sparklrtrailrheaven

Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant  

253 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant?

• Kill Kill
    • Queen of the Gas Station
    • Oh Say Can You See
    • Gramma (Blue Ribbon Sparkler Trailer Heaven)
    • For K Part 2
    • Jump
    • Mermaid Motel
    • Raise Me Up (Mississippi South)
    • Pawn Shop Blues
    • Brite Lites
    • Put Me in a Movie (Little Girls)
    • Smarty
    • Yayo

5 minutes ago, YourGirl666 said:

Do you guys think she ever rerecorded AKA for private listening?

I don't think she's rerecorded it, but I think she's listened to it on her own more than we might think, especially in the past year or so. I'm still not over that random Pawn Shop Blues video.

imageproxy.jpg

Still her best album TBH. I need the David Kahne versions of Ben, Get Drunk, Jimmy Gnecco, Me & My Boyfriend, etc :poordat:

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

1 minute ago, Super Movie said:

I don't think she's rerecorded it, but I think she's listened to it on her own more than we might think, especially in the past year or so. I'm still not over that random Pawn Shop Blues video.

lana if you're reading this it's never too late to ask david kahne for all of the outtakes :et: 

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

Just now, Super Movie said:

This probably, It kind of baffles me too, I'd have thought that she would at least consider it for BB as a potential track, but apparently she didn't 

8nl2OpX.png

To give an answer to @YourGirl666's question about AKA outtakes, I don't think there *is* an answer. It's definitely fun to speculate about what might've been considered for the album, but in the absence of any provisional tracklists or confirmation from Lana (+collaborators) on the subject, the best we can do is look at what she was recording in that era and speculate. For example, we can definitely call "Loved You Then and Now" a COTCC outtake, because it appeared on an early tracklist for the album -- it was undoubtedly considered for the album, and just didn't make the cut. However, we can't say with certainty that "Pin Up Galore" was ever seriously considered for AKA -- sure, it was recorded with an important player in the AKA sessions in the same timeframe, and was even performed live alongside album tracks, but there's no proof that Lizzy ever considered putting it on the album. 

Lana's creative process just didn't seem to be overwhelmingly album-focused, this early in her career -- there's so much unreleased material pre-2011 that she couldn't have possibly intended it all for a specific project; she was just recording as songs came to her, and would eventually draw upon that back catalogue (or not) when it was time to assemble an album. She had the means to record on a whim, and platforms like Myspace and Reverbnation similarly gave her a platform to release music without tethering it to a larger project.

So, to put it simply, nothing can really be called an "outtake" unless we have some kind of documentation to prove it. Lana is way too mercurial, especially with her tracklists, to call anything of that nature definite without some explicit word on the matter. That's why I listed ALL the songs she did with Mertens and Kahne in the OP -- there's definitely some she seemed to like more, but any of them were just as likely as others to have been considered, given the way she changes her mind (and tracklists) on a whim. Honestly, I'm really surprised that no songs were added or subtracted between AKA's recording in '07 and its release in '10, and I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason it DIDN'T happen is because Lana didn't have quite the level of creative control then that she'd gain later! Thinking about the alt-timeline AKA with Hundred Dollar Bill on it :toofunny:

o4qjp4j.png

7 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

lana if you're reading this it's never too late to ask david kahne for all of the outtakes :et: 

lana it's never to late to email david kahne and give him permission to upload all your work so we can appreciate it :et: 

sUcVobB.png

2 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i always imagined mermaid hotel sounding like the live version :sluttybunny:

I see it being like a mixture of the demo and the final, with a hint of the country-twang in Lana's voice that she used to do in the live version. Like the love child of those three versions :grinds:

imageproxy.jpg

4 minutes ago, sparklrtrailrheaven said:

Thinking about the alt-timeline AKA with Hundred Dollar Bill on it :toofunny:

i mean issa bop, but wasnt it made around the early BTD sessions vs later AKA sessions?

5 minutes ago, The Siren said:

i mean issa bop, but wasnt it made around the early BTD sessions vs later AKA sessions?

we can't say for sure if it was originally intended for "born to die" from the very beginning, but yes, it's considered a born to die outtake

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

Just now, IanadeIrey said:

Obsessed with this record at the moment! @Surf Noir @Super Movie I’m joining your little Lizzy Grant club and campaigning for the QOTGS video — we can be a triad! :heart:

The Three Musketeers - QOTGS edition 

I've been super into AKA lately as well and all the mysteries that surround it 

imageproxy.jpg

3 minutes ago, The Siren said:

It's hard to say! She recorded the first version with Kahne in 2009, which was technically after the AKA sessions had wrapped, but I don't imagine she was really thinking about BtD yet -- just still kind of recording songs as they came to her. You could argue it as more of an AKA song (recorded with David Kahne, before AKA was even officially released) or as more of a BtD song (AKA sessions were done, it appeared on a BtD sampler), but neither distinction really means much, since it was kind of a freeform, floating track unattached to any project officially.

o4qjp4j.png

This album was made for vinyl. I'm listening to my copy right now and it just sounds so much better than it does when I listen off my phone or laptop. I wonder if Lana had ever considered releasing the album physically before it was released and pulled from iTunes (most likely not, but still a fun thought to entertain). 

imageproxy.jpg

4 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

apparently honeymouns said there was a lot of aka stuff left to leak... i would like to see it... :true: 

PLEASE Honeymouns :trisha: 

my DREAM is a Lizzy Grant mass leakmas :trisha: 

3 hours ago, Super Movie said:

This album was made for vinyl. I'm listening to my copy right now and it just sounds so much better than it does when I listen off my phone or laptop. I wonder if Lana had ever considered releasing the album physically before it was released and pulled from iTunes (most likely not, but still a fun thought to entertain). 

i always wondered how fan made physicals sounded :trisha: