PrettyBaby

Create an Unreleased Lana Album/Playlist

I've been trying to put together a good surf/surf noir playlist and this is what I have currently. Any suggestions?

Surf

1. Hawaiian Tropic

2. In the Sun

3. National Anthem (Demo 2)

4. TV in Black & White

5. Blue Jeans

6. West Coast

7. Trash (Magic) (Demo - the one spliced together with The Man I Love)

8. Lolita (Grech Demo Mix)

9. Driving in Cars with Boys

10. Queen of the Gas Station

11. Every Man Gets His Wish

12. Kill Kill

13. Backfire

14. Shades of Cool

Obviously not all of these are really "surf," but I also wanted to include some songs that I really enjoy listening to no matter what mood I'm in.

I realized yesterday that nearly all my unreleased covers are candids, except for Miss America. In an effort to take advantage of her numerous professional shoots, I turned to my man Trash to do this Vulgar Darling cover and I switched the positions of MMITPM and YCBTB in the tracklist. It's really good now! This has been the least appealing volume to me ever since I made it because it came about so late and I was already attached to all the existing volumes, but now I love it tbh. This cover is great too because somehow it also goes with the more serious songs like BOY and TOSTB. Also rock/Nirvana inspo is appropriate with the aggressive theme, plus she's the vulgar darling in the swimming pool.

gi7dfzi.png

Roller Derby

1. Hawaiian Tropic

2. Paris

3. Every Man Gets His Wish

4. Diet Mtn Dew (Demo #2)

5. Hollywood's Dead

6. Live Or Die

7. Kinda Outta Luck

8. You Can Be The Boss

9. Pin Up Galore

10. Yayo (from A.K.A.)

11. Trash Magic

12. Drive By

13. For K Part 2

14. Bad Disease

15. Pawn Shop Blues

16. Kill Kill

[cont.]

[cont.]

17. Methamphetamines

18. Jump

19. Live or Die

20. Jealous Girl

21. Party Girl (St. Tropez)

22. Queen of the Gas Station

23. Queen of Disaster

24. Hit and Run

Guest Dot

Alright, so  I thought about making my own Lana Del Rey playlist, because I enjoy a playlist that follows a clear theme and I thought basing it around the story told by Lana during the ride monologue was a perfect fit.

It's basically Lana's released discography (with the exception of AKA) with some outtakes and unreleased songs thrown in. Please let me know what you think! I actually think that it flows very very well, lyrically and sonically.

THEOTHERWO0829.png

I chose this title, because I think it's such a nice and beautiful concept. To me this title stand for two things: Being a mistress and being someone else, someone you want to be.

• - Ride (Monologue, Part 1) -
  • Hollywood
  • Florida Kilos
  • Diet Mountain Dew
  • Lolita
  • This Is What Makes Us Girls
  • Carmen
  • - Paradise Lost (Monologue) -
  • Gods & Monsters
  • Money Power Glory
  • Fucked My Way Up to the Top
  • Serial Killer
  • Off to the Races
  • Million Dollar Man
  • Sad Girl
  • Yayo
  • Video Games
  • Lucky Ones
  • Once Upon a Dream
  • Body Electric
  • Dark Paradise
  • - I Sing the Body Electric (Monologue) -
  • Blue Jeans
  • Ultraviolence
  • Born to Die
  • Pretty When You Cry
  • Flipside
  • Cruel World
  • - Ride (Monologue, Part 2) -
  • Ride
  • Angels Forever, Forever Angels
  • You & Me
  • Guns & Roses
  • Black Beauty
  • Shades of Cool
  • Tired of Singing the Blues
  • West Coast
  • Tonight
  • Chelsea Hotel No. 2
  • - Song of Myself -
  • Cola
  • Brooklyn Baby
  • Summer Wine
  • Summertime Sadness
  • Burning Desire
  • Radio
  • American
  • - Happy Birthday, Mr. President -
  • JFK
  • National Anthem
  • - Monologue of a Broken Heart -
  • Is This Happiness
  • Young & Beautiful
  • Without You
  • - Hotel Sayre -
  • Bel Air
  • Old Money
  • Blue Velvet
  • Because of You
  • The Other Woman

Section 1 (Tracks 2-8): "Carmen" - a young teenage girl drives around the US and "relies on the kindness of strangers" to have fun and live a life without consequences. She has dreams of becoming a star one day, but ends up getting lost somewhere in the middle of LA with nowhere and starts drinking.

Section 2 (Tracks 10-15): "The Garden of Evil" - this section follows the whole "Gagansta Nancy Sinatra"/ mafioso bride theme.

Section 3 (Tracks 16-28): "Heaven on Earth" - The protagonist meets a guy, who is so different from her, yet seems like a perfect fit. He is a drug dealer who lives a troubled lifestyle and eventhough she'll "love him till the end of time" she realizes that she has to let him go.

Section 4 (Tracks 30-39): "Open Road" - After loosing everything, Lana has learned what true freedom is. She joins a biker gang and "just rides" looking for freedom, happiness and true love. Her heavy metal love, is a good guy, but he is incapable of loving her.

Section 5 (Tracks 41-50): "The American Dream" - Lana has found true love and escapes with him to chase the American dream. They end up getting what they both dreamt of, which turns out to have consequences for their relationship.

Section 6 (Tracks 52-60): "Marilyn" or "The Other Woman" - The young trouble teenager has become a famous singer and her man an influential politician (Marilyn / JFK). They realize that their lives have become so different that they're not able to live with each other any longer. Lana still loves him and says that she can't live without him, eventhough she has all she ever dreamt of. She has found true love, but her man lives a new life with another woman and tries to keep their realtionship a secret, while Lana an older woman now keeps reflecting on her youth and the way they loved each other. She offers that she'll wait for him to fully return to her. She knows that he'll still love her when she's not young and beautiful anymore but also knows that she'll forever be "The Other Woman".

Well, I got halfway through @@Rebel 's epic playlist... but it's like so many stories at once, I kinda got information overload! Too...much...beauty...

So I got inspired to make two shorter playlists. Some of these are songs I rarely listen to, so it's nice to finally have a reason.

Strange Love

1. Pin Up Galore

2. Strange Love

3. Rehab

4. On Our Way

5. Queen of the Gas Station

6. Never Let Me Go

7. Yayo (2010)

8. Sad Girl

9. Gramma

10. Ride (video version)

11. Guns and Roses

12. Angels Forever, Forever Angels

...AAAAAAAND I'm finally falling in love with "Sad Girl." (Musical context is everything for me.)

DOPE CINEMA

1. Tropico (Score)

2. Body Electric

3. Cola

4. Radio (Instrumental)

5. Video Games

6. Hotel Sayre

7. Young and Beautiful

8. National Anthem (video version)

9. Blue Jeans (video version with strings intro)

10. Once Upon a Dream

11. Million Dollar Man (demo)

12. The Other Woman (instrumental)

13. Blue Velvet

14. Old Money

15. Ride (instrumental with strings intro)

16. Born to Die

17. Bel Air (with intro)

Sort of my own version of Tropico, somewhat more mellow so I can listen at bedtime :D

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I did some "unreleased" Playlists, which I burned on CDs .

This one is called "Butterflies" and it's my favourite one.

d3goaqur.jpg

yw9wpq76.jpg

"In The Sun"

q5og5d7h.jpg

35ja6tkh.jpg

"Teenage Wasteland"

3f3ard9t.jpg

towyyrwr.jpg

"Behind Closed Doors" (This one has the demo version of BCD, I did it before the "In The Sun" playlist)

fwbfkwl4.jpg

uux3bale.jpg

"Driving In Cars With Boys"

mvq3vaac.jpg

j3ycrwnd.jpg

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I started out wanting to make an unreleased 'pop' Lana album. Stuff like GGD, St Tropez, Behind Closed Doors, Hit & Run. It somehow ended up being an album of anything that is remotely viable for mainstream with a loose storyline.

More Than Just A Party Girl

Songs in bold are ones I'm thinking of removing to make a 'purely pop' playlist.

• Go Go Dance
  • St. Tropez
  • Ooh Baby
  • Hit And Run (1st version)
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • True Love On The Side
  • Paradise
  • Queen of Disaster
  • In The Sun
  • Jealous Girl
  • She's Not Me (Ride or Die)
  • Driving in Cars with Boys (V2)
  • Puppy Love (Marylin Monroe)
  • Prom Song (Gone Wrong)
  • Take Me To Paris
  • Butterflies
  • You Can Be The Boss
  • Daddy Issues (Ft. Aaron Lacrate)
  • Beautiful Player
  • Dum Dum (Version 3)
  • Scarface
  • Backfire
  • TV in Black & White
  • Making Out (Version 1)
  • Meet Me In The Pale Moonlight
  • Butterflies Part 2
  • Ghetto Baby
  • Delicious
  • Match Made In Heaven
  • Big Bad Wolf
  • Push Me Down
  • Is It Wrong?
  • Lift Your Eyes (looped)
  • Break My Fall
  • Live Or Die

Here's the story:

We meet Lana dancing in a club, explaining how she uses men to get money and how she's just looking for fun (Go Go Dancer). She meets a hot-shot trying to get with her, but she's wary and explains her job (St. Tropez). They end up dancing anyway (Ooh Baby). She discovers that he's a record executive and wants to team up with him (Hit & Run). He's not into a public relationship, so she unknowingly ends up as the other woman (Behind Closed Doors, True Love On The Side). She doesn't know he has a wife, and she's in heaven with this gangsta guy (Paradise, Queen of Disaster). She discovers that he has another relationship and breaks off the relationship (In the Sun, Jealous Girl, She's Not Me).

She turns to hanging out with boys and having casual relationships (Driving in cars with Boys), and falls for a teacher (Puppy Love). She decides that she wants to run away with him (Prom Song, Take Me To Paris) and he doesn't want to. The relationship disintegrates (Butterflies). 

She meets a rough Stanley Kowalski-meets-the-mafia type and falls head over heels for him. (You Can Be The Boss, Daddy Issues, Beautiful Player). The record executive wants her back at this time, and she's not interested anymore (Dum Dum). Her guy, Salvatore, is involved in some sketchy stuff (Scarface, Backfire) and ends up in prison (TV in black and white).

She's devastated and turns to promiscuity to block out her emotions (Making Out, Meet Me In The Pale Moonlight). She meets a manipulative 'holy man' and gets involved with him (Butterflies Part 2). She notices his wandering eye and gets upset (Delicious).

She ends the fling by hooking up with her local rock star (Ghetto Baby, Match made In Heaven). They have a very physical relationship (Big Bad Wolf, Push Me Down), and she ends up unable to leave him (is it wrong?) despite his alcoholism (Lift Your Eyes). He breaks up with her and she asks him not to sugar coat things (Break My Fall). She's lonely once again, and the story ends with her propositioning a new man to continue the cycle.

Here's one that's more purely pop. As one person put it, imagine if Lana debuted as a pop artist instead of doing her sad cinematic pop.
Just A Party Girl

1. Behind Closed Doors
  2. Butterflies Part 2
  3. True Love On The Side
  4. Shes's not me (ride or die)
  5. Push me down
  6. Lift your eyes
  7. Ghetto Baby
  8. Fake Diamond
  9. Butterflies
  10. St Tropez
  11. Is it wrong?
  12. Driving in cars with boys (v2)
  13. Live Or Die
  14. Go go dancer
  15. Ooh baby
  16. Hit and run (v1)
  17. Jealous Girl
  18. Paradise
  19. In The Sun
  20. Puppy Love
  21. Queen of Disaster
  22. Prom Song
  23. Take Me To Paris
  24. Never Let Me Go
  25. TV in black and white
  26. Break My Fall

I need help with this playlist. I don't want it to include any low quality songs or demos (that's why Summer of Sam and Match Made In Heaven aren't here). I also feel like this is too long. Ideally I'd cut it down to make 17-19 songs. Bolded songs are ones I might remove. @@PrettyBaby help? *puppy dog eyes*

Here's one that's more purely pop. As one person put it, imagine if Lana debuted as a pop artist instead of doing her sad cinematic pop.

