really a video for Freak. It was material that should've been for UV that was never used and instead sewn together to please fans.

Really, I feel mad that the UV video that should've been never was. Imagine if Lana dropped a video like this on us. The scene with FMJ taking the acid was great. The kool-aid (and the kool-aid dripping down her chin) was great. I died when they were dancing in the fog. And in appropriate doses, the water girls and sister wives could've also been great. But for some reason, UV didn't happen, and we got the lazy video of her sucking on Francesco's fingers and eating an orange. Maybe she's not trying now because she feels there's no point - her actual ambitious ideas were prevented from coming to fruition, so screw the label and screw the fans, I'll only do as much as I need to to get both of them off my back.

It's a real shame. I feel like maybe she should take a break... go to places other than LA and NY. In the meanwhile, fans will continue to make a million fanmade UV clips because this footage needs editing bad.

the water scenes are not a metaphor to mass cult suicide but rather lana's career slowly sinking into the depths of the ocean never to see the light of day again. this video makes less sense than her old home made videos.

I'm so lucky I love sunbathing and moonbathing

Although the I like the Freak video, knowing it was intended for something else at one point throws me off just a little. It makes me a little disappointed knowing that a brand new video actually written and directed to fit freak could've happened. Honestly so ready for her next era already......

BE4-BF75-D-1-C25-4-A49-AE3-E-558-FB954-A

Fast Forward a year from now

Lana released a new lp in the meantime

all the ones hating on Honeymoon itself and saying how great Ultraviolence was

now say why can't the new album (Re-Birth?) have been as great as Honeymoon

and they will say the new album is boring, lana is lazy she is finished blah blah blah

Just like one flips back on the board, and reads old threads, and realizes so many of the ones now saying they loved Ultraviolence put Ultraviolence down and hated on it 18 months ago

So I guess fast forward 18 months, and Honeymoon will be called the greatest ever.

and the new album at the time will be called shit.

lol

I'll meet you on the flipside. I love Honeymoon and everything about it.

I'm going to give it a like 'cause it's THE truth 

but I like my theory the best

5 years from now

Lana has released 3 albums and 1 LP

They were all full of americana and bad boyz

the end.

:slayty:

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif

I wish she released this as a music video for Ultraviolence with an actual plot, the footage had such potential to be one of her best music videos. Unfortunately it doesn't fit with Freak at all and the fact that she just edited a few random scenes in slow motion instead of including the rest of the footage is...  :noparty:  I mean, I would get it if there was to be something really controversial and the label wouldn't let her release it, but that's probably not the case since she released scenes with dropping acid and drinking kool-aid and I don't think the rest of the footage could be more controversial than that.

I hope that someone asks her someday why the original video was scrapped and how come she decided to use the footage for Freak.  :crossed:

I enjoyed High By The Beach a lot, even though it was simple, but MTWBT and FREAK are not up to par....

completely agree with you! Sometimes less is more and this video is a proof. The footage was nice to watchbut I hated it wasn't meant for this era, it was like "Oh shit, i need to release some single, I'm going to choose the most commercial song of Honeymoon and use scrapped footage I didn't use with Ultraviolence."

See HAD too perform there, it would been so sad if she didn't

Where's the person who said TLY was trying to brainwash us? I miss them

I think about that status update in a daily basis. :illuminataylor:

Anyway, I like the video. It's just badly edited, including the unnecessary 6 minutes of MTWBT girls

What happened to this site? It was gone for like three days. I was going crazy wanting to read what others fans thought of the new video. Anyway I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote on my tumblr. I didn't really right much this time around. For this era I think this is her best video so far. All I kept thinking was how much FJM looked like Jim Morrison lol :

http://mygloombeauty.tumblr.com/post/139073451691/lana-del-reys-new-music-video-freak-features

I'm going to add some of the event photos in the sightings section. She's back to auburn again!

Someone already mentioned it, but the fact she never used those scenes of the mtwbt girls dancing is a fucking crime!

That's for the next video in Lana's "let's milk the same footage for an entire album era and a half" series!

fullsizeoutput-3494.png