Subversive

LDR5 - Pre-Pre-Release Annual Meltdown and Discussion Thread

UV had 11 trakcs and we got 5 bonus songs. The 11 track main album is pretty well done and cohesive while the bonus tracks still match the album's sound, yet show some different sides of that style.

That's a difference to having 14 tracks HM which just drags on and on and on before ending.

I am so fascinated with Honeymoon, I have a really hard time understanding why you guys feel like it's slow and boring. The whole album makes me feel so many different things, I think "dreamy" is the word that mostly comes to describe it, in my opinion. From the very first moments, when the violins start until the last verses of DLMBM I feel goosebumps. I feel it's so cohesive, the songs are so well-done, the production really makes me impressed, even a whole year after it's releasing. I feel like it's the album (from the ones we heard up to now) where the production was most flawless. I will forever be in love with Ultraviolence (which is, right now, my favourite), but I think that, a few years in the future, HM will be the album I will listen to feel the summer, the wind and the energy around me.

PS: Please, I really would like to talk about it, but don't be rude. I've been here in Lanaboards for over 3 years, but the opinions are so unrespected sometimes that I have never (until now) decided to put my thoughts out.

I am so fascinated with Honeymoon, I have a really hard time understanding why you guys feel like it's slow and boring. The whole album makes me feel so many different things, I think "dreamy" is the word that mostly comes to describe it, in my opinion. From the very first moments, when the violins start until the last verses of DLMBM I feel goosebumps. I feel it's so cohesive, the songs are so well-done, the production really makes me impressed, even a whole year after it's releasing. I feel like it's the album (from the ones we heard up to now) where the production was most flawless. I will forever be in love with Ultraviolence (which is, right now, my favourite), but I think that, a few years in the future, HM will be the album I will listen to feel the summer, the wind and the energy around me.

PS: Please, I really would like to talk about it, but don't be rude. I've been here in Lanaboards for over 3 years, but the opinions are so unrespected sometimes that I have never (until now) decided to put my thoughts out.

I think HM is strong - up until it gets to the interlude. Once it hits, the songs seem to drag out a bit more, the only exception to this is SALVATORE & DLMBM. The songs that drag the most (but are still amazing of course) are 24 & swan Song. Also, BLACKEST DAY is so repetitive towards the end ... that would be my only frustration with the 2nd portion of HM.

I think HM is strong - up until it gets to the interlude. Once it hits, the songs seem to drag out a bit more, the only exception to this is SALVATORE & DLMBM. The songs that drag the most (but are still amazing of course) are 24 & swan Song. Also, BLACKEST DAY is so repetitive towards the end ... that would be my only frustration with the 2nd portion of HM.

Agreed, I also think that it loses its drive after BN... Like the first tracks have a coherent theme and aesthetic, and after BN, when you expect her to get even more serious about it, she just derails it up until DLMBM ; which does offer like an ending to the record's story, only you don't get the 2ond part of it . Swan Song may still fit, but sonically it's just so identical to everything from Salvatore to DLMBM that it really drags, and these tracks feel sterile and impersonal to me.

Agreed, I also think that it loses its drive after BN... Like the first tracks have a coherent theme and aesthetic, and after BN, when you expect her to get even more serious about it, she just derails it up until DLMBM ; which does offer like an ending to the record's story, only you don't get the 2ond part of it . Swan Song may still fit, but sonically it's just so identical to everything from Salvatore to DLMBM that it really drags, and these tracks feel so sterile and impersonal to me.

what sucks the most is that RELIGION was the perfect song to follow BN ... she definitely could have kept 24 & Swan Song as bonus tracks cuz RELIGION, SALVATORE, TBD, & DLMBM would have been great to end the album. but again, the repetitiveness of TBD kills me. 

I think it's so enriching to see how people feel the albums in different ways. After the Interlude I feel like the atmosphere changes a lot. 24 is probably the song I like the least (Sometimes I catch myself skipping it), but when Religion is almost ending and the beats start to slow down so that the Salvatore intro can begin I literally almost cry everytime. After Salvatore I really feel like the album is coming towards its end, like, she is starting to close the story she opened back there. Swan Song is a really strong song for me, I feel there is a spiritual meaning behind the lyrics, something like the arterlife, I don't know. The production helps a lot to build that, like, the violins are so languid, give me cloudy feelings, I don't know how to express that well. When the album ends I feel an incredible urge to play it out all over again (which happens often) just to have all those emotions again. It's like I listen to it for the first time everytime I play it. 