Just A Party Girl

1. Behind Closed Doors
  2. Butterflies Part 2
  3. True Love On The Side
  4. Shes's not me (ride or die)
  5. Push me down
  6. Lift your eyes
  7. Ghetto Baby
  8. Fake Diamond
  9. Butterflies
  10. St Tropez
  11. Is it wrong?
  12. Driving in cars with boys (v2)
  13. Live Or Die
  14. Go go dancer
  15. Ooh baby
  16. Hit and run (v1)
  17. Jealous Girl
  18. Paradise
  19. In The Sun
  20. Puppy Love
  21. Queen of Disaster
  22. Prom Song
  23. Take Me To Paris
  24. Never Let Me Go
  25. TV in black and white
  26. Break My Fall

I need help with this playlist. I don't want it to include any low quality songs or demos (that's why Summer of Sam and Match Made In Heaven aren't here). I also feel like this is too long. Ideally I'd cut it down to make 17-19 songs. Bolded songs are ones I might remove. @@PrettyBaby help? *puppy dog eyes*

Oooh, I've loaded this into iTunes, and when I get a chance I'll take a listen. Offhand, I'd say yes, delete the bolded ones, as I think you've succeeded in identifying the ones with a somewhat different sound, and that would take the playlist under 80 minutes. (Though I do like Never Let Me Go toward the end... :/ ) But I'll listen to it and see how it flows, and if any other song sticks out as a candidate for removing.

Here's my LDR playlist.  They're simply the songs I like, in the order I like (in album order).

(from Born To Die)

1. Video Games

2. Blue Jeans

3. Dark Paradise

4. Summertime Sadness

5. Born To Die

6. Without You

7. Lucky Ones

8. National Anthem

(from Paradise EP)

9. American

10. Body Electric

11. Blue Velvet

(from Gatsby soundtrack)

12. Young and Beautiful

(from Maleficent soundtrack)

13. Once Upon a Dream

(from Ultraviolence)

14. Brooklyn Baby

15. West Coast

16. Old Money

17. Black Beauty

Side note:  The Born To Die tracks are in a different order than they are on the actual album.  If it were up to me, Video Games would be the first track on the album, and then the others that I like would be in the order I listed them above, with the ones I don't particularly care for inserted in between somewhere... :)

I've made two super short but super sweet playlists of her pop songs.

9QkAvyU.png

1. Go Go Dancer

2. Meet Me In The Pale Moonlight

3. Paradise

4. She's Not Me (Ride Or Die)

5. Every Man Gets His Wish

6. Come When You Call Me (Version 2)

7. Hollywood's Dead

8. Kinda Outta Luck

9. Fake Diamond

10. Paris

ojpRiEj.png

1. Hollywood

2. Summer Wine

3. Summer of Sam

4. St. Tropez

5. Maha Maha (IDK where to put it)

6. Boarding School

7. Hot Hot Hot

8. Back to the Basics

9. Queen of Disaster

10. Jealous Girl

I need people's opinions on my "outtakes" albums.

Born to Die - The B-Sides

1. Put the Radio On

2. Hundred Dollar Bill

3. Dum Dum

4. Velvet Crowbar

5. You Can Be the Boss

6. Driving In Cars With Boys

7. Marilyn Monroe

8. Fake Diamond

9. Live Or Die

10. Us Against the World

11. Kinda Outta Luck

12. Hollywood's Dead

13. Damn You

14. Serial Killer

15. You and Me

I saw this album including the songs that I thought would have been heavily considered for the album before the direction changed to something less pop-oriented. MM, FD, and LoD are questionable to me.

Paradise - The B-Sides

1. Angels Forever

2. I Don't Wanna Go

3. Young and Beautiful (Demo)

4. Chelsea Hotel #2

5. Because of You

6. JFK

7. Starry Eyed

8. Hollywood

I included AF and CH to add length to the album.