I think ti's so enriching to see how people feel the albums in different ways. After the Interlude I feel like the atmosphere changes a lot. 24 is probably the song I like the least (Sometimes I catch myself skipping it), but when Religion is almost ending and the beats start slow down so that the Salvatore intro can begin I literally almost cry everytime. After Salvatore I really feel like the album is coming towards its end, like, she is starting to close the story she opened back there. Swan Song is a really strong song for me, I feel there is a spiritual meaning behind the lyrics, something like the arterlife, I don't know. The production helps a lot to build that, like, the violins are so languid, give me cloudy feelings, I don't know how to express that well. When the album ends I feel an incredible urge to play it out all over again (which happens often) just to have all those emotions again. It's like I listen to it for the first time everytime I play it. 

thanks for reminding me about the slight overlap from RELIGION to SALVATORE. i always forget that they bleed into each other. that is heaven.  :flutter:

thanks for reminding me about the slight overlap from RELIGION to SALVATORE. i always forget that they bleed into each other. that is heaven.  :flutter:

The flute session in the beggining with the crying man before the cellos start with the melody ALWAYS makes me feel amazed by its perfection.

The flute session in the beggining with the crying man before the cellos start with the melody ALWAYS makes me feel amazed by its perfection.

This song makes me emotional. :crai:

Also The Blackest Day is amazing... it's repetitive but it doesn't drag on at all. It's epic, melodramatic Lana at her cheesiest / most cinematic. It's a KILLER ballad!! Honeymoon is a gorgeous album.  :thumb2:

14417469274.gif

I really do think Honeymoon is her best album. I think people were just not ready for new music by Lana when it was released. I know I was still enjoying UV by the time she put it out but now I really do appreciate it the most. High By The Beach is a campy gem :P

I think Honeymoon is not a bad album, I actually like it and the songs on their own are all pretty nice. But the tracklist and the overall lack of diversity just drowns them out.

Honeymoon is a nice, beautiful track to start an album with a slow song because it builds up a lot of tension. MTWBT is a nice follow up but then we instantly get two slow, sad ballads. Then the album finally manages to pick up a bit of spice with HBTB/Freak/Art Deco but immediatly loses this spark again. religion and Salvatore are nice songs, but they just feel super boring within the context of the album. And then we get three beautiful, yet slow and heavy cinematic tracks which are all pretty long. And then it finishes with DLMBM, which is really sucking out all the life that may have been left in you. UV wasn't upbeat and very cohesive but it carried a lot of "fire" and never had a stale tempo/sound. HM has this very laid-back production, which is nice, but the fact that from Art Deco onwards we don't get any tempo change on the record anymore makes the whole thing sound reeeeally boring, even though the tracks on their own are really nice.

Honeymoon is a very solid Lana album but it really isn't as exciting as BtD/P/UV and the fact she's not doing promo anymore does not help.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Also I forgot to mention this because some of you got on my nerves last night when I was peaceful

She did in fact worked with Emile Huntie and she seems to love the song they did together (she told me which one but I obviously can't spill that much)

Bye for now gays and rats

I'm hoping for 11 songs with 5 deluxe tracks between itunes/ target/ japan and whatever, just like UV. It make's it exciting when you listen to the whole album and you realize you still have a track from Japan or something that you haven't heard yet.

Also I forgot to mention this because some of you got on my nerves last night when I was peaceful

She did in fact worked with Emile Huntie and she seems to love the song they did together (she told me which one but I obviously can't spill that much)

Bye for now gays and rats

YAS I KNEW IT

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

"the song" so just the one huh

But have yall seen the tweet eclipse posted too?? He said Rick, Emile "and more"...

Multiple producers for ldr5 = varied sound :flutter:

I want that jonathan wilson and justin parker goodness :hooker:

FmgKWb8.gif?1     HNqlJGD.gif

Then the album finally manages to pick up a bit of spice with HBTB/Freak/Art Deco but immediatly loses this spark again. religion and Salvatore are nice songs, but they just feel super boring within the context of the album. And then we get three beautiful, yet slow and heavy cinematic tracks which are all pretty long. And then it finishes with DLMBM, which is really sucking out all the life that may have been left in you. UV wasn't upbeat and very cohesive but it carried a lot of "fire" and never had a stale tempo/sound. HM has this very laid-back production, which is nice, but the fact that from Art Deco onwards we don't get any tempo change on the record anymore makes the whole thing sound reeeeally boring, even though the tracks on their own are really nice.

I mean I understand the tempo change (well, lack thereof) complaint, I just completely disagree about Religion & Salvatore being boring! Lol. I actually feel like Swan Song is more of a dud. The end of the album is the only underwhelming part in my opinion.  :lanahottie:

14417469274.gif

I think Honeymoon is not a bad album, I actually like it and the songs on their own are all pretty nice. But the tracklist and the overall lack of diversity just drowns them out.

Honeymoon is a nice, beautiful track to start an album with a slow song because it builds up a lot of tension. MTWBT is a nice follow up but then we instantly get two slow, sad ballads. Then the album finally manages to pick up a bit of spice with HBTB/Freak/Art Deco but immediatly loses this spark again. religion and Salvatore are nice songs, but they just feel super boring within the context of the album. And then we get three beautiful, yet slow and heavy cinematic tracks which are all pretty long. And then it finishes with DLMBM, which is really sucking out all the life that may have been left in you. UV wasn't upbeat and very cohesive but it carried a lot of "fire" and never had a stale tempo/sound. HM has this very laid-back production, which is nice, but the fact that from Art Deco onwards we don't get any tempo change on the record anymore makes the whole thing sound reeeeally boring, even though the tracks on their own are really nice.

Honeymoon is a very solid Lana album but it really isn't as exciting as BtD/P/UV and the fact she's not doing promo anymore does not help.

I think I understand what you feel, even though I feel different, almost opposite things to the "slowness" of the album. It's weird for me because, even though Born to Die was the album that made me fall in love with Lana back in 2012, now that he have its follow-ups, I look back and think that Born to Die is the one which lacked diversity (please, don't throw rocks at me). Like, besides Video Games, Carmen and Million Dollar Man, I feel like all the songs have similar beats. Like, you can seriously put the lyrics of Summertime Sadness, for example, in the instrumental of Dark Paradise and it fits incredibly perfect ('cause it's almost the same instrumental). The same beats all over the album seem like they just took her previous songs and gave them a style that was unique so they could make them similar to fit and build an album (which, let's be honest, is what happened). I say this looking back, but for years Born to Die was the album of my life and I thought Lana could never create something more perfect than that.

But with Ultraviolence I saw her ability to create intense and complex melodies with a variety of instruments, which was really impressive to me. With Honeymoon that was only enabled forward, in my opinion. I feel like the songs in HM are just flawless, it's the album where we can see (and feel) how much she's grown in the past few years, with all the bullshit whe went through with the media and how that didn't change at all her urge to create and express herself throughout her songs. I wish I could express my thoughts better, I'm dying here hahaha. I guess HM will be my favourite album in a few years, the title-track just makes me wanna cry every single time I listen to it, it's so damn sensible and divine.

After all, her albums are just getting better. And that's what makes me desperately for this new one (hope it's really soon, at least the lead single).

I mean I understand the tempo change (well, lack thereof) complaint, I just completely disagree about Religion & Salvatore being boring! Lol. I actually feel like Swan Song is more of a dud. The end of the album is the only underwhelming part in my opinion.  :lanahottie:

I don't say the SONGS are boring. Religion was my fav song on the album when it came out. But when I listen through HM and then after AD's faded out in that very laid back way, we get this (also pretty uneventful interlude and the Religion and Salvatore come and it's just ... yawn.

I think Swan Song would have been a wonderful unsettling and dramatic closer for an album if it wasn't for the fact that all the songs BEFORE were already so slow. It has this really nice vibe, there is something ... uncomfortable with it but in a good way.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!