Is there anything you'd change about these? I'm having an issue with flow between songs. Help would be much appreciated. :)

1. Put the Radio On

2. Hundred Dollar Bill

3. Dum Dum

4. Velvet Crowbar

5. You Can Be the Boss

7. Marilyn Monroe

8. Fake Diamond

9. Live Or Die

10. Us Against the World

11. Kinda Outta Luck

12. Hollywood's Dead

13. Damn You

14. Serial Killer

15. You and Me

I saw this album including the songs that I thought would have been heavily considered for the album before the direction changed to something less pop-oriented. MM, FD, and LoD are questionable to me.

The three you mention are from 2011, so good guesses. Live or Die was supposed to have been on that 18-track preview before BTD, so I think that one is a very good guess.

I think Hundred Dollar Bill works if you mean the 3:13 version. I don't know about Velvet Crowbar, though. It's from 2010 and more of a rock song, so it sticks out imo... but I don't think we can say with any authority what "belongs" or doesn't, so if you love it, leave it in :)

Sounds like a good one; i'mma take a listen...

Paradise - The B-Sides

1. Angels Forever

2. I Don't Wanna Go

3. Young and Beautiful (Demo)

4. Chelsea Hotel #2

5. Because of You

6. JFK

7. Starry Eyed

8. Hollywood

I included AF and CH to add length to the album.

Is there anything you'd change about these? I'm having an issue with flow between songs. Help would be much appreciated. :)

I would end with AF or CH#2, personally. Hollywood makes a good opener. Maybe try this order for flow? :

1. Hollywood

2. Young and Beautiful (Demo)

3. Because of You

4. JFK

5. Starry Eyed

6. Angels Forever

7. I Don't Wanna Go

8. Chelsea Hotel #2

@@PrettyBaby thanks for the input! I cut the BtD album down a little so it would be more concise and cohesive. Now its:

1. Hundred Dollar Bill (I like both versions here, tbh)

2. Dum Dum

3. You Can Be the Boss

4. Driving In Cars With Boys

5. Kinda Outta Luck

6. Put the Radio On

7. Velvet Crowbar

8. Hollywood's Dead

9. Damn You

10. Us Against the World

11. Serial Killer

12. You and Me

I don't know what it is about VC lol I just associate it with BtD for no good reason. If there are any songs you'd take away or add in, after you listen to the first tracklist, let me know. Your suggestions are great!

And so on point with the Paradise tracklist! It flows *so* much better!

Okay, this is a great collection of songs. I think with the first tracklist you have flow *IF* you switch places for "Hundred Dollar Bill" and "Us Against the World" (assuming the 3:13 version of HDB... I just associate the 4:01 version so much with AKA.)

@@PrettyBaby thanks for the input! I cut the BtD album down a little so it would be more concise and cohesive. Now its:

1. Hundred Dollar Bill (I like both versions here, tbh)
2. Dum Dum
3. You Can Be the Boss
4. Driving In Cars With Boys
5. Kinda Outta Luck
6. Put the Radio On
7. Velvet Crowbar
8. Hollywood's Dead
9. Damn You
10. Us Against the World
11. Serial Killer
12. You and Me

I think you've achieved sonic flow with this tracklist. Thematically, I can't help but feel UATW should be moved to early on. I also think Live or Die should have a place somewhere. (Other possibilities are Queen of Disaster, TV in Black & White, and Prom Song (Gone Wrong).)

I'm keeping this collection  :) but this will be my tracklist:

1. Dum Dum

2. Us Against the World

3. Put the Radio On

4. Last Girl on Earth

5. You Can Be the Boss

7. Live or Die

8. Hundred Dollar Bill (3:13 demo)

9. Kinda Outta Luck

10. Hollywood's Dead

11. Damn You

12. Serial Killer

13. You and Me

1. Put the Radio On

2. Hundred Dollar Bill

3. Dum Dum

4. Velvet Crowbar

5. You Can Be the Boss

7. Marilyn Monroe

8. Fake Diamond

9. Live Or Die

10. Us Against the World

11. Kinda Outta Luck

12. Hollywood's Dead

13. Damn You

14. Serial Killer

15. You and Me

This playlist has been bringing a lot of happiness into my life :)

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png